Tracing McGowns of Campbeltown

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Tracing McGowns of Campbeltown

Postby smythpa » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Hello Kintyre people

I’ve traced my family back to the McGowns in Campbeltown in the mid-1800s but now I’m stuck going further back.

My connection to Campbeltown is through Daniel McGown who married Jane Connell in Dublin. Daniel was born in Campbeltown around 1848 (based on census information). His parents were Archibald McGown and Agnes (Nancy) McLeary (or McLeary) who married in Campbeltown in May 1835.

Where I’d like your help is

1. I can’t find a birth record for Daniel McGown around 1848.
2. I can’t find birth details for his parents Archibald & Agnes who were born around 1817/1818 based on census information.
3. I’d like to get back to a previous generation so finding Archibald & Agnes’s parents and their details & records would be a fantastic help.

I’ve got accounts with Ancestry, FindMyPast, My Heritage and access to ScotlandsPeople but I’ve not had any luck tracking these details down.

Any help would be much appreciated. I’d also love to find any graves from the McGowns who are buried in Kintyre as I’d love to visit the area soon.

Thanks
smythpa
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Tracing McGowns of Campbeltown

Postby Iain » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:27 pm

Hi..., and welcome to The Kintyre Forum.
Not impossible that Covid has had an effect on any Admin reply. Not sure, however, your post is visible.

I had a look around for your Daniel but without sucess.
Why not try https://www.rootschat.com/forum/
I am 100% certain they will be able to help you.

Good luck..., Iain. :wink:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy