Campbeltown Memories

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby Sweltered » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:53 am

I remember getting hot orange in the Mayfair when I was wee. I also remeber a tearoom, possibly where Sportif was originally.

George Mcmillans chippy where the Golden Ocean is now had the best Haggis suppers :D But, the sink in the kitchen drained out via a welly boot with the toe cut off and stuck through a hole in the wall.

Or so my faither telt me. He by the way was a stalwart of the Mayfair Thistle.....could play keepy up the whole length of Carradale sands, could jump a five bar gate from a standing start and famously missed the corner at Auld Crouch when his brakes failed on his bike and he carried on straight through the Rhoddendrons. :lol:
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Nostalgia...

Postby Machrihanish » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:26 am

George Mcmillans chippy where the Golden Ocean is now had the best Haggis suppers
I would second that, almost forgot about that chippy !!
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:45 am

YABBA DABBA DO :lol: :wink:
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Hey

Postby Annie » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:50 am

My first summer job was in the Golden Ocean. I can't believe the darn thing is still there!!!!!!!!!!![/i]
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Golden Ocean

Postby Machrihanish » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:37 pm

The food isn't as good now the chef has moved elsewhere in the town !!
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Golden Ocean

Postby Frosty » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:14 pm

The Restaurant is still there , but I can't say whether the food or the service is as good as it was in days gone by !
Is Alan ? the manager or has he left too ? I used to think the food was great , but after trying Chinese in various cities I now realise that it was at best average.
I'm sure that the Restaurant was initally half the size it is now , didn't they take over a clothes shop that was next door and knock through to make it as it is at present?

I can also remember the vans which Oorly talked about , they used to do the circuit of Davaar Avenue etc bang on the same time most nights, there doesn't seem to be anything like that doing the rounds at present.

Elaines van seems to be providing a great service in the Toon , from early morning 'till late , though

The Mayfair used to have that great Coffee made from the Steam Boiler on the counter. You could always hear them injecting the milk to heat it up , the first milky coffee that I ever had , without even going abroad and before anyone had thought of Coffee Houses.

A Great Topic and brilliant memories of old times , thanks.
fROSTY
Last edited by Frosty on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Golden Ocean

Postby Machrihanish » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:07 pm

The Resturant is still there , but I can't say whether the food or the service is as good as it was in days gone by !

Frosty, I can confirm it isn't as good as it used to be. I remember the big stainless steel boilers in the Mayfair, great coffee :)
Cheers
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Willie D » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:11 am

Sweltered wrote: I also remeber a tearoom, possibly where Sportif was originally.

Sweltered - I think it was called 'The Central Tearoom' - don't remember our crowd using it tho'- but I do mind George's chippy & also the one where assessors is now, in Bolgam St. - it's mentioned elsewhere in the forum & was called 'The Loch'.
'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out'
Willie D
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Tea Rooms

Postby Machrihanish » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:19 am

Must have been before my time Sweltered :) Looking at some old postcards I have of the wee toon there were lots of Tea Rooms.
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sweltered » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:59 am

Willie D wrote:
Sweltered wrote: I also remeber a tearoom, possibly where Sportif was originally.

Sweltered - I think it was called 'The Central Tearoom' - don't remember our crowd using it tho'- but I do mind George's chippy & also the one where assessors is now, in Bolgam St. - it's mentioned elsewhere in the forum & was called 'The Loch'.

The loch restaurant didn't last long as I recall. As for Chinese Restaurants, the Campbeltown Chinese, upstairs of the Mayfair, was far better than the Golden Ocean.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:51 am

I can also remember the vans which Oorly talked about , they used to do the circuit of Davaar Avenue etc bang on the same time most nights, there doesn't seem to be anything like that doing the rounds at present.

The two brother's, Gordon and Bobby McKay. We use to queue on the pavement when we could hear the vans horn further round the scheme.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jeanette » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:24 am

Jdcarra

I remember the ice-crean van run by Charlie Webster. The first time he drew into Parliament Place it was ages before he could get back out because of the queue. I wonder if anyone has a photo of the van? It was small and round and had just enough room for him to stand up in.

The Langs who lived in Parliament Place were fishermen and were one of the first families in the town to own a television set. I remember sitting there watching the nine'o'clock news being read by a man in a bow tie and evening suit.

They invited most of the children and neighbours in at one time or another to see this new "miracle"

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Campbeltown Memories

Postby Frosty » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:34 am

Cheers Jd , I'd forgotten their names.

The Loch Resraurant , wasn't that opposite the TSB bank ?
There was a Tea Room where Sportif originally started , but I think the customers were mainly the older generation popping in while doing the shopping , or did we used to call it '' Messages '' ?

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:06 am

Frosty, you're spot on with the Loch Restaurant. Think it was the Dunn family that opened it. It is now my place of work. :shock:
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Machrihanish » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:04 pm

I remember popping to the local shop or post office for 'messages' for my mother many a times
Machrihanish
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion