Saddell Abbey gravestones

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby petewick » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:53 pm

Sweltered wrote:Fraid not, it's just a symbol of death.

That's right sweltered, its a symbol of mortality
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:17 am

the only thing worse than a know it all, is a know it all spoilsport!!!!

thank you very much, i'll keep telling my kids it means they were pirates, better than them asking "what does the skull and crossbones mean dad?" and me saying "oh thats just a way of stating the bleeding obvious, the person in this grave must be clearly be deemed to have died, on or thereabouts the date encribed on the stone, you see, rather than being a sign that the deceased was a rogue, a vagabond, a pirate of the can a beans, its merely reflects that this person is in fact broon breid!!"

thank you very much!!!!!
general jack o'niell

Postby Sweltered » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:58 am

glad to be of service :lol:
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:47 pm

call that service? that went straight into the net, little tennis analogy there!!!
general jack o'niell

Postby petewick » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:16 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:the only thing worse than a know it all, is a know it all spoilsport!!!!

thank you very much, i'll keep telling my kids it means they were pirates, better than them asking "what does the skull and crossbones mean dad?" and me saying "oh thats just a way of stating the bleeding obvious, the person in this grave must be clearly be deemed to have died, on or thereabouts the date encribed on the stone, you see, rather than being a sign that the deceased was a rogue, a vagabond, a pirate of the can a beans, its merely reflects that this person is in fact broon breid!!"

thank you very much!!!!!

But you were the biggest pirate to sail past the pishin' mare!!!!!!!!
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:27 pm

i'll take that as a compliment, the piratical theme is more an outlook on life, a philosophy if you will, has nothing to do with raping and pillaging, i'll leaqve that to the thieving bastards that still sail the sound, and the odd one or two that have since retired, widnae gie ye a lain oh some salt but wid steal every herrin north oh the bloody foreland.

theres a difference between pirates(honourable, slightly dodgy seafarers) and thievin bastards, i'm proud to have been one of the lamlash loch pirates, must be true, the daily ranger said so!!!!!
general jack o'niell

Pirate

Postby FlyingDragon » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:40 pm

I thought John Paul Jones ship once anchored in Campbeltown harbor during the American Revolution?
FlyingDragon
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Pirate

Postby bill » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:26 pm

FlyingDragon wrote:I thought John Paul Jones ship once anchored in Campbeltown harbor during the American Revolution?

Are you not thinking about Paul Jones,lead singer with Manfred Mann,played The Vic Campbeltown 1964 ? 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:31 pm

No, that was the British revolution.. we joined in later :wink:
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

John Paul Jones

Postby FlyingDragon » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:50 am

No Campbeltown is famous for a few things, and one of them is John Paul Jones and his ships anchoring here. I will get more information for you. "John Paul Jones was born John Paul in 1747, on the estate of Arbigland in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright on the southern coast of Scotland. John Paul's father was a gardener at Arbigland, and his mother was a member of Clan MacDuff."
FlyingDragon
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:11 pm

:shock:
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Found Jones And campbeltown Article

Postby FlyingDragon » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:12 pm

It apears that if you read further on the articles concerning John Pau Jones and Campbeltown ,you wil find that Campbeltown was quite friendly to the cause of the American Revolution. "Whether John Paul Jones learned of the reception he might expect we do not know, but by 8th May he had returned to Brest without making any attempt to attack Campbeltown. There is little doubt that he had it in mind, because in his plan written in Passy, now part of Paris, on 5th June 1778 he advised the American Plenipotentiaries and the French Ministry of Marine that "The Fishery at Campbeltown is an object worthy of attention."

"The story goes that John Paul Jones appeared in the Loading one Sunday morning when the good folk were at church. The ladies of this time wore red cloaks rather like Red Riding Hood and when the alarm was raised the men dressed in their ladies' cloaks and emerged from church marching up and down in military formation thus frightening off the invader. Colonel Mactaggart thought it more likely, as I do, that Jones had foreknowledge of the military preparations and for this reason made no attempt to attack the town. On this voyage Jones took a prize, "the Betsy," off the coast of Islay and sent her to Bergen. He later rendezvoused with Captain Landais and having abandoned his idea of attacking Leith sailed down the East Coast of England where on 23rd September off Flamborough Head he engaged a British Squadron causing the Serapis of 44 guns and the Countess of Scarborough of 24 guns to surrender though he lost his own command the "Bonhomme Richard" in the fight.

http://www.kintyremag.co.uk/1998/15/page4.html
FlyingDragon
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Interesting info, FD..

Unfortunately, my attempt at a little humor in response to bill fell flat.. I was making a joke about the music revolution that began in Britain in '63/'64.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:28 pm

Did'nt fall flat here Bobbie,got it in one 8) :lol:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict