Scottish or not Scottish

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Scottish or not Scottish

Postby DJD » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:54 pm

Here is one for you all,

I was in Tesco's, ( Campbeltown) and I was your usual friendliness person (some might disagree) lol, and the person in front of me was saying " I am in a rush to get home and watch River City " I said " ah well somebody has to watch it " the reply was "you are English and you wouldn't know as you are not Scottish" (due to the my accent) which is a fair comment at the time, my reply was " if I was Black and had a Scottish accent " what would you of said? she just looked like a right "numpty" and was caught short for words, I know for certain it would not of been "you are from Africa and your not Scottish, and you would not know anyway" so my point is as above

Answers on a post card for the PC brigade (reason being) it is boring reading long laborious statements, also its a free speech country, and I look forward to any, I mean any responses.

P.s I loved reading the latest current affairs about the Mosques. Great posts from all.

By the way I am Scottish as long as your arm when it comes to ancestry. I also understand the comment from the person.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Scottish or not Scottish

Postby jaywalker » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:11 pm

In an ever changing politically correct world, I believe the English are the only people we are allowed to abuse these days. The Irish used to be fair game, no longer I'm afraid. The Germans are getting quite cuddly so they are out of bounds. We can't have a pop at the French currently while half the world has tricolour Facebook pictures.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gray_marian » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Unfortunately DJD provincial minds are everywhere. Least you didn't have to listen to a synopsis of the programme to boot! :)
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:10 pm

jaywalker wrote:In an ever changing politically correct world, I believe the English are the only people we are allowed to abuse these days. The Irish used to be fair game, no longer I'm afraid. The Germans are getting quite cuddly so they are out of bounds. We can't have a pop at the French currently while half the world has tricolour Facebook pictures.

Try being a redhead and hear all the sneering 'ginger' comments!
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jaywalker » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Shona, I have been a slap head now for fifteen years. I thought life couldn't get any worse when my hair started falling out.
I hadn't thought about being ginger. Makes you realise things ain't that bad after all. :D
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby EMDEE » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:30 am

Doesn't matter what nationality you are, if you don't watch River City you're not missing anything!
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:54 am

Emdee, I have never watched it as its not shown here but I would like to watch even one episode simply because I believe Johnny Beattie is in it and I think he's a stalwart of Glasgow entertainment.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Shona » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:11 pm

I think that Holby City is broadcast in place of River City in England. Can't say I'm a fan of either.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby WC1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Usually too much gore on Holby City for me. Mind you, same could be said for River City at times . . .
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:14 pm

Firstly DJD I do not understand why you would "poke your nose in", with a negative comment, to a conversation to which you were not included.

Secondly,
DJD wrote: I know for certain it would not of been "you are from Africa and your not Scottish, and you would not know anyway"

how do you know this for certain ?

GovanGirl, as with most things River City can be seen on Youtube.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jaywalker » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:01 am

Come on Bill, you know fine well why he would "poke his nose in", it is Campbeltown. It is wee interjections like that between folk which make it what it is. You keep plugging away there DJD and try not to take life too seriously otherwise you may not get out of it alive.
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Shona » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:12 am

jaywalker wrote:Shona, I have been a slap head now for fifteen years. I thought life couldn't get any worse when my hair started falling out.
I hadn't thought about being ginger. Makes you realise things ain't that bad after all. :D

Careful, Jaywalker. Mind you, I have lost most of my red locks following recent illness. The few wee bits growing back seem to be pure white. :<>
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gray_marian » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Hey DJD, Slightly aside, it could have been worse :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xL8rE9DT4g
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby lochend » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:40 pm

What about a black, bald Englishman who had ginger hair when younger? :oops: :oops:
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jaywalker » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:35 am

Or the whole hog. A Tory, black, bald Englishman who hag ginger hair when younger. ouch.
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Current Affairs