Beckham

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Beckham

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun May 23, 2010 6:48 pm

I think he should concentrate on sport, leave occupied countries to the invaders. 8)
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Beckham

Postby Govangirl » Sun May 23, 2010 7:41 pm

I don't.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun May 23, 2010 9:03 pm

You would :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 am

Quote; Everybody knows the reason why these guys are over there, to keep us safe here in Britain: That kind of statement is pro war. It attempts to justify the American invasion of Afghanistan, pretty good from someone who doesn't actually stay in Britain. If they really wanted to make our streets safer, and build the troops moral, they should withdraw all foreign invading armies, from this war torn, god forsaken backwater immediately. I can't for the likes of me understand why someone would choose to sign a machine gun, one wonders how many people will be shot dead, or horribly maimed by this weapon.
How can you sleep at night, Vera.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Mon May 24, 2010 10:46 am

Beckham's visit to Afghanistan serves to highlight the obscene amount of money and status he has for doing nothing better than kicking a ball around a field and "being a celebrity?", as opposed to the comparative pittance our service pesonnel recieve for literally risking their lives every day.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Mon May 24, 2010 1:02 pm

EMDEE wrote:Beckham's visit to Afghanistan serves to highlight the obscene amount of money and status he has for doing nothing better than kicking a ball around a field and "being a celebrity?", as opposed to the comparative pittance our service pesonnel recieve for literally risking their lives every day.

Entirely agree with your post. I am always cynical of celebs doing stunts like this. It was all about him "I've always wanted to do this" (he could always sign up to do a tour and get shot at) or "Now that I am injured I have time to visit" Usually injured people are airlifted out not in. Plonker :roll:

In saying that, if his visit lifted the spirits or the morale even temporarily that is a positive side of his stunt and I'm sure that, as he and his stick insect wife have plenty dosh they probably contribute big time to all the armed forces charities that look after our servicemen and women seeing as it's something he cares about.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby giantredwood » Mon May 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Give the guy a break, he did'nt have to go out there as I doubt very much he had anything to gain by doing so. His visit probably lifetd the morale of the troops ten times more than seeing some stuffed shirt politician who was only there to enhance his public profile and gain some votes (maybe). I'm sure Beckham is'nt without his faults but you never see pictures of him rolling out of a nightclub at 5am, drunk,doped and abusive to others like so many 'celebs'. He's devoted his life to his chosen profession and reached the very top through hard work and has reaped the rewards. Many who are just as talented have fallen by the wayside due to a lack of personal discipline. I say good luck to him and well done for showing some support to the guys on the ground out there.
giantredwood
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Govangirl » Mon May 24, 2010 7:14 pm

Totally agree with you there Giantredwood. I can be as cynical as the next person and personally couldn't care less for Beckham or his decadent lifestyle but it seems he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He could have just given it lip service but instead had the guts to go out there and stay a weekend boosting morale. A colleague of mine's son is out there and he was over the moon at his visit, sending Dad today a photo of them both. I can tell you there was a lot of happiness today in that man at his son meeting one of his heroes so don't knock it. Whatever the politics about the war Ionns, he was just giving the lads a boost and I guess they would rather see a footballer than a politician any day!

Maybe Dame Vera should get it in the neck too for having the audacity to go out and entertain the troops in her day! :roll:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon May 24, 2010 7:15 pm

History wrote:I'm sure Beckham is'nt without his faults but you never see pictures of him rolling out of a nightclub at 5am, drunk,doped and abusive to others like so many 'celebs'.

Prince Harry fits the bill, not only that he wears the queens uniform, ( not the Nazi one ) he's also shot a few ragheads in Afghanistan, ( much more in the way of excitement, than a Scottish stag )
Incidentally the derogatory term raghead, sprang from our glorious Prince. As far as Beckham is concerned, when he gives support to the troops, he gives his support to American/British expansionism. Did he forget to visit all those Afghan orphans, their parents killed by the war machine, he undoubtedly supports.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Mon May 24, 2010 9:05 pm

giantredwood wrote:Give the guy a break,

What would you like us to post about something that is in the news that doesn't make us stand in awe? We are all entilted to our opinion and being a public forum all views will be different. Anything else would be pathetic in a democracy.

Govangirl wrote:Maybe Dame Vera should get it in the neck too for having the audacity to go out and entertain the troops in her day! :roll:

She didn't wait until she was injured and having time out from a lucrative career before she went so the analogy doesn't wash.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Mon May 24, 2010 10:54 pm

'Don't often bother to read your posts never mind answer them' History, 17th February 2010

Shame that lasted only 3 months then! :( Still, if we're back on speaking terms :lol:

History wrote:We are all entilted to our opinion and being a public forum all views will be different.

I thought that was exactly what Giantredwood was doing? Doh! :@

But seriously History, I'm so glad we're friends in this 'democracy' again hen! :D :D :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue May 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Now now Girl and Boy, straying off the path a wee bit ( pay attention please )
The people who scribbled names on the nuclear bombs dropped on Japan, like Beckham, trivialised their true nature of these weapons ( to kill )
He may think that by representing his country ( England ) he is an English patriot, I always believed that a true home grown patriot, stays with his or her people, through thick or thin. He lives abroad, like some of our posters :wink:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue May 25, 2010 5:22 pm

And that's the real reason some on here are anti-Beckham - because he's English, and an English footballer at that. :<> I think - but of course I could be wrong again Ionns - that he would find it a tad difficult to commute every day to LA or Milan.

But good for you Becks, you've gone up in my estimation. :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue May 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Govangirl wrote:And that's the real reason some on here are anti-Beckham - because he's English, and an English footballer at that. :<> I think - but of course I could be wrong again Ionns - that he would find it a tad difficult to commute every day to LA or Milan.

Yes your correct, you are wrong again. :lol: Since when did being Anti-War, transform itself to being Anti-English ?
Mind you when one considers that the decisions to go to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, where undoubtedly made in England by an English man. When one reflects on the history of our country, and the relationship with the English, then you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue May 25, 2010 7:41 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:Mind you when one considers that the decisions to go to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, where undoubtedly made in England by an English man.

Okay my man, maybe I'm wrong AGAIN then, but the decision to go to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were made in England by a Scotsman
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Current Affairs