Macintosh

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Macintosh

Postby looneylodge » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:31 am

My grandfather, James (no middle name) Macintosh was born in Ardersier / Campbelltown in approx. 1861.
He did not capitalize the "i" in Macintosh.
Our family knows nothing else about his early life. Perhaps he was an orphan, as he never spoke about
his younger years.
He joined the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and served in India. He married Alice Harrington of Birkshire, England.
They had 3 children before emigrating to Canada in the early 1900's.
If anyone has any helpful information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Also, would there be church records that I could access?
Thanks so much...
Jean E.
looneylodge
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Macintosh

Postby westport321 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:48 am

Hi Jean, look at Scotlandspeople..... good site but you pay for time on it. I have used it and copied to disk the families I am reserching.
Head Scientist, Dept of Mad Scientists
westport321
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LO » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:25 am

Jean

Unfortunately, you have come to the wrong Campbeltown.

Ardersier near Inverness was previously known as Campbelltown, hence the confusion.

You can find out more at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardersier
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby teddymac » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:48 am

Dear Jean,

I have just read your post on this website and from the details you have submitted, I think that you and I are searching for information on the same man albeit at different ends of his life. I have information from his birth (and ancestry) until his discharge from the Argyle and Southern Highlanders (1898) but nothing after.

My ancestor, James Macintosh, was born in Ardersier in 1861. If your grandfather is the same man then you are right in your assumption that he may have been an orphan. His mother died a few months after his birth; his father was a labourer (following his discharge from military service) and he travelled for work. The 1871 census finds James in a school for the poor/orphans. I have all the relevant Scottish documents for James and am happy to share these with you if we discover this is the same man.

Sue
teddymac
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Kintyre Genealogy