George Burley

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: George Burley

Postby Rabmacd » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:42 am

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Hume and Double A. I couldn't see the point in sacking him directly after two reasonable performances against Macedonia and Netherlands but the ways in which we lost against Japan (second half) and Wales, especially, put the final nails in his coffin.

I just wonder if the fact that the renewal requests for the Scotland Supporters Club are imminent £40 for two years, had some bearing on the timing of Burley's sacking.

I do feel that he has been very badly let down by some, maybe even most of the players, who certainly look like they are not giving 100%.

That may be down to him but I know that I wouldn't need much motivation being handed a Scotland jersey.

Yes his team selections have been poor----I can't believe that he stuck with Caldwell and McManus (who make Davie Weir look like Usain Bolt), McFadden, for me has never been near international class, but for some reason has been a shoe-in in every squad for the last five years. You know what you get with Kenny Miller--not a lot. Fox will be lucky to get another cap. Where were Barr and Berra?

I am a great believer in playing good players, despite their age and got shot down in flames when I suggested that Danny Wilson should have got a run out, but Why Not? The Welsh had some young guns in there, and Wilson after only three or four games looks like the real deal to me. We did play another couple of first timers after all.

As for who's going to be the next manager, they all seem to be running away from it
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:53 am

I think Garry Mcallister has got to have a good chance this time if he is interested .To me what is needed is someone who has not only expierience of playing with the national team but as he was once also captain then i think that will give him a lot more respect from the players .To me Hurley Burley never had that.
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby sentrano » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:23 pm

That would split the Scotland fans too much appointing McAllister. I was at the game at Celtic Park against the Czech's when he was booed off the park by his own fans and I feel that a lot of them would bring that back up again very quickly if he didnt start well.
sentrano
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby abbey craig » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:31 pm

big Joe Jordan for me,the mans got the fire in his belly,wake that shower of tossers up a bit,that are in the squad now.

Mon the Scotland
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:10 am

If appointing McAllister would split the Scotland fans then what chance have we got? I would think he would be about the least controversial and divisive appointment possible....surely the Tartan Army would not be against him.

I would like to see McAllister there, would also be happy with Joe Jordan, with someone helping him with tactics, strategy etc! McAllister maybe, or Walter Smith...or Smith on his own.

But my first choice would be Souness. He would make it "cool" to play for Scotland again, the players would turn up and give 100% when they did so. Also, the press and media would be behind the team more, they would be scared! to give Souness a hard time.

If they appoint Levein, and he does well, then a big club in England would come calling pretty soon then we would be back to square 1 again.

And, there is no need for the new manager to "shake up Scottish football from top to bottom" no need for him to get involved with the youth coaching set up or under age teams...leave that to others. All he has to do is pick 22 players to win the next match.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:37 am

I dont think that Mcallister would split the support .As far as i have ever seen the only thing that splits the Scotland supporters is the old firm.So if you appoint Mcgee or strachan the gers supporters will be against them because of the celtic connections or Smith and Souness for the Rangers connection .That is how the scots fans think i am afraidwhich to me is dreadful .I go to Turkey at least twice a year and the two teams out there are Fenerbachie and Galatasary they are deadly enemies even worse than the old firm ,but you should see the support they give their national team unbelievable .When they are playing in a major competition everyone wears the Turkish top .Maw Paw and the weans .Even shows on the telly the presenters will be wearing the Turkish tops .All the shops and markets and hotels are all decorated in support of the team with bands and dancers all over the place .That is support.
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hume » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:15 am

blueboyno1 wrote:As far as i have ever seen the only thing that splits the Scotland supporters is the old firm.So if you appoint Mcgee or strachan the gers supporters will be against them because of the celtic connections or Smith and Souness for the Rangers connection .That is how the scots fans think i am afraid which to me is dreadful.

Than I would question if these people are really Scotland fans blueboy - I know its only a small sample but of all the people I know who go to watch Scotland and who support Rangers or Celtic no-one has any objection to the manager having connections to their domestic opponents.

The only thing anyone I know has an objection to is an underperforming manager, regardless of their employment history.

Surely the only thing that matters is the manager is doing a good job?

Smith has ruled himself out as has Souness. I would also like to see Jordan involved, but maybe not as manager - he would certainly be an inspiration to the players.

I just want a manager who wants to play the right way and is tactically aware - I don't think that is Smith or Souness so I'm not concerned thay have ruled themselves out.

I've no objection to employing a non-scot again, so long as it is the right person. I think Houllier is about the best candidate who is available and to whom Scotland might be an attractive position (maybe?).
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby sentrano » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:33 pm

Houllier is not a bad shout, he might cost a bit but could be worth it.

Back to McAllister, I prob should have said that the media would bring up the low points and not so much the fans. I personally dont think he is the man to lead us but he might be suited to a number 2 position, I would be happy with that.
sentrano
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:34 pm

I hear Ardilles, Ossie, is interested ..... :shock: :?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:19 pm

I would like to see Souness being appointed as Scotland boss. He has loads of qualities that could instill pride and passion. He also has vast experience as a player and manager. He ticks ALL the boxes for me and it does'nt matter if he has a Rangers connection. I'm a Celtic fan and i want to see a national team that may lack technical abilty bit makes up for it in other ways. Levien would be my other shout, but think he may well be the next Celtic manager.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby blueboyno1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:25 pm

Hume wrote:
blueboyno1 wrote:As far as i have ever seen the only thing that splits the Scotland supporters is the old firm.So if you appoint Mcgee or strachan the gers supporters will be against them because of the celtic connections or Smith and Souness for the Rangers connection .That is how the scots fans think i am afraid which to me is dreadful.

Than I would question if these people are really Scotland fans blueboy - I know its only a small sample but of all the people I know who go to watch Scotland and who support Rangers or Celtic no-one has any objection to the manager having connections to their domestic opponents.

The only thing anyone I know has an objection to is an underperforming manager, regardless of their employment history.

Obviously you dont drink in the same pubs as i do and before you say it they are all dyed in the wool tartan army. :lol:
Last edited by Mod8 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by Mod to fix quotes
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby hoochykoochy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:44 pm

How is calling for the heads of the SFA and appointing a new manager for 4 years going to help Scottish Football, or the International team?? If we think that appointing a big name manager and playing "here's your polished turd for the evening" as our national anthem, is going to help, we will stay in this mess for years to come!

Scottish football needs to be completely refranchised from the bottom up, and the SFA need to be once again running the SPL. We have no pace in our young centre halves, because we prefer be clogging central defenders who can head a ball rather than carry it! Our wingers are small and nimble, but lack the strength of quality full-backs, we don't have any proven goalscorers, who can guarantee a goal every other game and our midfielders lack the guile and ball holding skills of our central european counterparts. The only place we seem to get it right is when it comes to goalies, one of which has a broken arm and the other is banned because he should have had two broken fingers.

Frankly the whole thing is a shambles. We need a competely different attitude to what we want when we go to see a football match here in Scotland and that has to start with the supporters, not the SFA! Who got it right sacking Burley before the next big tournament started. He couldn't handle the media very well and didn't seem to be able to get his ideas across to the players, but lets not forget what the poor guy had to go through during his tenure and wish him well for the future!
hoochykoochy
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Previous

Return to Sport Chit Chat