Scotland's secret bunker

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

Scotland's secret bunker

Postby Tom B » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 pm

I had an hour or so to spare this afternoon in East Neuk of Fife, and stopped in at 'Scotland's Secret Bunker', which was to have housed the government in the event of a nuclear attack. Spooky, spooky place, all the more so as much of the contents are as they were left (closed in 1993). Walk down the damp tunnel into the bunker with its 3m thick walls all round. Well worth a visit if it's your thing - and lots of interesting 'cold war' facts and artefacts. In the cinema they were playing the news reel that would have gone out of there had been a nuclear attack, how to build a radiation shelter in the hallway of your house using doors and mattresses - "stay inside for 2 days at least after the fallout as the radiation will be at its worst then" - you'll be OK under you homemade shelter though.....

http://www.secretbunker.co.uk/
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Scotland's secret bunker

Postby petewick » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:52 pm

Tom B wrote:I had an hour or so to spare this afternoon in East Neuk of Fife, and stopped in at 'Scotland's Secret Bunker', which was to have housed the government in the event of a nuclear attack. Spooky, spooky place, all the more so as much of the contents are as they were left (closed in 1993). Walk down the damp tunnel into the bunker with its 3m thick walls all round. Well worth a visit if it's your thing - and lots of interesting 'cold war' facts and artefacts. In the cinema they were playing the news reel that would have gone out of there had been a nuclear attack, how to build a radiation shelter in the hallway of your house using doors and mattresses - "stay inside for 2 days at least after the fallout as the radiation will be at its worst then" - you'll be OK under you homemade shelter though.....

"When you hear the air attack warning, you and your family must take cover"
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:06 pm

petewick wrote:
Tom B wrote:I had an hour or so to spare this afternoon in East Neuk of Fife, and stopped in at 'Scotland's Secret Bunker', which was to have housed the government in the event of a nuclear attack. Spooky, spooky place, all the more so as much of the contents are as they were left (closed in 1993). Walk down the damp tunnel into the bunker with its 3m thick walls all round. Well worth a visit if it's your thing - and lots of interesting 'cold war' facts and artefacts. In the cinema they were playing the news reel that would have gone out of there had been a nuclear attack, how to build a radiation shelter in the hallway of your house using doors and mattresses - "stay inside for 2 days at least after the fallout as the radiation will be at its worst then" - you'll be OK under you homemade shelter though.....

"When you hear the air attack warning, you and your family must take cover"

you're right - it really was ridiculous what was being proposed at the time. While I was there they set off the air raid siren about 20m from where I was standing - I tell you - that makes the hair on the back of your next stand up.
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:01 am

Wish I had realized there was such a place. I would have definitely checked it out while I was there.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:31 am

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:Wish I had realized there was such a place. I would have definitely checked it out while I was there.

Bobbie there's one I'd like to visit in the States too, under a huge hotel somewhere on the east coast where there were hundreds of guests regularly staying, oblivious to it being there. can't remember the name
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:23 am

Mind o' this folks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTOQUnvI ... PL&index=1

You gotta fast forward to 1.00minute for the air attack warning and siren!

Wasn't always, or ever!, a big fan of Frankie but they certainly caught the mood of the moment with that one.

Number one the day I got married! :shock: :lol:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:22 am

homo sapiens- the most dangerous and irresponsible species on the planet! Throughout history, intelligence doesn't seem to have given the human race (or our leaders) any common sense or sense of responsibility as custodians of the planet.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:32 am

...do you remember the book and animated movie "When the Wind Blows"? from 1986 apparently....

"With the help of government-issued pamphlets, an elderly British couple build a shelter and prepare for an imminent nuclear attack. A classic little cartoon of hugely disturbing proportions.... "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EbsrJuAoQo
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Travel