Glasgow Airport

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

Glasgow Airport

Postby Ags » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:40 pm

We were staying in the Travel Lodge at Glasgow Airport on Thursday night, and like previous times staying in one of the hotels at the airport, we decided to wander across to eat at Frankie and Benny's in the airport terminal building. Since we were last there in October, the terminal building has changed quite significantly and you now can't wander upstairs to the shops/bar/restaurants without first going through airport security. It wasn't a problem but I hadn't been aware of the changes.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Glasgow Airport

Postby WC1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:09 am

Could you run that one past us again Ags? I thought you could only go through security if you were a passenger with a boarding pass. If I understand your post, you got through just to use the restaurant.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby abbey craig » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:27 pm

When we dropped Alice off at the airport a few weeks ago,we stayed in the Ramada,the minibus that takes you to the airport drop off from the hotel now charges £2 per head (one way),it cost us a tenner to drop her off and head back to the hotel for the car.
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ags » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:13 pm

Sorry if I didn't make that clear WC1 - I meant it wasn't a problem to toodle back to where we had come from and eat there. There is no way you will get through security. We were in the travel lodge abbey and it was the same minibus - £2 per head. Thankfully when we went to eat and didn't manage to eat, we walked :D . The minibus to get our flight was great but we had a huge wait on the return journey.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby WC1 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Thanks Ags. Thought that was the case. I was meeting people at the airport recently and have to say that the new set-up may be fine if you're a passenger, but for anyone seeing people off or meeting them it' a dead loss. The minibus charge is an eye-opener too. I usually stay nearer at hand if I have to 'over-night' before an early flight, but I have stayed at the Ramada and found it a very difficult and even slightly dangerous walk over to the terminal - not much by way of pavements till you get to the Holiday Inn. You really couldn't do it with luggage. One to keep in mind for my trip to the Proms at the end of the month!
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby abbey craig » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:53 pm

walk you must be kidding ags,i would have needed sherpa tenzing to lift her bag to the airport,shoes, sandals,4 pair of jeans, makeup, hair tongs,etc etc you know what i mean :lol:

thats them home noo i picked them up at the airport this morning.I`m glad to see Anne again as theres a big ironing pileing up :lol: :lol:

And a big thank you to Tommy Millar(www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/tommy.millar) for getting them there and back without any hitches,and for helping with immigration forms etc.Well done Tommy and thanks again for a job well done. (not bad for a 50 year old) :wink: :wink:
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby TYM » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks Abbey for the kind words. One correction though - I am not 50. Mind you I felt like 90 last Monday after playing 2 hours and 40 minutes of football on Sunday. :!:

The transfer bus cost was something I was unaware of. They have been charging at Heathrow and Gatwick for a couple of years now but I did not realise they were doing it in Glasgow. As far as I know the likes of the Erskine Bridge Hotel and the Normandy are still free and there are often good rates at the Holiday Inn and Express By Holiday Inn which are both within walking distance
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ags » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Me being me, I thought we were staying at the holiday inn express last week which is within walking distance :oops: I sould pay more attention to the travel counsellor!! I certainly agree with WC1, the new layout is great if you are travelling but a bit of a pain if you aren't! We walked over as I said, but it was a bit of an experience with a child and 3 pensioners, clambering through some bushes and through a hole in the fence! Had we taken the bus to eat/not eat, with there being 6 of us, it would have cost us £24!!!!! There is no way you could walk it with luggage though!
Glad you have Anne home Abbey, there will be plenty ironing at Machrihanish when we get back too if she gets bored! Iain will also be delighted to have Alice back at work. Hope they had a great time! Thanks to TYM from us too, this hotel in Dublin is AMAZING!!!!!! Okay - the wine's a wee bit pricey, but it has saved me checking in to The Priory which is just a few doors down :lol:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby TYM » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:08 am

I see that passenger numbers for Glasgow Airport fell by 12.9% during July compared with last year. This is hardly surprising given the cutback in the number of flights from the Airport.

One unfortunate result of this seems to have been an increase in Car Parking and Car Hire rates. I suppose that to maintain their turnover and profit margins then the Operators have few other options than to hope that the people who do travel are willing to pay more for these "extras".
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ags » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:49 pm

That's surely quite a large percentage? I also read this summer that Ryanair are pulling quite a few flights from Prestwick which doesn't look good for the "girlie weekends"!! :shock:
We are dropping our"lodger"back at Glasgow Airport on Friday, and being an "unaccompanied minor", we have to wait until 15 minutes after her flight has departed. I feel a long afternoon ahead!! Iain is quite happy though in the knowledge that we can't be shopping during the waiting time.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ags » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:14 pm

I really didn't care that I couldn't shop at the airport today - although I DID manage to buy a book in the teensy wee W H Smith downstairs (surprise!) :shock:
You may have read my other post already - but it took me FOUR AND A HALF HOURS to get from the town to Glasgow Airport today, and all I did was run into the Tree Shop at Cairndow for a take-away coffee!! Roadworks at Tarbet were a major hold up, and it took us an hour to cover the 6 miles of M8 from Erskine Bridge turn off to the airport. I left at half 9 for a latest half 2 check in. Thank goodness we didn't stop anywhere else :shock:
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Travel