So now we have to pay for doing RyanAir's work !?

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

So now we have to pay for doing RyanAir's work !?

Postby bakbjerg » Fri May 29, 2009 3:26 pm

I have for a long time been aware, that you can never rely on RyanAir's adverts for cheap tickets, because they have allways been very creative with fees and charges on top of the ticket price. But now they have invented a new fee for us doing their work, which is over the limit in my world ! :evil:

Yesterday I was happy to find tickets for £ 0.79 one way to Denmark. So a family of 4 could fly to Denmark and back for £ 6.32 seemingly, but even without booking any suitcases, the total price ended up in £ 325. So the ticket price says nothing, hence the difference from ticket price £ 6 to payment £ 325 !

One of their fees in the price breakdown was £ 40 for web check in. I couldn't chose anything else in the booking proces, so now I have to check in online, to save them the work of processing me in the airport, and yet there's a fee for me doing their job. It should be a discount ! :evil:

Another strange charge is £ 40 for paying with credit card. You can't chose any other paying method, and the fee is £ 5 pr. person pr. flight, even though you book 4 tickets two ways in one booking, and therefore only one credit card transaction. So really, it's not a transaction fee, but an extra top on the ticket price :evil:

I ended up buying the tickets anyway, but as soon as there's an alternative to RyanAir going to central Denmark from Scotland, I would any time choose it. I absolutely hate this dishonest way of marketing :evil: :evil:
highlander wannabee
http://www.bakbjerg.com (private)
http://www.insu.biz (work)
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: So now we have to pay for doing RyanAir's work !?

Postby howlsatthemoon » Sat May 30, 2009 1:21 am

20 reasons why not to fly with Ryanscair

1. 1p flights are never 1p
Even if you strike it lucky and find a 1p flight you actually want to take, Ryanair charge you for the pleasure of paying for it. To the tune of £4.75. For each passenger. Each way.
And that doesn’t even include…

2. The check-in charge
If you want to book a bag into the aircraft hold you must check in at the airport, which will cost you £4.75 per passenger, per way, if you book online and a whopping £10 per passenger, per way if you pay at the airport or over the phone. And it doesn’t matter if only one person in your party takes a bag, everyone else still has to pay to check in at the airport too.
This week Ryanair announced that it’s all change from May when airport check in will rocket to £20 per person, per way. That is a grand total of £160 for a return flight as a family of four.
All without factoring in…

3. The baggage charge
Which is an extortionate £9.50 per bag, per flight. Or £19 if you book at the airport or over the phone.

4. The sneaky weight limit
Ryanair set its weight limit for hold luggage at 15kg catching the majority of passengers off guard.
You’re not allowed to pool bags either so, even if you have a party of four sharing luggage, if the bag weighs 16kg you will be charged £14 per additional kilo. Nevermind that it makes not a jot of difference to the weight of the aeroplane.

5. Queues glorious queues
If you’re still talking to your partner following the inevitable blazing row about why you shouldn’t just pay the bloody charges listed above, you won’t be after being told to join the back of the enormous queue at the ‘payments’ desk.

6. The additional baggage charge
Probably best to wear all of your clothes at once on the flight if you are travelling somewhere for more than a couple of days (until Ryanair start charging passengers for excess body weight that is). Check more than one bag in and it will cost you another £19 per extra piece of luggage, per way.

7. The website is rubbish. On purpose.
You have no choice but to book a Ryanair flight through its website so the airline may as well make it as stressful an experience as possible. The website is ugly for starters, and it crashes. All the time.
Because you can’t easily browse for dates when cheap flights are available you have to dedicate at least five precious hours of your life to sitting in front of the screen and laboriously trying different combinations to find a good deal.
And if you don’t understand what the hell you’ve just pressed there is no one to e-mail. Because Ryanair want you to spend more money and phone its…

8. Premium rate internet helpline
Calls cost £1 a minute to speak to someone in a call centre. Be amazed if you can explain what your problem is for under a fiver.

9. You can only fly cheap mid week
To get the bargains that make the pain of Ryanair worth the gain you have to be prepared to fly on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, which can rule out the bargain European weekend break. Kind of why you wanted to book with Ryanair in the first place.

10. You have to travel at obscene hours.
Not only are you travelling on a Tuesday you also have to be prepared to wake up at 2am to get to the airport two hours ahead of your 6.55am flight. Or, if you choose a more civilised evening departure time, arrive in your destination at midnight with no where to stay because…

11. The destination airports are in the middle of nowhere.
Don’t expect to fly to Frankfurt if you book a flight to Frankfurt, to name one of many examples. Frankfurt Hahn airport where Ryanair land is 120 km from the city centre.

12. A bottle of water on board costs £3
I know the moral of this story is to buy a drink from WH Smith before you board, but it’s still annoying.

13. Sweaty, plasticky seats
Whatever you do, don’t wear shorts or you might be stuck to your seat forever and forced to listen to…

14. The in-flight musak
Pray that your flight is not delayed before it takes off or you’ll have to put up with the bleepy, computer-game inspired musak that is played on loop as your board, over, and over.

15. The fanfare
Do we really need the shrill fanfare that sounds when/if the flight lands on time? Or does it just ruin the first three minutes of each passenger's holiday?

16. You can’t book a seat
As if the British holiday ritual of crowding round the baggage carousel isn’t enough to warrant the use of blood-thinning medication, Ryanair invite you to partake in the extreme sport that is racing across the tarmac to get a seat next to your companion. Flip flops are a distinct disadvantage.

17. No refunds, ever
Unless you have a spare few days to waste do not even bother trying.

18. Poor compensation
A report by the UK’s Air Transport Users Council has found that the world’s airlines lost more than one million bags in 2007 and more than 42 million pieces of luggage were mishandled worldwide.
Guess who it named as the worst airline for compensation if your bag goes missing or is damaged?

19. You are always being flogged stuff
No we don't want your ridiculously overpriced travel insurance, car hire or Ryanair tea-towels. Go away.

20. Michael O’Leary himself
Don't tell me you can bear to make him any more smug?
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby TYM » Sat May 30, 2009 6:51 pm

21. Do not try to change a name on a Ryanair booking. I am told it will now cost £100 but try finding that informatiion on their website.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby daftdog » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:52 pm

TYM wrote:21. Do not try to change a name on a Ryanair booking. I am told it will now cost £100 but try finding that informatiion on their website.

Maybe reading the Terms and Conditions of Travel would help :D

Why is ryanair getting it in the neck? Surely all airlines have fees like this. Easyjet charge you only £17.50 for a name change per journey, but then they charge the difference in the flight cost at the time of the name change. :roll:

bakbjerg wrote:I have for a long time been aware, that you can never rely on RyanAir's adverts for cheap tickets, because they have allways been very creative with fees and charges on top of the ticket price. But now they have invented a new fee for us doing their work, which is over the limit in my world ! :evil:

Yesterday I was happy to find tickets for £ 0.79 one way to Denmark. So a family of 4 could fly to Denmark and back for £ 6.32 seemingly, but even without booking any suitcases, the total price ended up in £ 325. So the ticket price says nothing, hence the difference from ticket price £ 6 to payment £ 325 !

One of their fees in the price breakdown was £ 40 for web check in. I couldn't chose anything else in the booking proces, so now I have to check in online, to save them the work of processing me in the airport, and yet there's a fee for me doing their job. It should be a discount ! :evil:

Another strange charge is £ 40 for paying with credit card. You can't chose any other paying method, and the fee is £ 5 pr. person pr. flight, even though you book 4 tickets two ways in one booking, and therefore only one credit card transaction. So really, it's not a transaction fee, but an extra top on the ticket price :evil:

I ended up buying the tickets anyway, but as soon as there's an alternative to RyanAir going to central Denmark from Scotland, I would any time choose it. I absolutely hate this dishonest way of marketing :evil: :evil:

Well my view on the matter is.. why complain about all the added fees, when at the end of the day, you still get on the plane and back, cheaper than any other airline..

There ARE other airlines that fly to central Denmark. If Ryanair's charges aggravate you so much, then pay the other airlines that charge more for flights, but less in added fees. i.e. Cimber Stirling, KLM. BUT i'm only guessing now.. i'll bet the ryanair tickets still cost less than those other alternative airlines would charge??

So, Ryanair mislead in their advertisement of flights. Can you name any firm that has honest advertising? Car manufactures show top of the range cars in their TV ads, while quoting the standard model price and how many of us get a burger for mcD's that look like the bloody picture :lol:

i know its frustrating to think you will get a flight for buttons, only to see added fees, but really, its the end price that is the most important thing. And don't forget, you are one of the lucky ones getting the "fare" for buttons, others on the flight will have paid far more for "fares" and been charged the same in fees and taxes.

Ps. The £5 on-line fee replaces the £10 Airport check in fee, so if you had the option to check in at the airport, you would have paid twice as much. Ryanair no longer check in at the airport. All check ins are now on-line.

Pps, Glad i booked a few months ago, before some of these fees started. :D Tampere-Dublin-Glasgow Prestwick-London Stansted-Tampere a few pence under £750 for 6 of us.. :lol:
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:03 pm

daftdog wrote:Pps, Glad i booked a few months ago, before some of these fees started. :D Tampere-Dublin-Glasgow Prestwick-London Stansted-Tampere a few pence under £750 for 6 of us.. :lol:

I would rather pay more knowing what i was going to pay up front, than to think I was going to get a deal and get suckered at the end.

Proof of the old addage, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:11 am

Jeeso.....I thought paying £35 to change a bmi booking recently was steep :<>
I can't complain about Ryanair.....Much of what you say is right Howls...but when I fly with them I am normally with the girls and no kids.....we are pre-booked and sorted with baggage, quite happy to fly on a wednesday or thursday. We research our destination airports so that we know the transfer distance and we really dont care about the price of water on the flight :lol: . I can honestly say having flown 5 or 6 times with Ryanair I have never had a delay or any other probems and am more than happy to reccommend to others.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:45 am

Good to know, ags! Thanks for that info. Have you known up front what you were going to pay? How far in advance do you usually have to book,or can you do it at the last minute?
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:05 pm

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:Good to know, ags! Thanks for that info. Have you known up front what you were going to pay? How far in advance do you usually have to book,or can you do it at the last minute?

Its the same as any airline Bobbie, the further in advance you book and pay, the better the deal usually. When you book, you have to pay, so you do know in advance of payment how much it will cost. Booking at last the minute with any airline will cost an arm and a leg, but its just like package holidays to a destination of your choice. The only way to usually get a great deal is if you are not fussy where you go and get a really late deal on a package holiday.

Last June when i moved here, i flew Ryanair, Prestwick to Dublin and then a few days later Dublin to Tampere and paid around 130 for three of us one way (as i was moving here). Can fly KLM, Glasgow to Helsinki, with a change in Amsterdam but i wasn't going to pay over 300 for one person.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:45 pm

There is no credit/debit card charge if you use a Visa Electron.The point being very few people have a Visa Electron card. :D

Do not forget the forthcomming £1 charge to use the onboard loo.Talk about spending a penny. :D
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:36 pm

bill wrote:There is no credit/debit card charge if you use a Visa Electron.The point being very few people have a Visa Electron card. :D

I'm one of the lucky ones then Bill, i have a LloydsTSB one and a Nordea one :D. That very thing did cause me problems last year when i had to transfer money from the Clydesdale to the Lloyds to pay for a flight though, but it was a small inconvenience.

As for the toilet charge, will tell the kids they can have an inflight drink and something to eat OR a pee :lol: wouldnt be fair for them to have to use their pocket money :lol: :lol: :lol:
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Nomad » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:41 pm

i agree with most of the postings on here.

but to be honest i've flown with ryanair many times and had no complaints- what you pay is what you get....as always.
all of the so called "hidden" charges for baggage/ credit cards etc etc are listed on the website. anyone who turns up not aware of them have not done their homework or are idiots in training.

"yes", the airport you're flying to may not be the one in the city you're going to- but do they claim that?? airline costs for stand fee's, fuel, food etc are higher in city airports and these are passed on to the consumer as a result.
a simple google search (which everyone from a 5yo to a 100yo can perform these days) would tell you if it;s in the middle of nowhere or in the thick of the action.

if you disagree with their pricing policy try flying (or getting another way) to your desination...........and compare the cost. if it's cheaper then book it :wink:
Nomad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Hume » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:12 pm

daftdog wrote:Ps. The £5 on-line fee replaces the £10 Airport check in fee, so if you had the option to check in at the airport, you would have paid twice as much. Ryanair no longer check in at the airport. All check ins are now on-line.

Is that new then daftdog, I checked in at Prestwick last Friday to go to Gothenburg City Airport. Then again, perhaps that was because it was still an option when I booked last year.

I agree with you on this one, its the end price that counts, not how its made up. The only one I object to is the fee to book with a credit card.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby daftdog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Hume wrote:
daftdog wrote:Ps. The £5 on-line fee replaces the £10 Airport check in fee, so if you had the option to check in at the airport, you would have paid twice as much. Ryanair no longer check in at the airport. All check ins are now on-line.

Is that new then daftdog, I checked in at Prestwick last Friday to go to Gothenburg City Airport. Then again, perhaps that was because it was still an option when I booked last year.

I agree with you on this one, its the end price that counts, not how its made up. The only one I object to is the fee to book with a credit card.

Yeah, all airport check in bookings made still stand, only new bookings made by phone or internet allow only on-line check in.

Ryanair site wrote:Wednesday next (20th May) all new passenger bookings, including those travelling with infants and checked in bags, will move to online check-in and ‘bag-drop’ only as Ryanair phases out the use airport of check-in desks from its 146 airports by 1st October.

I don't agree either with paying a credit card fee per passenger. if i didn't have a visa electron card it would have cost me 120€ to pay for my flights. (6 passengers x 5€ fee per flight x 4 flights) :<>

ps. if anyone wants to save a few quid when they book their ryanair flights, just send me the total amount plus 2.50€ per passenger per flight and i will book them for you :lol:
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby daftdog » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:11 pm

I had the pleasure of using the self service check in Ryanair are using at London Stansted. Managed to check in myself, my wife, my two sons and then hit a snag. Searched for a customer service rep, who was meant to help and after 30mins, i found one. The chap was pleasant and confirmed what i thought, I CAN*T check in a passenger with any "Ä,Ö, or Å letters in their name, Why, because the system doesn't recognise any non a-z characters hehehe. So, i went to the customer service desk and was asked to check in everyone and my bags there and then.. so, although i was a bit pissed off at the self service system, i saved at least an hour and a half, as i didn't have to stand in the baggage drop queue, which was one of the longest queues i had seen all weekend including the ones outside the usual London attractions.

PS. don't let any of your children buy those fluff covered handcuffs from the pound shops, as for some reason, the security staff at the airport want to ask questions :lol: :lol: (but they are not on the banned hand luggage list :roll:) so, you can't take baby formula in a prepacked carton, but you can take fluffy metal handcuffs through.

me: :lol:
step daughter: :oops:
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Travel