Formula One

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Formula One

Postby Govangirl » Wed May 13, 2009 5:55 pm

The prancing horse's threats? Hmmmmm, what's the easiest way to save money? Quit F1, but make it look like we're being 'forced' out, against our wishes?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Formula One

Postby Frosty » Fri May 15, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi Govangirl,
I have been a huge fan of Formula 1 for many years , although not of Ferrari.
Every season has been different , however this year all Teams have had to start with a clean sheet of paper for the design of their cars
This was due to the changes of the rules which were not just ''tweeks'' to existing rules and parts of the car that already worked , each designer had to rethink and come up with completely new solutions.
The Teams who were fighting to the bitter end of last season had to spend a lot of time and money to maintain their advantage,this allowed other designers,for example Adrian Newey of Red Bull,to leave last years car running as was and get a head start on this years car .
Ferrari have always been able to spend theirr way out of trouble by continuous testing on thier own track and an awfull lot of money on exotic materials to aid production of single use components.
Now they have been late on debeloping this years ''Prancing Pony'' so it is way behind plus they now see what could be a ban on the usual way they solve any problems.
The only way to get all the Teams to discuss changes is ti threaten them with large budget cuts.At least they have met and are discussing this together.
I'm sure they will compromise and carry on competing in what is the pinicale of Motor sport Racing.
I hope that McLaren,Ferrari,Renault, and all the rest of the teams, will continue to give the fans so much excitment and carry on racing.

Come on Lewis and well done to Jenson who , I must admit , is proving himself to be a better driver than I though he would ever be.

fROSTY
Last edited by Frosty on Sat May 16, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sat May 16, 2009 10:32 am

I agree Frosty but have to say I'm just getting disillusioned with all the controversy and courtroom battles going on behind the scenes. It's great that there's such an element of no expectation this season - Button, Brawn, Toyota, etc. - but there's also a great deal of damage being done with Ferrari's threats. Imho, McLaren (and, unfairly, Hamilton) have already suffered with all the politics and officialdom going on with their recent 'wrong-doings' and it ends up damaging the whole sport that I love.

But thinking about it, I guess it's the same for many sports . . . :(
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Sat May 16, 2009 7:35 pm

Frosty wrote:Come on Lewis and well done to Jenson who , I must admit , is proving himself to be a better driver than I though he would ever be.

fROSTY

I always thought Jenson was a good driver and he's getting a chance to prove it now. A good car and Ross Brawn, who is such a good strategist, will ensure that he has his best ever chance at being a championship contender. Best of luck to him.

Ferrari are spitting the dummy out the pram with their comments. Hopefully it'll all get sorted out.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Mon May 18, 2009 9:45 am

I agree Govangirl,but the Lawers are always trying to find ways around the rules and the courts are usually the only place an independent Judge can rule without any discrimination or favouratism as to who is correct.

Mr Ferrari need to look closely at their organisation as they are not getting the best out of one of the fastest drivers in the world.
Kimi has amazing talent , Ron Dennis got the best out of him but Ferrari seem to be fighting him all the time.

Eddie Jordan stated that Michael Schumacker could drive the Ferrari better , than Kimi , with one arm taped behind his back,I think BBC coverage and presenters are so far ahead of anything that ITV managed to achieve , perhaps he is correct however I am sure that there is an awfull lot of mistakes bieng made across the entite Ferrari garage apart from just poor driving.

Jenson came into the sport,but somehow he seemed,to me,to be chasing the big money and not concentrating on finding the best car.
He has,through various chains of events,now got his steering wheel bolted to the best car,along with the worlds best Formula 1 mind on the pit wall managing his every move and decisions.
Lewis will, I'm sure, give Jenson a run for the title starting at Monaco this coming weekend.
I would , however , not rule out Sebastian Vittel in the Red Bull , he knows the circuit well and the car , as does any Adrian Newey designed racer , will be the best he has raced there.
Looking forward to a great weekend of racing plus the ongoing ''off circuit '' battles.

Come On Lewis,best of luck to Jenson too( It would be brilliant if Jenson and Lewis were both driving for McLaren next year? )

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Thu May 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Frosty wrote:Lewis will, I'm sure, give Jenson a run for the title starting at Monaco this coming weekend.

fROSTY

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ferrari are to get their way with no £40 million cap on next years expenditure.A level playing field is the last thing Ferrari want.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Button was fantastic today. I'm going to eat my words. :oops: I'm a fan.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:18 pm

I spotted Lewis Hamilton,at the end of the GP at Silverstone,doing a series of doughnuts in front of the fans in one of the grandstands.It really changed my opinion of the guy.Though he is going through a torrid time,and finishing at the tail end, he had a thought for the fans and gave them a show.It is little things like that that show he is not as self centered as I thought him to be.He has certainly gone up in my estimation.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:02 pm

I see on the news tonight that Max Mosely has done the right thing and is stepping down in October. I would imagine that now that the breakaway constructors' championship has been organised it might have had something to do with it! :<>
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:55 am

The future of Formula One was thrown into fresh doubt on Thursday night when Max Mosley performed a dramatic U-turn and threatened to stand for re-election as president of world motor racing's governing body.

..............and so it goes on and on and on
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:17 pm

Watching the Qualifying sessions today and Massa did not look good after that accident. How ironic that he was leading the tributes to Surtees and the same thing happens to him. The video of him hitting that wall of tyres at 200mph was scary stuff. Hope he's okay.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:47 pm

I've just came in from Refereeing a friendly football match to check and see how qualifying went.
What an extraordinary set of circumstances which led to Rubens Barrichello's rear suspension spring to collide with Felipe Massa's safety helmet approx 4 seconds after it fell off the rear wing of the Brawn car.
I've seen a video of the incident on http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... efault.stm
I hope Feilipe recovers from his emergency surgery as he has suffered damage to his skull.Adding this incident to the unfortunate accidental death of John Surtees's son Henry , who was only 18 , I hope that all the Bodies can unite , meet , study all the evidence and make the correct changes to help ensure that these incidents cannot be repeated.
They did this after the 1994 tragedy at Imola , where the great Ayrton Senna died I'm sure that they will be equally successful in their search for the answers this time.

fROSTY
Last edited by Frosty on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:28 pm

I agree Frosty, quite extraordinary. It reminds me of the Ratzenberger/Senna weekend a lot where, as you say, there were new improvements to car and circuit safety after debris penetrated Senna's helmet. But the death last week and now this accident means more talk! I'm pretty sure that in F1, the car tyres are attached now by some sort of wire so that if they come off, there is no danger of them hitting a driver (I'm not sure, I think they are) but if so, it doesn't extend to F2. And that spring bounced considerably far before hitting Massa! Not sure what they could do to avoid such a freak accident, mind you.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:25 pm

Poor Alonso.
I was obviously wrong about the tyres being attached then! :oops: I'm sure they were at some point. Nevertheless, that tyre could have hit someone today and surely this problem needs to be looked at asap.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Hamilton is back! :D Look out Jensen! 8)
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sport Chit Chat