Hillsborough

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Hillsborough

Postby Jock Strap » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:04 pm

20 years ago on Wednesday.

I can still remember the news coming in very clearly. Sad day indeed.
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Hillsborough

Postby blueboyno1 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:48 pm

Very sad :(
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Kevin Mc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:48 am

Can't believe it was that long ago now. Remember watching it live on TV - you could just tell something was not right. RIP the 96 :(
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby blueboyno1 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:44 pm

I can also remember vividly the Ibrox disaster on 2nd January 1971 when 66 people lost their lives .Both were terrible.
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:18 pm

There was a very fitting tribute on Saturday afternoon on the TV. Heartbreaking but also dreadful that there was no justice and that it was avoidable. Watching it live was horrific. There's a programme on tomorrow night made for the History Channel where Kenny Dalglish talks for the first time about this worst British football tragedy.

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.uk/site/tv_guide/full_details/British_history/programme_892.php
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby smiles » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:08 pm

They'll never walk alone
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ags » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:49 pm

It is Kenny Dalglish's daughter Kelly who is presenting the programme on the history channel.....just another of these horrible days that you will always remember where you were and what you were doing whilst watching a tragedy unfold!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Not sure on the merit of posting this, but thought I'd give an example of the differing views of football supporters .....

For those who need some explaining, this is the attitude of 'some' of the Juventus fans to the Hillsborough disaster. :shock:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hume » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:10 pm

Heysel was a real tragedy too but that is incedible! Only a couple of weeks after the Bradford stadium fire too.

Do you know when that photo was taken sheik, soon after Hillsborough?

Is that a St George's Cross on a banner top right or is it something to with Genova/Genoa?
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:02 am

Hume wrote:Do you know when that photo was taken sheik, soon after Hillsborough?

Very interestingly the banner was unfurled at the Juventus vs. Liverpool game at the Stadio Delle Alpi in April 2005. A good 20 years afer Heysel, and 16 years after Hillsborough - but I think the first time the two teams had met since Heysel. The game finished 0-0 that night, and Liverpool went thru 2-1 on aggregate, I believe there was a lot of trouble in and around the stadium.

I'm guessing the banner came from one of their sets of Ultras.

I can't quite make out the George's Cross/Genoa flag to make a comment.
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Quite incredible to hear the details in the report yesterday and another damning indictment of the way the 'establishment' acts to cover-up whenever a monumental cock-up has been made.

We can now add Hillsborough to the illustrious list that includes the Deadly Dossier, Lockerbie, Bloody Sunday, and 'our' Chinook Crash, etc, etc.

A heartbreaking tragedy created by incompetence, inexperience and prejudice; and covered-up by lies, deceit and corruption.

A shocking tale of our time.
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue May 21, 2013 12:05 am

Panorama made for some extremely painful and upsetting viewing this evening. :cry:
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue May 21, 2013 7:50 pm

You're right Sheik. Apart from the compelling evidence, I think it served 2 purposes:

1. Even though they KNOW now the full story, these b@$t@r&s show little remorse. Why has that Lord Dear not been stripped of his titles? When presented with the evidence about amending the police statements, he showed no regret last night. That floored me, that did - and that alone should have had him jailed. It would have happened if it were one of us. All the liars and cheats have either been rewarded with honours or huge pensions. Mr Govangirl thought Straw at least apologised but sorry - only because he was caught. Dear, Straw, Thatcher, Blair - all are disgusting and make me sick. The victims' families have not only missed out on justice but on any contrition too. I would somehow feel better about this whole tragedy if at least those concerned had difficulty sleeping at night or faced their responsibilities but there was no remorse. They allowed these families to fight for all these nightmarish years for the truth.

2. I know how we're all lied to in every aspect of our lives but it just opens your eyes to the sheer amount of this country's institutions and businesses surviving on cover-ups, corruption and lies. The 3.15 cut-off point was the most damning evidence but also the most harrowing. Another low point was Blair's note: 'Why? What's the point?' Sickening.

We often moan about the BBC but this was investigative journalism at its best. And it keeps the truth out in the open.

Sheik, I noticed your picture above but I think the fans in this country have been exemplary in supporting the Justice Campaign and that deserves credit:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=304931.0
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Sport Chit Chat