'' We Will Rock You '' The Musical

Have your say....

'' We Will Rock You '' The Musical

Postby Frosty » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:48 pm

I have to say that I went to The Palace Theatre in Manchester , last night , not knowing wether I was going to enjoy this Ben Elton Musical.
I should never have worried , it was brilliant.
They have finally released the show to tour the UK , so there is no need to travel to London !
If anyone gets the chance of catching this tour then you should really go , its funny , serious , spectacular and a great night out.
Has anyone else seen or going to see this show?

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: '' We Will Rock You '' The Musical

Postby Govangirl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Frosty, I HATE musicals, I have to say but I have seen every one going (some several times over) because I used to enjoy them and as I have a 12 year-old daughter, I take her to see them. I used to go with Mr Govangirl until I realised I didn't have to go through that torture and started going with my pals. My one recurring flashback nightmare was when we got front seat tickets for Cats (on the revolving stage) and the 'cats' come out and 'paw' and 'stroke' you - he nearly had apoplexy and I could have died when he threatened with the 'Paw me once more and I'll deck you, mate' nonsense.

Anyway, out of all the ones I've dragged him screaming to, he has only ever enjoyed two: Blood Brothers (probably because it's such an indictment of Thatcher's policies) and We Will Rock You, the latter he thought he was going to hate. He still of course picked holes in it all the way home but then that was expected. :roll: I myself loved it as a lot of these musicals based on discographies are usually so contrived (like Rod Stewart's although I had a whale of a time that night) and this seemed to have more of a believable story. I've seen it a few times as have been on school trips but have to tell you that the greatest was when at the end the guitar is played and suddenly the trapdoor thingy opens and out came Brian May playing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seemingly, he does this every now and again. I can't pretend that it was by accident - a friend of ours has a musical son in a band (who was in the final of the kids' Star in their Eyes) who told us he often corresponded with May. We didn't really believe him but when he heard we were going to the show he said he'd ask him when he was appearing so we thought we'd at least try it. So we were too sceptical after all! It was really exciting on the night.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks Mrs. G.

Brian May does exactly that , you can usually see the dates on his website.
I'm sure Mr G would have liked the GaGa girls? Especially from the 3 rows back that I could see them from.
The entire cast seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby TYM » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:43 pm

Pleased to see your positive review Frosty.

I have tickets to see this at the Edinburgh Playhouse on 28th November but was a little concerned that it would not live up to other Musicals I have gone to at the same venue in the past. I am a little less worried now.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:55 pm

Can I ask what others you have enjoyed Tym?

My first musical was Chess and I see they are bringing that back.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby TYM » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:11 pm

I have been organising Trips to Edinburgh once a year, pre Christmas, since 1994. The first was "Joseph" with Philip Schofield and I must say that I still think on this one as being the most memorable.

I also enjoyed "Phantom" and strangely "Annie Get Your Gun". "Sunshine on Leith" is another favourite but maybe that is beacause of an emotional attachment.

If I sell all my allocation of tickets I sometimes miss out on the Show and Mamma Mia came into that category. I think it would be voted as the most universally enjoyed.

Would like to see Billy Elliot but I don't think it has moved out of London yet.

Strange how things turn out. 20 years ago I would never have thought I would ever have gone to a Musical. Also would have scoffed at the idea of ever going to Ballet yet now the idea quite appeals. A terrible thing this ageing process :lol:
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ags » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Blimey was Philip Schofield as Joseph that long ago TYM - that was my first musical too and I thought it was great. We have since seen Cats, mamma Mia (twice) Joseph (another twice), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, High School Musical and Mary Poppins. I did the embarassing Mum routine and cried my eyes out at Mary Poppins it was so good. Mum and I had tickets to see Phantom twice and unfortunately had to cancel both times so it's put me off trying to book again. I think top of my "to see" list would have to be Lion King.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:38 pm

IMHO the best was Les Miserables.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:21 pm

'' Startlight Express '' was the first musical I saw , that was in London. I'm sure that it was , and always will be , one of the best ever Musicals.

You should look forward to a great night out on Nov. , TYM , plus I'm sure all your annual coach '' Buddies '' ( including my Mum ) will rock too !

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EileenH » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:14 pm

We went to see We will rock you a few years ago in London. We went to visit friends there who had got us tickets. I'm not a fan of musicals but thouroughly enjoyed it. The one liners in it were brilliant! I would go and see it again.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc