Synod of Argyll

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Synod of Argyll

Postby cgms310 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:07 pm

I am hoping that one or more of the members of the Kintyre Forum will have access one or both books, entitled "Meeting of the Synod of Argyll".

The first book is for 1639 to 1651 published in 1943 and the second book is for 1652 to 1661 published in 1944.

These are the last of the old known records of the region and are seemingly the only ones to elude me since I began my research.

For other researchers, I now have the following documents if anyone needs copies:

The Kintyre Rentals 1505
The Papers on Kintyre 1596 - 1606
The Commons of Argyll 1685 - 1692
The Hearth Tax 1694
The List of Inhabitants upon the Duke of Argyle's Property in Kintyre in 1792

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Synod of Argyll

Postby robinoz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:54 pm

Hello Charles,
Can you tell me the extent of the Duke of Argyle's Property in Kintyre in 1792?
robinoz
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby cgms310 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi Robin,

In 1792, the Duke of Argyll had massive tracts of land and homes/buildings in Campbeltown.

The List of Inhabitants book contains mostly farm names and the people who were living there at the time in a list format. The same go for the houses owned by the Argyll family.

If you would like me to send you what I have and some examples of the book, please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will get them to you.

Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ceancille » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:21 am

Dear Charles,
I was interested to read the list of antiquarian refernce books and documents which you own about the history of Argyll and the Kintyre Peninsula in particular. The Clan MacNeil in Australia are research details of the families who lived in Argyll in the period of 1400 to 1800 AD. I am most interested in documents such as " The list of tenants of the Duke of Argyll's Kintyre estate 1790" and the "Hearth Tax records of Kintyre 1694".
At thiss stage I have been unable to find either a digital copy or a second hand copy. However I think that I might be able to get access to the Hearth Tax records through the Church of Latter Day Saints.
Yours aye,
John
Ceancille
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Dear John,

Please send me your e-mail address via the PM service on this site and I will send you the documents you requested.

With best regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby kenmcgo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:30 pm

Hello, Charles.

I am researching McGoogans/ McGugans
from Kintyre, Gigha and Knapdale, and would
very much appreciate seeing any of these documents
you might be able to make available:

The Kintyre Rentals 1505
The Papers on Kintyre 1596 - 1606
The Commons of Argyll 1685 - 1692
The Hearth Tax 1694
The List of Inhabitants upon the Duke of Argyle's Property in Kintyre in 1792.

Best regards from Toronto.
Ken

kenmcgo@hotmail.com
kenmcgo
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby chrissie81 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Hello - I am new to this forum, interested in McCallums from the Loch Fyne area.

Would either of the Duke of Argyll's lists of tenants include the inhabitants of Ardno?

Chrissie
chrissie81
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby pursebearer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:02 pm

A softback edition of the book "List of Inhabitants opon the Duke of Argyle's Property in Kintyre in 1792" is available from the Scottish Genealogy Society for the modest sum of £4 (plus postage):
http://shop.scotsgenealogy.com/cgi-bin/ ... 1378#a1378
Published in 1991 by the Scottiah Record Society, New Series 17, edited by A.I.B. Stewart, the ISBN is 0 902054 12 0.

It covers the parishes of Kilcolmkill, Kilblaan, Kilkivan, Kilkerran, Campbeltown, Kilmichael, Kilchousland, Kilkenzie, Killean and and the Carradale part of Saddell & Skipness. There is a name index and a place index.

Rather that deprive the society of funds by asking for free lookups, why not buy a copy, it's hardly a great sum, indeed amazing value for 313 pages! :)
pursebearer
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Rwatking » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:23 pm

I've just contacted the Scottish Genealogy Society for a copy of "List of Inhabitants upon the Duke of Argyle's Property in Kintyre in 1792" and they have replied that the book is sold out and now unavailable, certainly from them.

Any other sources for the book?
Rwatking
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby dragonlynn67 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Hello, Charles.

Your post is several years old, so I'm not sure if you're even still around. I have a copy of the Minutes of the Synod of Argyll (both volumes) - it is not mine, it's a library copy, but I am happy to look up/copy information you might like.

I would very much like a copy of the Commons of Argyll if you still have this. I have found it quite difficult to obtain.

Lynn
dragonlynn67
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion