Looking for John McEachern !

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

cross

Postby Jeanette » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:18 pm

Here is a photo of the cross at the head of the peir. It was taken by a local photographer John Gillespie. The trench point is in the distance where you can see Davaar Island

[
jeanette
Last edited by Jeanette on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

McEacherns

Postby dgraves » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:08 pm

What a beautiful photograph, Jeanette! Thank you so much for the information. I hadn't seen the inscription on the Cross translated. When Mr. John sent me to the Cross, it was beautiful- gave me goosebumps!

I had had the old trunk of my Grandma's things in storage since she died in 1987 and never went through it until now.

The book on Kintyre said this (native son) Archibald McEachern returned from Africa with a vast fortune that he invested in the building of the shipyard (financed entirely by himself) as an act of philanthropy (unemployment in the town) that later grew into a thriving business. Interesting.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

/

Postby Neil » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:48 pm

//////////////////////////////
Last edited by Neil on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil
Active Poster
Active Poster

Missing Photograph

Postby dgraves » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:22 pm

The missing photograph above is by John Gillespie:

Snow scene of Campbeltown with a view of the Cross and Trench in the background. It is similar to the current one on view this week (24-08-05) for photo of the week.

You can view the photo in the Photo Album on the main site home page.
Beautiful!!
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Admin3 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:58 pm

Yes it can be seen at:-

http://www.visitkintyre.info/images/Pho ... r_Quay.jpg

There are plans for a whole photo album of John's stunning photos.

Watch this space (well not this one but.... :lol: )
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is this

Postby Jin9933 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:48 am

dgraves wrote:Hi, Malky-

Is this what I think it is? ... Thats awesome!:)
Jin9933

Postby dgraves » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:26 am

Hi Davie,

I just realized you had added new old photos of Campbeltown on Down Memory Lane.
I found the visitkintyre site originally by Malky's old photos on campbeltownloch. I was combing through them, looking for John McEachern's store.

Glad you are adding more. I know it will show up in one of them!
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: mercantile

Postby eddie mitchell » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:44 pm

Jeanette wrote:There was a grocers shop where the dhorlin is now (the new chinese takeaway) The owner was Sandy Mceachran and the shop was eventually run by his two sons Allistair and David. Allistair had two sons called David who is in the merchany navy and Allistair who ilives in Canada. David, Sand'ys other son had one daughter Elaine, who runs the chip van which sits over the esplanade She might be able to help. But then again that might not be the Mceachrans that you are on about. I don't remember anybody else of that name running a shop but you never know. It was along time ago.
:lol: I definitely think this is the grocers you were looking for, I can remember going in the shop as a child with my grandfather Ned.Elaine who runs the chip van is your best bet. Good hunting!
eddie mitchell
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: mercantile

Postby dgraves » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:06 am

eddie mitchell wrote:
Jeanette wrote:There was a grocers shop where the dhorlin is now (the new chinese takeaway) The owner was Sandy Mceachran and the shop was eventually run by his two sons Allistair and David. Allistair had two sons called David who is in the merchany navy and Allistair who ilives in Canada. David, Sand'ys other son had one daughter Elaine, who runs the chip van which sits over the esplanade She might be able to help. But then again that might not be the Mceachrans that you are on about. I don't remember anybody else of that name running a shop but you never know. It was along time ago.
:lol: I definitely think this is the grocers you were looking for, I can remember going in the shop as a child with my grandfather Ned.Elaine who runs the chip van is your best bet. Good hunting!

Hi Eddie, and thanks!

My daughter Shauna will be coming to town, so I will certainly make sure she looks up the McEachrans. I've been told that they are a different branch of the family, but here's hoping :lol:
At times I've had the feeling that I must've been in the Twilight Zone when I talked to John McEachern all those years ago. :lol: :lol: I didn't know him, but he sure knew about us, down to our dates of birth. And he's just... disappeared-
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dgraves » Thu May 11, 2006 11:02 am

Well..Saturday is the big day! I'm leaving this morning to Pennsylvania for Shauna's graduation :D
See you guys in about 10 days..take care-
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Shop..

Postby Dunc » Thu May 11, 2006 5:06 pm

If you go onto Russell Carrols website take campbeltown 1 bring up Mafeking place just beside it is a blank gable end on the right side... there are 2 people standing there ....that was where Sandy's shop was in fact it may be that very building.

Dunc
Only the truth has been changed
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby dgraves » Tue May 30, 2006 6:34 am

Thanks Dunc, I'll look for it. Is it the first Campbeltown folder in Campbeltownloch? Don't know how I missed it.

Here is a picture that a friend sent me recently:

It sure looks different from what I remember. But that many years ago, its no wonder, is it?
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Wee shop

Postby Dunc » Tue May 30, 2006 9:57 am

It's the first folder...enlarge Mafeking place and there you are...

Dunc
Only the truth has been changed
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

What the ...

Postby Annie » Tue May 30, 2006 2:59 pm

I know I have been gone a while, but who the hell thought it would be a good idea to paint Mafeking Place that awful color?????????????

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Shop..

Postby Kevin.H » Tue May 30, 2006 8:17 pm

Dunc wrote:If you go onto Russell Carrols website

How do you get to this website?

Kev
Kevin.H
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!