Things for kids to do while in Glasgow

New forum under General to discuss travel, best places to visit, best hotels, things to do, things not to do etc!

Things for kids to do while in Glasgow

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:12 pm

So what do you recommend doing in and around Glasgow to pass a Saturday afternoon?
Last edited by Ship called Dignity on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Things for kids to do while in Glasgow

Postby Mary G » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:00 am

The People's Palace, or Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Both excellent facilities, and lots of places to run around in if you are three ;-)

http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:46 am

Depending on the ages, I would strongly recommend the IMAX cinema, and the Science centre.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:27 am

Take underground to Hillhead, and walk up byres road to Botanic gardens. Kibble Palace in the botanic gardens, recently all refurbished, tropically heated, free to get into, our girls love it - running (slowly) and hiding (carefully) among the tropical plants, and into the big nursery greenhouses next door. There's also a smallish playpark with a selection of slides/swings etc good for up to 5/6 yrs. Nip out the back of the botanics and you go down some steps (just to the left of the toilets behind the kibble palace) to a walkway along the banks of the River Kelvin for about a mile (really interesting bridges you walk under, and well for worth it for all ages) and come out at Kelvinbridge underground, hop on and take the underground train back round to Buchanan Street.

Transport Museum at Kelvin Hall also free and also intersting for all ages.
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:09 am

Was going to go on the underground to the West End but the wee fla didn't like the idea of going below the ground on a train. :)

I loved wandering around the Kelvingrove Art Gallery on Sunday afternoons when I stayed in the area. God - that was 10 years ago. :shock: Haven't been since it was refurbished.

ionnsaigh wrote:Depending on the ages, I would strongly recommend the IMAX cinema, and the Science centre.

Asked about this Ionnsaigh, but got a blank response. Will keep in mind for next time. Cheers

Really should have looked things up before I went but assumed the Hotel would have public Internet Access. To be honest, it started to rain and a visit to Cineworld was a good choice. Not cheap mind you! I thought the pic nmix at Woolies was dear! :mrgreen:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Carmen » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:20 pm

Would recommend the sledging as well at Xscape. Brilliant fun for everyone. We have done it twice and plan to do it again the weekend before christmas when we are up at the pantomine. Also have been recommended the transport museum and the science museum. But well worth doing Xscape great fun for everyone and plus also lots to do in there apart from the sledging.
Carmen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby WTC » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:35 pm

There are plenty of things for the kids to do while you’re in Glasgow.

If they are very young keep them in the pram. They’ll never know any different! :lol: :lol:

They could have a wee swim while you’re away at the Aquilibrium. They could walk down to the paddling pool and look at the fauna and foliage and ask their babysitter ‘where’s the pool?’ They could go to the Wee Pictures. If they are old enough they could go ‘down the street’ at night. They could take up golf or surfing. They could go for a picnic and paddle on Dalintober beach now we have a sewerage system in place. They could go bird watching. If they can drive they can go round and round the town with just their sidelights on all night long. They could go hill walking (if they have a GPS PAYG).

The list goes on……………………
:?
"Stoneybridge has facilities and.......facilities, So come to Stoneybridge !"
WTC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby sooze » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:45 pm

What about the transport museum?

Sooze
sooze
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Hume » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Ship called Dignity wrote:
I loved wandering around the Kelvingrove Art Gallery on Sunday afternoons when I stayed in the area. God - that was 10 years ago. :shock:

I heard the only culture you saw when you stayed there was the Stirling Castle :wink:
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby crispin » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Construction toys help kids to understand the things well. It is powerful when you recognize the importance that construction toys can have for children. It’s not just play time, although it’s fun as well as instructive. It is essential to your child’s basic educational foundation to take advantage of the wonderful learning opportunities you can seize by introducing kids to the skills needed to complete a construction set.
it is necessary in all the activities of kids..

Construction toys for children
crispin
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Abigail » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:16 pm

The Galssglow Science Center is also a good thing to consider for kids. It has a lot of fun exhibitions and a lot to learn new interesting things there.
countdown to new year to get the best memories!
Abigail
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Abigail » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:20 pm

Glasgow Science Center is a good option to consider though what you have decided to do and how was it?
countdown to new year to get the best memories!
Abigail
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Travel