The Changing Face of Campbeltown

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: The Changing Face of Campbeltown

Postby petewick » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:47 pm

The wee rent office on Ralston Rd.
When it was put out of use, we used it as a gang hut, great it was, carpet, chairs, tables etc.
We did no one any harm, no damage or noise etc, great place on a wet night, still they chucked us out eventually. :cry:
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:35 am

History wrote:
Anyone who lived in the prefabs loved them. The kitchens were state of the art with their built in facilities. Table, fridge, gas cooker and tall cupboards. The living room even had its own glass display cabinet with drawers and the bedrooms had built in wardrobes. The toilet was seperate from the bathroom and the hall had built in cupboards and a shed outside.

All very compact and afforable housing for families getting their lives back after the war.

Only downside was that they were like ovens in the summer and absolutely Baltic in the winter and if the kitchen window was open you almost always hit your head on it when coming along the path outside.:shock:

Great wee houses, all detached with their own large garden .
History

They were indeed, although they were obviously not designed to last. They were starting to fall to bits before they were demolished.

They were also affordable as you say. Sometimes I was sent with the rent book on my way back from Dalintober School, and it was 17/6d a week. (87.5p) :lol: A bit different from what they call "affordable" housing nowadays. I think the rent office was in Millknowe Terrace at that time?

Although they were there for a bit less than 20 years, I remember most of the gardens were very well maintained and looked quite mature. It was a pity that they had to be destroyed. :(
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:01 am

EMDEE wrote:On the subject of old buildings, and the days of the prefabs, there are probably quite a few forum members brought up in that part of the town who will remember the meeting place for youngsters from the Albyn/Davaar/Calton areas.

There was no concern in these days about health and safety! Although I did once fall out of a tree and break my left arm and dislocate my shoulder. J D Carra will remember that, he was there when it happened. Hope you don't have a photo JD! :lol:

Its great you can all bring back good memories. I EMDEE and History, mind the ones that were at Hillside road/Calton junction, am I right?........... the roof blew off one stormy night with an elderly chap in his bed.

EMDEE, that was a frightfull experiance when you had that fall, what year was that and was it up the Brew?

History wrote:
Anyone who lived in the prefabs loved them. The kitchens were state of the art with their built in facilities. Table, fridge, gas cooker and tall cupboards. The living room even had its own glass display cabinet with drawers and the bedrooms had built in wardrobes. The toilet was seperate from the bathroom and the hall had built in cupboards and a shed outside.

All very compact and afforable housing for families getting their lives back after the war.

Only downside was that they were like ovens in the summer and absolutely Baltic in the winter and if the kitchen window was open you almost always hit your head on it when coming along the path outside.:shock:

Great wee houses, all detached with their own large garden .

Maybe JD will have some family pictures from back then of prefabs 8)

..and yes I remember the dump

My late mother had many photos of us young and of the town, sadly they were lost some time ago. I'm sure someone will have some of the prefabs, attached are pics I took from the Peoples Palace in Glasgow.

Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:08 pm

JD as you can see in the photo below ,taken from "Campbeltownloch.com",the prefabs in town were infact different to the one in your pics.

As you entered the front door to the left was the toilet,next window to the left is the seperate bathroom,further down left is the kitchen.To the right of the front door is a bedroom,behind that was the other bedroom and to the left of that was the living room.

You could walk in the front door down the lobby through into the living room into the kitchen and out the side door.

I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:54 pm

Your right Bill, I should have put simular too. They had a metal frame with the dreaded asbestos bolted to it. There was no health and safety issues in them days :) .

Do you know who's house that was?
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:13 pm

jdcarra wrote:Do you know who's house that was?

Fraid we don't know who's house it was, but whoever stayed there certainly took great pride in their garden.

Peter Scot's parents stayed in the prefab probably 2nd on the left from the one shown.Their son Peter was aging with us,he also came to Corby.He didn't stay long and as far as we remember he returned home.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:07 pm

bill wrote:
jdcarra wrote:Do you know who's house that was?

Fraid we don't know who's house it was, but whoever stayed there certainly took great pride in their garden.

Peter Scot's parents stayed in the prefab probably 2nd on the left from the one shown.Their son Peter was aging with us,he also came to Corby.He didn't stay long and as far as we remember he returned home.

Where was that prefab?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:28 pm

EMDEE wrote:Where was that prefab?

The description that went with the photo from"Campbeltownloch.com"

A front view of a prefab at Lady Mary Row. The photo also shows the size of the old 405 line vhf TV aerials that were used in the town to receive Ulster Television, the only TV service available in the town at that time. Scottish Television only became available when Granada brought a piped service to the town. Circa late 50s early 60s.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:33 pm

The second photo which shows the rear of the same prefab.

I find this picture very interesting as basically 100% of the buildings shown are now all gone.

http://www.campbeltownloch.com/news.php

bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tubby the Tuba » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:21 pm

The Horsa huts at Castlehill school playground, and there was a couple of other buildings at the back of the school if I mind right.

Bellfield Farm buildings.
Tubby the Tuba
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby EMDEE » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:10 pm

jdcarra wrote:
Its great you can all bring back good memories. I EMDEE and History, mind the ones that were at Hillside road/Calton junction, am I right?........... the roof blew off one stormy night with an elderly chap in his bed.

EMDEE, that was a frightfull experiance when you had that fall, what year was that and was it up the Brew?

I think over the years there were a few roofs blown off. I don't think these houses were built for some of the winds on the west coast.

The fall from the tree was in 1962. It was in the vacant area between Jack McRobert's garage and the backs of the houses in Davaar Avenue. The worst bit about it for me was when Dr Cameron reinserted my dislocated shoulder. :shock: That put me off climbing trees for a long time!
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:25 pm

bill wrote:The second photo which shows the rear of the same prefab.

I find this picture very interesting as basically 100% of the buildings shown are now all gone.

http://www.campbeltownloch.com/news.php

The changing face of Campbeltown right enough! The only two buildings in that photo that are still standing are the Customs House and the bonds in Lochend. :(
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby SAR TEAM LEADER » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:09 pm

I remember the piggery on the Roading,the wee cottage below it and the 'dump'. I've great memories of all the street games played in that area and how the building of roading cottages seemed to spoil it all or maybe we were just growing up? :?
SAR TEAM LEADER
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:05 pm

There was the other piggery round the corner at the top of Glebe Street.

You always knew when the pigs were being fed, you could hear the squeals over in Albyn Avenue.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:49 pm

Just wondering, how the Silver Bogs got that name.
Was told a while ago but have forgotten.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion