The Boss!

Have your say....

Re: The Boss!

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:33 pm

Horse, has he ever played Australia?

At least you're the only one of us that he's mentioned in a song: "There's a pale horse comin
And I'm gonna ride it" (Dead Man Walking). Think I might change my name then to 'A pale horse' :wink: :oops:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 am

Hohoho!! There's a few of us wouldn't mind being a pale horse!! I'm wrong about the Rising Tour - read an article last night about that concert being almost 5 years to the day of the Old Trafford gig so it was 2003 :oops:!!
Now that I have 5 minutes to spare here is the set list from 28th May:

No Surrender
Radio Nowhere
Night
Lonesome Day
The Promised Land
Magic
Trapped
Adam Raised a Cain
Darlington County
It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City
Because the Night
She's the One
Livin' in the Future
Mary's Place
'll Work for your Love
Devil's Arcade
The Rising
Last to Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands

Growin Up
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Born to Run
Rosalita
Dancing in the Dark
American Land

Growing Up was funny - it was the request of a wee guy who must just have been about 6 years old - perched on his dads shoulder with big orange earphones on. A fabulous first concert for him :D

Must admit Govangirl - we got our Seeger Sessions tickets on ebay :oops: - as a total one off though it was worth every penny :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:24 pm

I think it's okay to get tickets on eBay just as long as they are not extortionate and stopping real fans from getting tickets. I hate it when I can't get mine even though I phone as soon as they're released and then a seller is selling 6 of them at vast profit, i.e. £180 a ticket!!!! :evil:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:36 am

Govangirl wrote:Horse, has he ever played Australia?

At least you're the only one of us that he's mentioned in a song: "There's a pale horse comin
And I'm gonna ride it" (Dead Man Walking). Think I might change my name then to 'A pale horse' :wink: :oops:

Well, Im only backpacking, but Ive been here a year and two months and he hasnt played in that time. I cant see any listings in the near future either.

But youre right, I am pale.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks for posting the set lists everybody and your views too.
I now wish that I had managed to get to one of the shows.
Last time I saw The Boss was 1985 at Newcastle , Born In The USA tour , where he opened with the title track , then proceeded to play for about 4 Hours , with a break in the middle. Brilliant stories from Bruce and he always picked a gorgeous female from the Audience to dance with him during the Dancing In The Dark instrumental section , just like he did in the video. Does he still do that ?
I'm sure he donated some of his profits for the UK leg of that tour to the striking miners ?

Thanks again,
fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:46 am

Frosty wrote:Last time I saw The Boss was 1985 at Newcastle , Born In The USA tour , where he opened with the title track , then proceeded to play for about 4 Hours , with a break in the middle. Brilliant stories from Bruce and he always picked a gorgeous female from the Audience to dance with him during the Dancing In The Dark instrumental section , just like he did in the video. Does he still do that ?
I'm sure he donated some of his profits for the UK leg of that tour to the striking miners ?

Thanks again,
fROSTY

Yes, that was a stomping tour, I saw him at Wembley, - just sooooooo memorable. I remember most the stories of his father. No, he doesn't pick someone from the audience now, can't think why. Maybe Patti banned him!!! :lol:
And yes, he did donate to the miners. Born in the USA, as you no doubt know, was about an America that was suffering from welfare cuts and high unemployment. It's been widely misinterpreted and misused. Here's the poignant story of a worn-out Vietnam veteran who can't get a break, despite living in the land of opportunity. Ronald Reagan attempted to adopt the song in his re-election campaign - but soon dropped it when there was an outcry of what the song really meant.
Thing is, Frosty, you saw him all the way back then and I swear at 58 he's still got the same energy. Incredible! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:53 am

Frosty wrote:Last time I saw The Boss was 1985 at Newcastle , Born In The USA tour , where he opened with the title track , then proceeded to play for about 4 Hours , with a break in the middle.

Frosty - that was my first ever gig! I'd been brough up on a staple of Springsteen due to my brother's musical taste. So when this came around he decided to take me along. I was blown away, but he was at pains to point out to me what I had just witnessed wasn't normal. Other artists don't play for over 4 hours! He was right!

I think 80% of the audience that day were Scottish.

Saw him in Sheffield on Tunnel of Love tour when he played for 4hrs 15 minutes, when I had to leave during his version of Twist and Shout!

Saw him at the SECC on the Human Touch/Lucky Town tour - when they put the house lights on, and threatened to switch off the power if he didn't come off stage - "because the staff had homes to go to".

Good memories indeed.

Conversely I went to see a 'world famous artist' 2 years ago, who played for 55 minutes before going off, returned for encore and did another 15 minutes. :shock: These people should take a leaf out of Springsteen's book.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:19 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:
Frosty wrote:Saw him in Sheffield on Tunnel of Love tour when he played for 4hrs 15 minutes, when I had to leave during his version of Twist and Shout!

I was there too, Sheik!!!!!! I was heavily pregnant with my first child (this was September, I gave birth in November) and I thought a great introduction to his music for him!!!! It got too much to stand though and at the break my hubby and I met an actress from the TV soap, 'Brookside' who was so concerned that I was standing, she gave me her seat which was really close to the side of the stage. I hardly sat at all although at times I did need that seat!!!! I put the ticket stub in my son's baby box when he was born.

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:ISaw him at the SECC on the Human Touch/Lucky Town tour - when they put the house lights on, and threatened to switch off the power if he didn't come off stage - "because the staff had homes to go to".

Good memories indeed.

Too true!!!! That's brilliant! :lol:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:49 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:[Conversely I went to see a 'world famous artist' 2 years ago, who played for 55 minutes before going off, returned for encore and did another 15 minutes. :shock: These people should take a leaf out of Springsteen's book.

Who? Rolf Harris? Name and shame please.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:30 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:Who? Rolf Harris? Name and shame please.

Yes please do, Sheik. For me, it's Van Morrison who only did 9 songs and no encore and he was in a cranky, bleedin' bad mood the whole time! :twisted:
But Bob Dylan's Modern Times Tour concert in Glasgow was electrifying! :D

Oh and Horse, I saw Rolf at the Margate Winter Gardens years ago and he was brilliant! :wink:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:19 pm

I can't say - it's far too embarrasing. However after asking others in the audience if it was the norm for that particular artist to perform such a ridiculously short set, they told me "it's not unusual" :wink:

Govangirl - have seen Van Morrison twice - the first time he made you feel like he'd been kidnapped and forced at gunpoint to play. I swore I'd never pay to go and see him again - it was a disgrace. I then got the chance to see him again, this time I was an invited corporate guest, and he was amazing, really interacting with the crowd and actually looked like he was enjoying himself. I've subsequently heard that this is quite common for bona-fide Van fans to enquire - "I wonder which Van will turn up tonight!"
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:27 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:I can't say - it's far too embarrasing. However after asking others in the audience if it was the norm for that particular artist to perform such a ridiculously short set, they told me "it's not unusual" :wink:

NO, NO, NO Sheik, I've been to see Tom 3 times and each time he played for more than 2 hours and what an entertainer! I can't imagine what happened the time you went but even when I went last year, despite his age, he was fab!!!!!!
So far today, I've admitted to paying to see Tom and Rolf, I've seriously damaged my Govan street cred!!!!! :oops:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:18 am

Aye - well he played for a grand total of about 75 minutes, really quite disappointing.

Have never seen anyone even get even remotely close to Springsteen for the length of sets, but would agree with you in that he appears to have as much energy on this tour as he had in 1985.
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:18 pm

Ags, this is for you and your daughter. I've finished the Springsteen unit and got fab work after studying Thunder Road. After we analysed it, I got them all to write a piece on a car redemptive theme - they could choose from a fiction piece, an article, a poem or lyrics. Some of it was brilliant and I made a display in class of their work with a big banner on it: 'All the redemption I can offer is beneath this dirty hood'. Most of all, they really enjoyed it and one or two are using it as their coursework! :D

Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:49 pm

Govangirl - glad to see your bringing the gospel to a new generation :wink:
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc