The Boss!

Have your say....

The Boss!

Postby Govangirl » Fri May 30, 2008 2:58 pm

Just sharing the fact that I'm off to London now to see Bruce Springsteen tonight! I can't wait. I've been a fan since 1978. Is there anyone else out there who has the same great taste in music?

Show a little faith, there's magic in the night! :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: The Boss!

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri May 30, 2008 4:43 pm

Ah Govangirl - I've always said you ain't a beauty but hey, you're all right. :wink:

Seen him 7 times now. Went to see him in at the Odyssey in Belfast just before Xmas, he's definitely back to his best. Good old fashioned rock and roll, but still prefer him in arenas rather than stadiums.

He played about 25 songs pretty much non-stop. Never played Thunder Road :cry: , but the version of the River was worth the admission money on it's own :D He starts with Radio Nowhere, and it's just sensational. They finished off with American Land, and the place was boucing to the Irish jig. Does a good up-tempo rockier version of Reason To Believe. Also adds a couple of new instant classics in Girls In Their Summer Clothes, and Long Walk Home.

I just got a bit concerned with the fact that he's now 58 :shock: and still running about the stage like a dafty. *THE* Band were incredible, Little Steven, Nils, Clarence, all on top form. Mrs Springsteen wasn't there, she was at home looking after the teenagers :wink:

Probably one of the best concerts I've seen in recent years. Enjoy. :D I'm really jealous. :evil:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat May 31, 2008 2:12 am

Sheik, it was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Pretty much how you described it but he did sing Thunder Road - the place was rocking! - AND Rosalita!!!! Old stuff is still absolutely amazing although he sang Point Blank which I've never really liked. I've been to quite a few concerts myself but apart from the Born in the USA tour MANY years back this was the only time I heard him do Dancing in the Dark - never a favourite but absolutely brilliant tonight. Badlands was fab too. Big Clarence was on top form!
58 but still as sexy and fit as ever and his age defied his performance - you're thinking that maybe we ain't that young anymore? See where faith gets you? :lol: I LOVE him!!!
Anyway, I am really hoarse and my erse is aw sheiked-oot!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sat May 31, 2008 2:17 am

Govangirl wrote:Anyway, I am really hoarse l:

Me too :D . Did he play human touch? I like it best.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat May 31, 2008 11:22 am

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:
Govangirl wrote:Anyway, I am really hoarse l:

Me too :D . Did he play human touch? I like it best.

:lol: Good one Horse.

Human Touch wasn't one of my fave albums and he didn't sing anything from it last night. I remember I liked the video released with the single.

They did a brilliant rendition of Cadillac Ranch and they were all having fun on the stage - that's when I thought about Danny Frederici and how sad it was.

But you're right Sheik - you would pay the ticket price alone to hear 'The River' - Ionnsaigh, if you're reading this, put away your Mao books and look up the lyrics to this song. You'll find them very powerful. It's about Springsteen's sister and brother-in-law. Although it's set in the States, it's a universal song and just substitute it for the Clyde.
"Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
Or is it something worse"

Sheik, the most beautiful introduction to this: it's on his 'Live 1975-85' Album where Bruce talks about his relation to his dad and how his Dad always told him that the army would "cut your hair and make a man out of you".
After he got his physical for Vietnam and failed he came home and his dad said "Where have you been?", Bruce replied "I went to take my physical".
His dad asked "What happened?".
"They didn't take me".
And his dad said: "Thats good".
And after that, those seconds of silence until Bruce starts playing harmonica like a god. I would defy anyone not to have tears in their eyes.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat May 31, 2008 11:29 am

Govangirl - to jog your memory - here's the set list from last night :D

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Radio Nowhere
The Ties That Bind
Lonesome Day
The Promised Land
Magic
Atlantic City
Reason To Believe
Candy's Room
Prove It All Night
Because The Night
Working On The Highway
Cadillac Ranch
Livin' In The Future
Mary's Place
Waitin' On A Sunny Day
Point Blank
Devil's Arcade
The Rising
Last To Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands

Thunder Road
Born To Run
Glory Days
Rosalita
Dancing In The Dark
American Land
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat May 31, 2008 11:34 am

Here's his set list from Belfast, forgot about the last song - bit cheesy but very entertaining:

Radio Nowhere
No Surrender
Lonesome Day
Gypsy Biker
Magic
Reason To Believe
Because The Night
She's The One
Livin' In The Future
The Promised Land
Waitin' On A Sunny Day
The River
I'll Work For Your Love
Devil's Arcade
The Rising
Last To Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands

Girls In Their Summer Clothes
Kitty's Back
Born To Run
Dancing In The Dark
American Land
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat May 31, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks Sheik :D
Look at that last 6 of last night - what a list!!!!! The best song the Boss ever wrote and other classics thrown in. What a night!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat May 31, 2008 1:53 pm

Here's a fab bit from last night

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nYkUBdvWDFE
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat May 31, 2008 2:40 pm

It certainly was an encore to die for. :D
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi Govangirl and Sheik! Just getting round to catching up on here! Still reeling after my trip to Manchester to see The Boss last wednesday!! Man - he was amazing!! Saw him 3 years ago in the Seeger sessions tour and thought nothing could beat that - this one sure did!! He came on stage with "is there anybody alive out there" and the crowd went nuts from that moment on!! Straight into Radio Nowehere! The Rising was fantastic and just as he began to sing Mary's Place the rain started pelting down making the crowd sing all the louder! Badlands had the whole 50,000 at Old Trafford totally jumping!! Three hours of playing and sliding round the stage on his knees ain't too bad for a 58 year old!!
We were staying with relatives in Manchester and a relation from the other side of the family works in management for "non-footballing" events at Old Trafford! She had tried to get Iain (and me I hope) :lol: a backstage pass but apparantly even the owner of Old Traffords wife - a massive fan - couldn't get one!!
Why oh why doesn't he play Scotland anymore!?!? Let's hope we get some more live shows before he retires though!! Best concert ever :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Thanks for that Ags, I wondered how Manchester rocked that night. I think I'd rather have been there myself. You're so right about Scotland too - Bruce said on Friday night that "it's great to rock with all you English!" Aaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!! :evil:

I actually went to the Seeger Sessions concert myself but although it was great fun, it wasn't anywhere near as exciting as this tour. This is every bit as fantastic as when I saw him in the eighties. :D
Today, I gave my Year 10 class a copy of Friday's concert review that was in Sunday's Observer as part of their study of media texts which is a requirement of English GCSE. Tomorrow we're going to annotate it for language, etc. and then I'm going to give them a copy of 'The River' to analyse. I had to give them a background today as none had heard of him and I was in my element, Ags!!!!!! Sometimes, I LOVE my job! :lol:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:39 am

Ags - I was wondering why it had taken you so long to post after Manchester :? You were obviously still too excited :D

I know a couple of people who went to see him there, one said the sound was terrible where they were in the stadium, and the other said it was OK.

Only sad things is I'm not sure how many chances there will be to see them all again, you've got to believe that if they ever tour again - they'll ALL be the wroing side of 60, and eligible for free bus passes. The even scarier thing is that Clarence is already 66. :shock:

I'm racking my brains but surely Tunnel of Love wasn't the last E Street Band Tour before this? That was 20 years ago! Actually it might have been The Rising, but I missed that one.

One thing I meant to ask - was Soozie Tyrell there or was it Mrs Springsteen herself? Personally I think Soozie adds an extra dimension to the band, especially the fiddle.
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:22 pm

Hey folks - sorry I missed you out yesterday Horse - he didn't do Human Touch at manchester either! Mrs Springsteen was at home keeping an eye on the kids so it was "Smiley Soozie" who was playing - she's great!! I also got a huge row after I posted yesterday as the gig kicked off with No surrender - then Radio Nowhere and not as I said :roll: ! He also did a fab version of "Because the night" which I had never heard him do before!
Last e street tour was The Rising in 2002. Iain saw him at Lancashire Cricket Ground just next to Old Trafford on that tour!
I really hope he plays soon again as the brainwashed child had to be brought home A Bruce t-shirt which was on under the school uniform on Friday so we have promised if we get the chance to see him again - she can come too! Even if its a school day!! :oops: She will be wishing you were her teacher Govangirl :lol:
Got a t-shirt for myself and a couple of the running girls - couldn't resist the "tramps like us baby we were born to run" :lol: :lol:
Where did you see the Seeger tour Govangirl? That would have gone down a treat North of the Border! We saw it in Manchester too and the audience were quite "reserved"!!
Oops - nearly forgot - still on a high Sheik though not as bad as Mr Ags who has talked of nothing else for the last week :lol: - and the sound where we were in the stadium was absolutely fine! We were in the south stand!

Anyway - anyone fancy Amsterdam or Barcelona????? :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:58 pm

No, Scialfa wasn't at London either. I read on his website that they were afraid they'd come back from the tour and find the house burned down - it seems teenagers are the same all over the world, even those spawned by the greatest Rock God!!!! :lol: :lol:

Ags, I went to Wembley for the Seeger Sessions. I really enjoyed it but my husband HATED it and spoiled the night moaning about f****ing folk music and lack of real beer (there was only lager on sale so guaranteed to be the end of the world, particularly as they committed the direst sin of sticking a wedge of lime in it!!) :mrgreen: But you're right Ags, this would have been great in Scotland.

Actually, the last tour was the one you were on Sheik - the Magic Tour. I tried endlessly to get tickets for this in December at O2 and couldn't - couldn't believe the sick scalper prices on eBay which I refuse to support :twisted:

Last one I was at was The Rising Tour and I remember being voiceless for a whole week!! I saw him twice on this tour, in London and in New Jersey!!!!!!! That was the best audience ever, no joking and my husband loved it so much he would have given up beer for a month not to have missed it!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc