Where is it? 07/05/08

Post your photos from around Kintyre. Scenery, events, personal, people, wildlife etc

Where is it? 07/05/08

Postby Buzz Lightyear » Wed May 07, 2008 10:15 pm

roght since the first one was solved and i solved it, i'll post the next one.

Where is this?

To infinity & beyond, & even at that do one!!!
Buzz Lightyear
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Where is it?

Postby jdcarra » Wed May 07, 2008 11:43 pm

As the pic shows, Bord A Dubh at the top end of the Lussa Loch, stopping place for a wee cup on our charity walk for SFR last year.

Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Wed May 07, 2008 11:52 pm

is it now in a state of ruin? spent a few great weekends there late 70s, early 80s...would be a shame if its not still in use
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Wed May 07, 2008 11:53 pm

I actually knew that..hehe, didn't know how to spell it, so didn't hazard to try. Only ever seen it once, when i was there with the BB's.. don't have a clue when.

How many years has it been left empty then? and who owns it?
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jdcarra » Thu May 08, 2008 12:01 am

daftdog wrote:I actually knew that..hehe, didn't know how to spell it, so didn't hazard to try. Only ever seen it once, when i was there with the BB's.. don't have a clue when.

How many years has it been left empty then? and who owns it?

Not sure who owns it, but could still be a usefull stopping bothy for walkers on the Kintyre Way. A bit of work would keep it going for years yet. Got some pics of inside, will post later.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Buzz Lightyear » Thu May 08, 2008 12:28 am

JD your right i thought the same last night when i was there, surely this would be of use to the Kintyre way people.

It was very disappointing to see the building in the state it was in. I, probably like many other locally spent time there over a summer with the BB's....many many moons ago.

i never took any photos from the inside, but i think if some money was spent it would last a few years yet, even as a simple bothy, not sure if the rotary still have the rights to it, certainly mentions them on the plaque in the picture below.

To infinity & beyond, & even at that do one!!!
Buzz Lightyear
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Thu May 08, 2008 1:05 am

The plaque says 1974-2000. I remember when it opened. Don't know much about the place, but was it used up until 2000?

Has the place fallen into this state of disrepair in the space of eight years?

Why was this allowed to happen?

It demonstrates the meaning of the saying "a stitch in time saves nine".
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Thu May 08, 2008 9:23 am

Cheers JD for the info. Hopefully its bought and repaired by someone soon. Would be sad to see it used just as a bothy, so hopefully if it is restored, the new owner could replace the "shed" with a good shelter for walkers.

Great pics Buzz, brings back memories of being there with the BB's. I remember the Cairn and the reason for it now.

Strange feeling seeing it in that state, as i only remember ever being there once with the BB's.

Hope to see some pictures with it looking a lot better in the not to distant future.

Emdee, i suspect it will have been allowed to close and fall into disrepair for two reasons..
1. Money
2. Youth groups no longer using such places. My two sons have been in the BB's for 6 years between them and not a trip have they had the chance to go on :( , which is sad, as i have very fond memories of going to Bordadhu, Blackwaterfoot, Arran and (Ballygrant i think) Islay .
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Thu May 08, 2008 9:50 am

daftdog wrote: Youth groups no longer using such places. My two sons have been in the BB's for 6 years between them and not a trip have they had the chance to go on :( , which is sad, as i have very fond memories of going to Bordadhu, Blackwaterfoot, Arran and (Ballygrant i think) Islay .

Is there any good reason why youth groups do not go on trips like this now?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Thu May 08, 2008 1:26 pm

EMDEE wrote:Is there any good reason why youth groups do not go on trips like this now?

No idea, but will ask (if i remember) at the annual inspection tomorrow night, why the group my boys are in, haven't had any trips like this.

Maybe there are fewer groups nowadays, as the playstation generation are not interested in joining BB's, Scouts, Army cadets, Sea cadets etc, i don't know.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Thu May 08, 2008 11:46 pm

jdcarra wrote:As the pic shows, Bord A Dubh at the top end of the Lussa Loch, stopping place for a wee cup on our charity walk for SFR last year.

I remember this place from going on a Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award Expedition in the 70s!!!!!! What memories! :D

EMDEE wrote:Is there any good reason why youth groups do not go on trips like this now?

I would hazard a guess that the risk assessment process is too daunting. I'm reluctant to take school trips because of the threat of legislation if anything goes wrong - we don't allow 'accidents' now! When I help out at the local Brownie pack it's the same story. Extremely sad but an indictment of our ambulance-chasing society. :(
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Fri May 09, 2008 12:23 am

Ship called Dignity wrote:I wonder if the Mods should split this and it should be a new Where is it for each individual photo as quite a bit of discussion ensues on each which is excellent. 8)

Thoughts?

I would agree with you on that as I have some more pics to post on Bordadubh and would clash with new postings.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Where is it? 07/05/08

Postby petewick » Sat May 10, 2008 11:16 am

My grt grt Uncle Malcolm MacmIllan was the last shepherd to live in Bordadubh until they
flooded the Lussa meadow for the hydro scheme in 1947.
Spent many happy days with the Sea Cadets in the 80's.
Unfortunately the place became under used and when they cut the roads in for the forestry vehicles, this became accesable
for car owning thugs to vandalise the place.
It was convened as I remember by the Kintyre Outdoors Commitee.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Where is it? 07/05/08

Postby Ross » Mon May 19, 2008 7:29 pm

Spent alot of time around that part of the world when i was a kid, up with the sea cadets. Even helped to build the assault coarse in the ajoining field.
I think its harder for youth organistions to get out and do these sort of things now due to the amount of red tape and legislation that are involved with taking kids out into the country, which is a real shame as i used to love clambering all over the hills of kintyre
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Photos from around Kintyre