Looking for John McEachern !

If visiting the site just say a general hello and leave as much information as you like! Introduce yourself or announce your news - wish someone a Happy Birthday etc! You can also leave messages here if you are wishing to trace friends.

Looking for John McEachern !

Postby dgraves » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:33 am

Dear Mr. John,
I am looking for the John McEachern I met approximately 33 years ago in his Mercantile store in Campbeltown. The lettering above the store contained my grandfather's name (Neill from Texas). I was 19 at the time, when I saw my grandfather's name and walked in the store. My daughter is 24 now, and loves to hear the tale of my meeting Mr. John and whom he said was my cousin Elizabeth. My daughter was in Europe last summer studying with her Law School. She will be back in Europe, and would love to contact the McEacherns in Campbeltown. She is studying International Law at Penn State Dickinson School of Law. Mr. John, if you read this, or someone close to you does, please contact me at : dorian_graves@yahoo.com (underscore)
I would love to hear from you! Dorian
Last edited by dgraves on Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Query

Postby Admin3 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:21 pm

Dorian,

Firstly, thanks for registering and posting. Much appreciated.

Do you know where his shop was?

I don't know of a McEachren's shop in the town now.

Anyone else help here?

Regards

www.visitkintyre.info
Admin
Admin3
Site Admin
Site Admin

mercantile

Postby Jeanette » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:35 am

There was a grocers shop where the dhorlin is now (the new chinese takeaway) The owner was Sandy Mceachran and the shop was eventually run by his two sons Allistair and David. Allistair had two sons called David who is in the merchany navy and Allistair who ilives in Canada. David, Sand'ys other son had one daughter Elaine, who runs the chip van which sits over the esplanade She might be able to help. But then again that might not be the Mceachrans that you are on about. I don't remember anybody else of that name running a shop but you never know. It was along time ago.
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

John McEachern's store

Postby dgraves » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:40 am

Thank you so much for replying! I do not remember the name of the street the store was on, but it was a general store, similar to the one my grandfather had in Texas. The names painted above the store started with John, Duncan, Carl, then ?, and lastly Neill McEachern. That is why I entered. Besides, my grandfather also had brothers named Duncan Eckles and Carl Angus. I asked to speak to Mr. John, as his was the first name on the sign. With my Texas accent, I wasn't about to attempt to pronounce the McEachern name in Scotland! This was 32 or 33 years ago. He asked me who I was, and went directly to an ancient tome that had all of the McEacherns listed. He said, "Neill McEachern, from Texas? With a daughter, Betty Jane? And two grandchildren?" Well, I was stunned, and quite frankly speachless. Mr. John was reading all of this out of that book. He then turned and called out to the back of the store, "Elizabeth, come out and meet your cousin, Dorian". The whole thing was a huge coincidence. Mr. John even said I should stay a week for some member of the clan to arrive so that we could all meet. I have never forgotten. I have recently started to search, as my daughter will be going to Scotland. I am so glad I found this site.
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

mercantile

Postby Jeanette » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:51 am

I am sure someone can help. Would that be around 1972? I'll be in touch tomorrow
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Hi, Jeanette!

Postby dgraves » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:50 am

I haven't been back to Scotland since that time long ago, or I would have tried to contact the McEacherns in Campbeltown before now. The whole episode was so unreal to me at the time. My dad was an avid golfer, and had an appointment to play Inverness, then St. Andrews, so we left that same day. He was Irish, so what can I say? He didn't really believe I could have found relatives on a chance like walking into a store! I do know that the McEacherns I am looking for have an old book of records that Mr. John read from. He said it dated back to the 13th century (which made the whole episode seem more like a fairy tale to me). You have no idea how much I appreciate your efforts, Jeanette. It seems a little unreal to even be talking to someone in Campbeltown! Thanks again. I did buy a beautiful replica of the Campbeltown Cross while I was there. It is silver with amethysts. My daughter confiscated it the first time I told her the tale. She always wears it. She also is the only one to have the solid grey eyes of her great grandfather Neill. Talk to you soon. Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Malky » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:06 pm

Hi Dorian,

Just been looking at the VisitGrandJunction website :) :)

I had no idea Colorado was a wine producing area and Grand Junction the centre of it. 8) I've always had a hankering to visit Colorado and as a big fan of wine (well all alcohol really) this is an added incentive to visit. :lol: :lol:

I've been to Texas a few times which was nice, but the scenery in Colorado looks amazing 8) Especially the Colorado National Monument which looks awesome :D 8)

You've also got golf courses I can damage :wink: :lol:

By the way, you say your daughter is coming to Scotland. Will she visit Campbeltown?

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Sort of new to Grand Junction!

Postby dgraves » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:26 pm

Hi, Malky-
I've been in Grand Junction about 5 months. The Monument and Grand Mesa are awesome. If you like skiing, Powder Horn is up on the Grand Mesa. The golf couses are just now turning green and beautiful. It was a long winter. This is high desert even though the town is in a valley. They tell me the wine festivals in the summer are something not to miss!

Moved here from Farmington, New Mexico. We lived there 18 years and it is 4 hrs over the Rocky Mountains to the south. We were originally from Texas, but haven't lived there in forever.

Shauna (my daughter) has one more year of law school to go for her JD (Doctorate of Jurisprudence) Don't know if its the same in Scotland. Then she has to take the Bar Exam. She got her degree in Political Science and History from UNM (University of New Mexico) in Albuquerque. Law school here is three years grad school. Anyway, she is planning on going to Scotland the summer of 2006 after graduation. It has always been her dream to go to Campbeltown. It would be her first destination.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

updat

Postby bubbly jock » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:28 pm

A bit of info on the Mceachrans.

Many many years ago the McEachran clan were returning from the festival of Pans at Machrihanish. On their way home through a snow storm they were attacked by a barbarous crowd at Stewarton village. :evil: :twisted:

Despite the McEachrans lack of armour and weapons the barbarians were repelled by a barrage of snowballs filled with stones.

Being a nomadic clan they settled in Stewarton and it remained a stronghold of the McEachrans for many generations.

These particiular clan members involved in the ambush were known as the Snabaas (snowballs) The clan crest was a round white ball surrounded by the letters "hailstanes"

It is only recently that the clan presence in the area has melted.

bubbly
bubbly jock

the Snabaas

Postby dgraves » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:32 am

Ever been to Blarney Castle in County of Cork, Bubbly? I have- The two big young Irish men that held onto my shins while I dangled upside down in the castle ruin tower, swinging back & forth, puckering up to kiss the darn stone, assured me that I would be protected for life against blarney high jinks. Mind you, I may have been a little more naive at 20. :lol: But kiss it I did! Said they wouldn't haul me back up until the deed was done.

Hey, I'm always up for a good tale!

I will take your advise to heart about the spurs, though- Sounds a might prickly!!
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: updat

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:47 am

bubbly jock wrote:A bit of info on the Mceachrans.

Many many years ago the McEachran clan were returning from the festival of Pans at Machrihanish. On their way home through a snow storm they were attacked by a barbarous crowd at Stewarton village. :evil: :twisted:

Despite the McEachrans lack of armour and weapons the barbarians were repelled by a barrage of snowballs filled with stones.

Being a nomadic clan they settled in Stewarton and it remained a stronghold of the McEachrans for many generations.

These particiular clan members involved in the ambush were known as the Snabaas (snowballs) The clan crest was a round white ball surrounded by the letters "hailstanes"

It is only recently that the clan presence in the area has melted.

bubbly

I meant to say Bubbly - what a wonderful bit of history! :lol: :lol:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

It is only recently that the clan presence in the area has..

Postby dgraves » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:36 pm

It is a great tale, Bubbly! You had me believing 'hook, line and sinker' ...until the last line. Every great tale is rooted in some truth :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

moved

Postby bubbly jock » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:39 pm

Dorian I have moved the answer to chit chat and banter 8)

bubbly
bubbly jock

McEachern

Postby dgraves » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:32 pm

I was going through some old memorabilia belonging to my Grandmother McEachern and came across a book I had brought to her from my trip to Campbeltown. It is dated 1974, so I must have been there then instead of 1973. It is KINTYRE by Alasdair Carmichael.

In the volume it recounts Archibald MacEachern's return to Campbeltown from Africa and establishing a shipbuilding yard at the Trench in the 1870's. This was operational until 1922.

I must have met the last of the McEacherns before they all left town. Has anyone heard of that shipyard?[/b]
Last edited by dgraves on Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

McEacherns

Postby Jeanette » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:07 pm

Dorian

At the head of peir in Campbeltown there is a Celtic Cross which dates from 1380
The inscription is very worn but readable. The translation is:-

This is the cross of Sir Ivor MacEachern,
sometime of Kilkivan, and of his son,
Sir Andrew, parson of Kilchoman,
who caused it to be made.

It is thought that the cross was moved from Kilkivan into the town when it became a burgh in 1609. The Andrew MacEachren who set it up was promoted from Kilkivan (four miles from Campbeltown) to serve as parson at Kilchoman on the Isle of Islay off the West Coast of Scotland before 1376 and was dispossed of that post in 1382

Above the inscription are three empty spaces on the cross face. Areas mutilated by zealous Protestant reformers at the time of the Reformation. It is believed that the cross was carved on the Isle of Iona. There is a lot more to be said about the cross but that is just to give you the geest of it and to allow for anybody to add to or correct what I have said.

The shipyard that you mention was operational from 1877 to 1922 and re -opened in December 1968 and closed again in 1997. The buildings were all dismantled about two years ago. The trench Point is next door to where I live.

There is a lot of history surrounding both the Shipyard and the Cross which you could probably discover for yourself when you visit. I can't find any reference to Archiebald Maceachran. If I do I will let you know.

Jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Introductions, Say Hello, Announcements or trace friends!