George Galloway

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

George Galloway

Postby Tom B » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:44 pm

George Galloway is coming along to do a talk in Strathaven next week. Any good questions to ask him......?!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:33 am

George is a first-class orator. I have always enjoyed observing how he delivers the point he is making. He is well worth going to hear - thought-provoking debate, whether or not you agree with what he says.

What is the purpose of the Strathaven visit? Invitation from any particular group?
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sweltered » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:58 am

Have to agree with you, George is very impressive when at full tilt. I saw a clip of him on Youtube a couple of months ago, when he destroyed some hapless hack on Sky news. Wonderful!
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:17 pm

Mary G wrote:
What is the purpose of the Strathaven visit? Invitation from any particular group?

Mary, one of the local churches is really good at getting good speakers, last year Donald Findlay. They're raising money for the church and other 'good causes' - £8 a ticket, and then they'll pass the collection plate round at the interval - they don't miss a trick!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:39 pm

Ask him if he will come and start the MOK 2007 run :lol:

and present the prizes at the end....he could salute the winners indeg indegafattab
indigafattabil...............grit and determination....... :wink:

He could bring Rula Lenska with him and maybe Tommy Sheridan, he can fair orate an a' ..........they would get the punters out
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:05 am

Or you could ask him about proportional representation ...! Might sound a bit dry, but George has been a proponent of that for a long time - good to hear him on the topic.

On second thoughts, maybe ask him if he will run in the 10k next year!

Enjoy that night - not to be missed. When is it?
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby DMS Graphics » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:11 am

I think Mr Galloway will only run if He gets 10K
DMS Graphics
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Tom B » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:16 am

Mary G wrote:
Enjoy that night - not to be missed. When is it?

Friday 1st December - still tickets available....
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DMS Graphics » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:22 am

Ask him if He has applied for the hangmans job for his old buddy
DMS Graphics
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Tom B » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:30 am

DMS Graphics wrote:Ask him if He has applied for the hangmans job for his old buddy

I don't think he would describe it like that...

"I have had two meetings with Saddam Hussein, once in 1994 and once in August of 2002. By no stretch of the English language can that be described as "many meetings" with Saddam Hussein.

"As a matter of fact, I have met Saddam Hussein exactly the same number of times as Donald Rumsfeld met him. The difference is Donald Rumsfeld met him to sell him guns and to give him maps the better to target those guns. I met him to try and bring about an end to sanctions, suffering and war, and on the second of the two occasions, I met him to try and persuade him to let Dr Hans Blix and the United Nations weapons inspectors back into the country - a rather better use of two meetings with Saddam Hussein than your own Secretary of State for Defense made of his.

"I was an opponent of Saddam Hussein when British and Americans governments and businessmen were selling him guns and gas. I used to demonstrate outside the Iraqi embassy when British and American officials were going in and doing commerce.

"You will see from the official parliamentary record, Hansard, from the 15th March 1990 onwards, voluminous evidence that I have a rather better record of opposition to Saddam Hussein than you do and than any other member of the British or American governments do.
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:11 am

one of the most impressive displays I've ever heard, George took them to bits thant day!
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:25 am

We do expect those sorts of displays from our politicians. And quite right too. Westminster's record in attracting - and producing - great communicators is among the best in the world, in my view.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:08 am

I wish we had a few like him. Sharp and quick.. swoosh, swoosh, stab, done.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby judge roy bean » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:20 pm

wish he wis in the scottish parly on the correct bench of course fightin for freedom oh his ain country.

i'm thinkin of applying for the job oh mary galbraiths speech writer, wot do you think my chances are?

she was in my english class at school, so she knows i can write!!!

typical politician tho, she promised us photos after the school reunion, and where are they?

4years and not a snap, nothing nada. neit, bugger all, hee haw, typical, while every other bugger has their coupon in the big C what did we get? not a lot, a cauld buffet and a minataur(surely no spelt right?) tho some oh the wimmin were a bit rough lookin, meaning the wans that moved away frae the toon, no the wans still here(think i saved myself there)

congratulations anyway mary, you've as much chance of getting my vote as donal kelly has
judge roy bean
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:57 pm

judge roy bean wrote: some oh the wimmin were a bit rough lookin, meaning the wans that moved away frae the toon, no the wans still here(think i saved myself there)

Naw yi didny , Mary will think you mean her and she will be after you, Mary will shoot them cowboy boots off yi.

And Mary wasn't looking all that rough in the Courier, she was lookin' mighty fine!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Current Affairs