german plane attacks royal hotel

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

german plane attacks royal hotel

Postby Charlie » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:32 pm

what was the story about the german plane that offloaded some munitions in main street and the royal hotel in ww2, killing someone in main street?
Charlie
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby gizmo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:14 pm

I have asked loads of people about this over the years, and just about everyone starts the story with '' I was just coming out of the pictures when I saw the plane dropping its bomb and I dived under a lorry to hide'' that lorry must have been enormous....
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Trapper » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:37 pm

There were two attacks on campbeltown during ww2 If my memory of my history class serves me correctly. one which dropped bombs along at the trench point and one which dropped bombs in the town centre. The bomb that hit the royal was intende for the navy boats in the harbour but missed. The plane then strafed kinloch loch road with machine gun fire killing one person. My history teacher told me that you can stilll see the marks off the bullets on the facade of the old warehouse a the end of kinloch street and there are marks there but whether they are from machine gun fire or not I don't know! There was also a german spy caught in the town during WW2.
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gizmo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:24 pm

I believe the attack along the trench point dropped a landmine which destroyed a house there, the bomb which hit the Royal apparently bounced off the quay and exploded in the hotel. There are still bullet holes visable on the Main St side of the Royal as well. Didnt know anything about the spy captured in the town though, anyone else heard anything about this.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:56 am

gizmo wrote:I believe the attack along the trench point dropped a landmine which destroyed a house there, the bomb which hit the Royal apparently bounced off the quay and exploded in the hotel. There are still bullet holes visable on the Main St side of the Royal as well. Didnt know anything about the spy captured in the town though, anyone else heard anything about this.

Captured after stealing a rowing boat in Southend, trying to make his way to Ireland, the story's in one of Angus MacVicar's books.

petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:48 pm

I thought we had a photo of the bombed Royal Hotel on the Campbeltown Loch website but it's actually its neighbour the Victoria Hall.

See here.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Buzz Lightyear » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:39 am

Maybe the royal hotel should be bombed now. nobody seems to care about it anyway, & the state that it is in.....it would probably be the best thing for it!
Buzz Lightyear
Active Poster
Active Poster

Ahah!

Postby Annie » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:42 pm

I saw lots of lights on and people moochering aboot in there last night!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Ahah!

Postby petewick » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:51 pm

Annie wrote:I saw lots of lights on and people moochering aboot in there last night!

Probably some Germans planting explosives trying to finish the job off.

petewick
KGB
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby alan k » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:33 pm

Wouldnr be a bad thing !
COME ON YE SAINTS ( ST JOHNSTONE)
alan k
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: german plane attacks royal hotel

Postby petewick » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Read recently that the writer Hamish Henderson who was
hicking in Kintyre at the time was apprehended by the
police under suspicion of being the spy.
Also the Argyll hotel in Belochantuy was hit by German
bomber cannon fire just prior to the attack on the town.
Its thought that the aircrew fired a burst of rounds
as practise to make sure the cannon was functioning.
KGB
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: german plane attacks royal hotel

Postby bill » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:22 pm

bill wrote:Was reading "the secret Scotland site" and was surprised to find that there was five fatalities during the bombing of The Royal Hotel.............................

"On November 6, 1940, bombing resulted in serious damage to the town's Royal Hotel and Victoria Hall. Two casualties have been reported: Alexander Blue, a lorry driver, was killed in the raid, and Thomas Hunter, an agricultural adviser, died in hospital the following day.

Naval fatalities of the November 6 raid
Unreported at the time, it has been found by others that three ordinary seamen posted to HMS Nimrod also lost their lives during the Campbeltown raid:

Richard Howard Cookson
Michael Holmes
Harry Fitton

The journal of the medical officer recorded the circumstances of the men's deaths as follows:
These three rating were in company just outside the Victoria Hall on 6.11.1940 when a 500 lb aerial bomb was dropped close beside them from a low altitude. All were killed instantaneously. Their injuries were severe. one had most of his cranium blown away and the other two had both lower limbs blown off."

I posted this some time back on another thread on the same subject.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion