The name "Lynn" in Campbelltown

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

The name "Lynn" in Campbelltown

Postby Fergaltoo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:17 pm

Hello,
In 1947 my late father and his pal from Cushendall, Co Antrim cycled via Glasgow to Gigha and Campbelltown. I've been given a photo of him and his pal outside a premises with the name Lynn above the door and the owner a Mr Lynn standing outside. If anyone knew where these premises are or anything about the business I'd be very grateful. They went to Gigha to meet a man who found and replied to a message in a bottle he sent some years earlier. When they reached Gigha the man was away! Til I'm next over your way.
Fergal too..
Fergaltoo
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Lynn

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:19 pm

Fergal,

I've still to ask around about this - I'll have to mention to the older ones on the office etc! :wink:

Out of interest - when was the message in the bottle sent and when was it found in Gigha?

Interesting story btw.
Last edited by Ship called Dignity on Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Jeanette » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Hello
The Lynn Hotel was owned by Alex Lynn and his wife It was in Shore street and was where the bar called whisky macs is now I am not sure when it was demolished but I believe it would be around the late fifties early sixties.
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Fergaltoo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:58 pm

Thank you Davie and Jeanette,
I'm still trying to establish when the bottle was sent and when it was found in Gigha. When I am next over I'll have a look for the site of the old hotel. When I get a chance I'll get a copy of the photos to you for interest. Its been fascinating trying to piece this story together. I'll try the Gigha site to see if anyone recalls this but its a while ago now and from several; visits to Gigha in recent years nobody could shed any light on the story.
Fergaltoo
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Jeanette » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:44 am

Feargal

Thanks for the photo of the hotel. I only remember it vaguely. The lady who owned it was called Kate Lynn. Her own name was McKerral and she ran the soup kitchen in the Christian Institute during the war. The hotel was set back from the road in Shore Street and was on the site of where Whisky Macs is now.

Hope you manage over to Gigha when you are here and maybe we will have found out more about that side of your fathers visit.

Jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby petewick » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:27 am

There are still some of the old exterior walls standing out the back.
Just go in and ask the big chap and I'm sure he'll show you.

petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:42 pm

Catherine has a photograph of one of her older sisters wedding party(1951),they are standing outside the front door of the Lynn Hotel.

Either side of the door were tall(approx 3ftor4ft)plant holders with an embossed branch design.They were always stood there,like two sentinels.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby JEM » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:33 pm

I'd never heard of this hotel. very interesting. Thanks for that, folks.
JEM
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Jeanette » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:13 pm

Bill

Would it be possible to see the photo?. Kate Lynn was my mothers aunt and I remember visiting there as a child.

I remember something outside the door my cousin says they were lions?? Your photo could prove her memory a bit wonky

jeanette
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: The name "Lynn" in Campbelltown

Postby lynnfamily » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Hello, I have just come across this post. Kate Lynn was my great grandmother and her maiden name was Morrison. Her mothers name was Catherine McKerral. Kate Lynn was married to Hugh Lynn and they owned the Lynn Hotel. They had two sins John Lynn my grandfather and Alexander Lynn. The navy took over the hotel during the war to house their officers. Jeanette can you please let me know who your parents are as I presume you will be related to my mum and aunt. I look forward to hearing from you. Nicola
lynnfamily
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby lynnfamily » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:24 am

I should have said Kate was also Catherine. Nicola
lynnfamily
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby lynnfamily » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 am

Fergaltoo wrote:Hello,
In 1947 my late father and his pal from Cushendall, Co Antrim cycled via Glasgow to Gigha and Campbelltown. I've been given a photo of him and his pal outside a premises with the name Lynn above the door and the owner a Mr Lynn standing outside. If anyone knew where these premises are or anything about the business I'd be very grateful. They went to Gigha to meet a man who found and replied to a message in a bottle he sent some years earlier. When they reached Gigha the man was away! Til I'm next over your way.
Fergal too..

Hello, the hotel was my great grandmothers. It would be wonderful to see the photograph as I have started researching my family tree. We have a couple photos of family outside the hotel. Nicola :) :)
lynnfamily
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby gizmo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Would it be possible to post the photos, yours as well Bill.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby lynnfamily » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Hello again. I am not sure if this post was still active when I posted.
Would anyone have any photos of the hotel while the navy were there during ww2?

Has anyone any memories of Catherine running the soup kitchen? I knew about that. Thanks Nicola
lynnfamily
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby lynnfamily » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Good evening. I am hoping someone will see this post.

Catherine Lynn was my great great grandmother. I would love to see some photographs. Please see my previous post.

Thank you. Nicola
lynnfamily
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Next

Return to General Chit Chat