Adding images to a post

For help regarding the message board and any other computer related matters you may have!

Adding images to a post

Postby Malky » Wed May 31, 2006 11:21 pm

We get asked this question fairly often so I thought I'd write this tutorial. It's a bit long-winded so I suggest printing this out before you start.

First, images need to be hosted somewhere on the Internet and then linked to, as they can't be uploaded directly to the forum. To accomplish this, there are a number of image hosting sites on the Internet but most people on this forum use Photobucket to store their pics on.

You will need to register an account with Photobucket (it's free) so go to http://www.photobucket.com and click the register now button. Choose your username and fill out the form.

Once you have an account you can log in and you will be taken to your default photo album.

Assuming you already have an image on your computer, you can now upload it to Photobucket. Note that Photobucket has a limit on the file size of images so if your image is larger than 1Mb it will be automatically resized. Click on the Browse button and in the box that opens up, navigate to where the file is currently stored on your computer. Click open.

Click Submit and the photo will be uploaded to Photobucket. If you are on dial-up this may take a few moments.

When successfully uploaded, a thumbnail of your image will be displayed at the bottom of the Photobucket webpage.

Notice that below the image are 3 rectangular boxes named Url, Tag and Img. Click in the Img box and the text there should turn blue. Now use the right mouse button to click on the blue highlighted text and from the popup menu that appears choose Copy.

Now you need to open a new browser window and navigate to the kintyre forum. Write your message and at the point in the message where you wish the image to appear (probably on a new line) right click and from the popup menu choose paste. This places the link to your photo into the message.

At this point it is worth clicking the preview button to see how the photo looks. If it is too large, and many are as modern digital cameras take very large photos, switch to the Photobucket browser window where you will be able to resize the picture using the Edit button that is just above the image. It's best not to resize the image smaller too much as you cannot resize it larger if you make it too small. Try 75% of the original each time till you are happy. Check how it looks after each resize by switching to the forum window and clicking the refresh button.

When you have successsfully resized your photo to fit onto the forum, you can finally submit your message.

Important: Remember that for your photo to show up on the forum you should not delete it from Photobucket.

Also, if your photo does not show in the forum and you just see the link to it instead, ensure the Disable BBCode in this post option is NOT ticked (this is in the options section above the Submit button).

Malky
Last edited by Malky on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:16 am

ALso don't hotlink straight to sites that already have the image. That's naughty!
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:23 am

It is? I do that all the time. Is that bad? I always thought it was obvious which belonged to the posters and which were the ones they found on the net.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:37 am

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:It is? I do that all the time. Is that bad? I always thought it was obvious which belonged to the posters and which were the ones they found on the net.

Well you shouldn't do it because it leaches bandwidth which is bad.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Surfbored » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:52 am

ehehehehehe :D

ffs, this is the internet, if anything on it was ethical, legal or whatever, the one thing you wouldnt find on it is me

If anyone was particuarly fussed about people hotlinking to their images they'd do something about it, right?

Agreed, maybe back in the day things like bandwidth were an issue, but not now.

Also, I hardly think Kintyre Forum is up ranking with BBC or CNN for page impressions, so linking to a jpg or whatever isn't exactly going to DDoS a site or grind the web to a halt.
Surfbored
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:46 am

Well, I like ethical, I usually hang with legal, but admittedly the whatever is debatable... :lol:
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:58 am

I use Picasa, and cannot get the IMG feature to work ...

There are two options:

"Paste link in email or IM" which then has a normal http:// address

or

"Paste HTML to embed in website" which has about ten lines of html code.

I used the second one, and got a load of rubbish code when I previewed the message. Any suggestions, besides using photobucket?

Ta
M
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Adding images to a post

Postby Govangirl » Tue May 06, 2008 4:57 pm

Can someone tell me how to make a link to Youtube please? I did it before but I thought there was a wee button for it? I just can't remember!!!!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Beachcomber » Tue May 06, 2008 6:45 pm

Govangirl wrote:Can someone tell me how to make a link to Youtube please? I did it before but I thought there was a wee button for it? I just can't remember!!!!

I think it was something along the lines of [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8qkmXZAYoU[/youtube]

If I remember correctly, Malky had to manually modify the forum software to support YouTube links. Maybe he hasn't had time to do it to the new version yet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Tue May 06, 2008 6:52 pm

Yes, I manually added the YouTube tags before for phpBB2. I would need to add a custom BB code for YouTube again. I'll get to it at some point. In the meantime you'll just have to link with the url tag.

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Technical Support