McLean/Maclean from Ireland

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Re: McLean/Maclean from Ireland

Postby calmac » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:17 am

I am glad that makes some sense.

We definitely have a Flora McConachy otherwise known as Flora Duncan of Killean.
Our lines may yet prove to be connected in some way. I think the 1792 census might suggest something, but don't have it to hand.

Unless part of the 1779 censns I downloaded is missing, it is not very helpful for Kintyre.

Duncanson sounds like another way of saying MacDuncan or McConachy.

Only slightly related, I recently found a Duncan Mclean of about the right age in 1792 censns for Killean and need to check him out. Coming 'from Ireland' may not be the same a s being born there.
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:19 am

lindaf wrote:Hi Calmac
You may recall various correspondence we've had as I also have a McConachy line, but not it seems the same line as yours.
You ask above, was Duncan a variation on McConachy.
Interestingly I have the following.
My Gt Gt Gt Grandmother Catherine McConachy [b. 1798 Lossit Mill, father Alexander] had 3 daughters by Hector McNaughton one being Catherine b. 1836 who married Donald McArthur a baker in Campbeltown.
Catherine and Donald had several children of whom Archibald and Marion were both given the middle name of Duncanson.
It could of course be that Donald had a Duncan in his family, but I've not as yet been able to track his family.
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:20 am

The gaelic form of Duncan is Donnchadh. I can see how this could become Conachy through time?
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby lindaf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi Calmac
After spending another 2 weeks in Campbeltown this June, I have now completed [maybe!] writing up [12 pages] all that I have discovered about my Alexander McConachy b. 1772 Kilkivan, his parents and earlier, his siblings and his children. I am very happy to send this as a PDF to anyone who feel it might help with their own searches.
If you send me a message with your e.mail address I will forward it to you.
Linda
lindaf
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby calmac » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:45 pm

Following some correspondence on another forum I am now unsure about the Culfeightrin connection, but there is just a possible connection with Skerry and/or Glenravel. I would be interested to hear from any Kintyre McMacLeans with Irish connections...
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Previous

Return to Kintyre Genealogy