Dugald McConachy family-looking for info

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Dugald McConachy family-looking for info

Postby chickaDee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi,

I’m looking for info about my 3xgreat grandfather Dugald McConachy and his wife Catherine Martin. They were both born in Campbeltown but we don’t have any info beyond that. Here’s what I do know about them:

Dugald McConachy born Jan.11, 1803; died Sept 11, 1867...both in Campbeltown
Catherine Martin born born either in 1798 or 1803; died March 27, 1882...both in Campbeltown

Their children were all born in the Campbeltown area and were:

Jean McConachy b. Jan 14, 1825/d. ?
Flora McConachy b.1826/ d. Sept. 22, 1900 in Campbeltown/ married to John McIntyre on Dec 30, 1851
Agness McConachy b. July 1, 1829/d. Sept. 7, 1905 in Bruce County, Ontario, Canada
Catherine McConachy b. Nov. 14, 1831/d Feb 19, 1919 in Chelsea County, Ontario, Canada
Mary McConachy b. 1833/d. May 2, 1903 in Campbeltown/ married John Kelly Feb 3, 1863
Malcolm McConachy (my 2xgreat grandfather) b. March 4, 1834/d. August 26, 1910 Bruce County, Ontario, Canada
Dugald McConachy b. Feb 26, 1836/d. ?

Dugald and Catherine were married in Feb5, 1834 in Killean&Kilchenzie
Dugald worked as an agricultural labourer
Dugald’s parents may have been Malcolm McConachy and Mary McMillan
Catherine’s parents may have been John Martin and Mary Mattison

I’d love to hear from anyone who may know more about my Scottish family.
chickaDee
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Dugald McConachy family-looking for info

Postby David Jackson » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:55 am

Hi!!

I am also descended from the same family. My ancestor was Mary McConnachy who was born in 1756. What I learned about them was:

The Name McConochy

The maiden name of Helen Stewart's mother—after whom Mary McDonald was named—was Mary McConochy. The family name McConochy is a variant of the Scots and Irish name McDonagh, being an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Mac. Donnchaidh (Scot.) or Mac. Donnchadha (Ir.), the patronymic from the given name Donnchach (Donohue; Duncan). It is an ancient Gaelic family name in Kintyre (with variants), and Ian Stewart in his article "The Evolution of Gaelic Surnames in Kintyre," The Kintyre Magazine, no. 24, p. 27, has the following to say about it:

Andrew McKerral in "Kintyre in the Seventeenth Century" suggests that certain names including ... McConnachie came with the Campbells and that in particular Campbell of Inverawe brought the name McConnachie when he got a lease of 52 merklands of the forfeited Largie estates in 1652. He was known as the MacConachie.
The list of 1636 is the first that actually shows "the poor people that labouris the ground" as distinct from tacksmen. It contains some five hundred names and only one Campbell. There are, however, a number of the names [including] Mcconachie and Mcdonachie.
David Jackson
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby WattN » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi David Jackson,

I am descended from a Mary McConnachie of Kintyre. My Mary married a Henry Wilson and I am related through her daughter Margaret Wilson born in Saddell area (Dippen). Mary would have been born around 1756.
Is this the same Mary, do you think?
Best wishes
Norma
WattN
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby calmac » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Does anyone's family tree have MacConachy's in Killean in the 18/19th Century?
calmac
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Kintyre Genealogy