O'DRAIN

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Re: O'DRAIN

Postby Iain » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi Kay ! I don't have a clue if the text below is relative to your family..., you to do the research ! For myself, it has been an interesting find as I have a Campbeltown Hawthorn in my family. And although I stand to be corrected..., I'm wondering if I've not seen reference to a certain "O'Drain's Land" somewhere. ("Land" referring to a building) Could be mistaken !
The following info comes from "Kintyre... The Hidden Past" by Angus Martin. (1984) A must; to buy.

"HAWTHORN. Probably from Irish Ô Dreâin - a family first in co. Roscommon, but later, by enforced migration, found in Ulster with the anglicised forms Adrain, o Drean and Drean. Hawthorn appears to have been a Kintyre pseudo-translation, droigheann in Gaelic being 'hawthorn'. Neither (O)Drain nor Hawthorn survives in Kintyre.
John odrain in Knockmurran (southend) in 1797; John, son of Duncan o’Drain and Mary McConochy, born 12.2.1799; Flora Drain, widow (80), at New Orleans in 1851, with her son Duncan (43), a farmer of 15 acres, and a l2-year-old servant, Marion McCallum; Catherine Drain or Hawthorn, mother of poor relief applicant Isabella McKeich, who was born 10.12.1833 in Campbeltown; Neil Hawthorn, rope-maker, Campbeltown, son of Donald Hawthorn, sailor and Catherine McEachran, died 28.9.1856 aged 74."
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 2Strangers7 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi, Ian!

Thanks for keeping me in mind and sending me the Post on the O'Drains. I 'm very interested in the information. Wouldn't it be something to find that we are somehow connected? :D I came across the site of a gentleman by the name of Harold Ralston and contacted him about the name O'Drain in Kintyre. He replied that he had found Drains, but no O'Drains. He referenced page 141 in "Kintyre in the 17th Century" by Andrew McKerral stating:
"Under the heading- Highland Personal Names: [ODRAIN; Woulfe derives it from Gaelic <i>drean</i>, meaning wren, but Kintyre family apparently regarded it as from Gaelic <i>droighinn</i>, meaning hawthorn, and took the name of Hawthorn." I have ordered the book from Amazon but at the present it is not available and it is not known if or when it will be. I'm taking your advice and I'm going to order "Kintyre: The Hidden Past" by Angus Martin.

My great-grandparents supposedly came from Antrim, but I never knew if or where in Antrim. A Michael Drain referred me to Randalstown and/or Antrim in County Antrim. (My daughter was there recently and again found Drains, but no O'Drains.) Also, on an Ancestry site, there was a gentleman who mentioned that the name "O'Drain" was first recorded in the Annals of Connacht for 1246 when the family was defeated by the coalition of Normans and MacDermots (MacDiarmaida). They had been the hereditary custodians of the Monastery at Boyle in County Roscommon. He also indicated that the name was originally UaDreain.

On the whole, it seems we have found corroborative information about the names O'Drain and Hawthorn and perhaps Wren. If you ever find that there is such a place as "O'Drain's Land" I would appreciate hearing where it is. I did hear of an "O'Drain's Bay" somewhere in Antrim, but could never find it on the map. Keep in touch, Ian.

Kay O'Drain Devlin
Last edited by 2Strangers7 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
2Strangers7
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Briandrain » Mon May 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi I came across your post and notice your were looking for info on the origins of the surname Drain here is some info I found thro some research first of all the O in the surname O'Drain comes from the Irish for son of as in scotland Mc means the same The surname origins date back to France at the time of the Huguenots were being persecuted in 1680s for being protestants look up wiki any how the name Drain comes from French (De meaning from or of and Raine being in france) Drain as in John De Raine John (of) Raine . They fled France from persecution to Ireland and helped bring the linen trade to Ireland now the name thro the years when John etc was asked his name he would say John De Raine which thro the years became DRAIN try saying Deraine in a Irish accent Pretty soon came William of Orange came to the Battlee of the Boyne in 1690 and the Religious Story between Protestants and Catholics started fast forward couple hundred years poverty famine and a new world some Drains emigrated to Canada, USA and some went across the sea to Scotland Glasgow to the protestant area of Bridgeton Now this is just a quick history so if some dates are not exact do a bit of research hope this helps so if your a Drain or O Drain your descendants originate from France then Irish then Scottish or American or Canadian etc and I think when went to Ireland we were protesting against The Vatican rule look up your history records the Huguenots Hope this helps
Briandrain
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:31 pm

Thanks Brian... Welcome to the Kintyre forum.

Quite interesting; but I'll leave Kay to answer. For me, the O'Drains are very distant relatives.

Have a nice weekend.
Kind Regards..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 2Strangers7 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:01 am

Ian,

Thanks so much for keeping me in mind when you find/recieve information about the "O'Drain Name." I really do appreciate it more than I can say.

Kay O'Drain Devlin
Last edited by 2Strangers7 on Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2Strangers7
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: O'DRAIN Surname

Postby 2Strangers7 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Brian,

Just wanted to let you know that Ian sent me the information you sent him regarding the surname "O'Drain." Thank you so much, as this sheds additional information that I did not previously know. I am most appreciative.

Kay O'Drain Devlin
2Strangers7
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Kintyre Genealogy