Mitchell of Carradale/Skipness

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Mitchell of Carradale/Skipness

Postby teach64 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:34 pm

[size=150]Hi, Thanks to those who have helped me with my McMath line. Now I am beginning to search for my 2x great grandmother's family. She was Janet Mitchell before she married Duncan McMath. I believe the following are her family members. Does anyone know anything about this family or descendants/ Also, who Robert's wife may have been? Janet and Duncan had a young son, Robert, when they came to Upper Canada in 1847 but I cannot find a birth for him and am wondering perhaps if he belonged to Janet and not Duncan???
Robert Mitchell - father (crofter)
i. Duncan Mitchell b. 6 April 1811 in Saddell and Skipness Argyll
ii. Robert Michell b. 14 Dec 1812 in Saddell and Skipness
iii. Floury Mitchell b. 14 July 1814 in Saddell and Skipness
iv. Betty Mitchell b. 29 April 1816 in Saddell and Skipness
v. Jenet Mitchel b 26 June 1818 in Saddell and Skpness
- her marriage to Duncan McMath, son of Malcolm, is recorded in both Southend Parish and Saddell Skipness.
vi. Margaret Mitchell b. 22 April 1823 in Saddell and Skpness
teach64
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Mitchell of Carradale/Skipness

Postby Iain » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:03 am

Hi Betty... Welcome to The Kintyre Forum.

I found a marriage between Duncan and Janet... 18 May 1847 in Southend, Argyll.
Duncan was born on the 29th of June 1929 in Campbeltown.

His father Malcolm, born 3 December 1786 in Campbeltown and died on 26th October 1856 in Campbeltown. He married Rose McLean on the 4 July 1820 and I see another marriage when he was 54-years old to Agnes Campbell on the 27th of December 1840.
All his children were with his first wife. (Neil / Archibald / Duncan (1828 - 1828) / Duncan / Rose)

Unfortunately..., nothing much about Robert.

Kind Regards..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby teach64 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi Ian,
Rose McLean and Margaret McLean were sisters and they each married a Malcolm McMath. I first thought that Rose and her Malcolm were related to me, but after some help and direction I discovered that it was Margaret McLean and her Malcolm that are my ggg grandparents. Margaret is buried in old part of cemetery in Campbeltown. Rose and her Malcolm ended up in Glasgow. My gg grandfather, Duncan did in fact marry Janet Mitchell and their marriage banns were found in Southend Parish records and Skipness records. I am attempting to find information on the Mitchells - in the marriage info it says Janet is from
Brackley. It certainly doesn't aid research when two sisters marry a man with the same name!!
teach64
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi Betty...

As you say, that's confusing. Nonetheless, there are quite a few posts here relative to the Mitchells so I'm sure someone will be able to help.

The first of my McArthur family in Campbeltown (1820) has me with a 3xGr Grandmother called Catherin Mitchell b1796 in Glasgow. Don't know much about her parents so I'll be attentive to the others who may be able to help you out. :wink:

Good luck..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy