Football.

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Football.

Postby glassblower » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:35 pm

I am not a football fan but I was asked (by my 10 year old granddaughter) if I would like to go to the first Doncaster Rover friendly match away at Frickly (about 10 miles from Doncaster). The 8th of July and I was stood on the terraces (that's how old a ground it is) with my big winter coat on zipped up with the collar turned up frozen. Home at 10pm to a mug of hot chocolate, where's this "bloo#y global warming" they keep going on about !!!.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Football.

Postby odds » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Blimey, Doncaster Rovers eh !!
I recall going to watch them when my father was stationed at Bawtry, sent there from Machrihanish :(
We used to pay to go in and you could go and stand wherever you wanted to.

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Football.

Postby glassblower » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:28 pm

A lot different now Pete, nice new stadium, they have come a long way since you watched them at the old "Bellvue" ground. The Rovers were in the "Dolldrums" in the 70/80s and the butt of many a joke, such as,

12 people were caught climbing over the fence at the Rovers, the police caught them and made them go back and watch till the end of the game.

A man went to the ticket office mid week and asked for 24 tickets, he asked the ticket man "what times kickoff",
The ticket man replied "what time are you coming"

They are a lot better now and the odd times I have been I have enjoyed it, but I am still not a fan of football, to me they are "over paid fairies" who go down "like a sack of spuds" if anyone goes near them. I much prefer Rugby, a game played by men with "odd shaped balls" !!!!

Ken.
glassblower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to General Chit Chat