Cauldrons/Pans

As title but stay within the bounds of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Cauldrons/Pans

Postby lochend » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:45 pm

When I was a boy visiting the town we would frequently go to Machrihanish for a picnic.The part we went to, my Aunt Magaret and my father referred to as the Cauldrens,or the Pans.What is the origin of these names and are they seperate places or one and the same? Any enlightenement very welcome!
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cauldrons/Pans

Postby EMDEE » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:41 am

The Gauldrons is the area which is the farthest south end of Machrihanish Bay. It is through the gate and along the coast and is a great place to go for a day out and picnic. It is an attractive wee bay and a fine place to spend a day. "Pans" is a more difficult place to locate. The original salt pans where salt was produced commercially for export to Northern Ireland etc were located near the Gauldrons, but the "Pans" as I remember was a general name for the whole area of Machrihanish. For someone of my own vintage I would think that if you were going to the Pans for a day out you would be going to the beach area adjacent to the golf course. Don't think beach days out are quite the same as they were in the 1950s and 60s, but we certainly had great days at Machrihanish then.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks for that EMDEE.Beautiful part of the world. If Machrihanish was located nearer to a bigger centre of population you would struggle to get near it on a sunny day! The same thought used to strike me when we visited Bellochantuy, such a beautiful spot and with that white sand.BTW is that little cave with the spring in it, where people throw in pennies, still accessible?
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bobh » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:03 pm

Me and my wife have just returned from a couple of nights in Machrihanish at the Ugudale hotel this week. In the hotel there was an old painting in our room which said the hotel used to be called the pans hotel and this changed after a fire about a hundred years ago. My wife on reading this thought it was the paris hotel and to be fair she wasn't wearing her glasses. :lol: . We learned a wee bit about the history of the village during our stay and the weather was fantastic. Had a good walk along the beach and our stay was most enjoyable.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:19 pm

Don't know if it's still available, but there is a small book called "Meanders in South Kintyre" written by James McNeill, who was schoolmaster at Drumlemble in the mid 20th Century. It concentrates on the Machrihanish Drumlemble and Laggan area and is a mine of information on the economic social and cultural history of the area, and also the geology of the area. It was first published in 1976 and republished by the Kintyre Antiquarian and Natural History Society in 1997.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:24 pm

The Old Bookshelf in Cross Street may have it in stock.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:41 pm

lochend wrote:Thanks for that EMDEE.Beautiful part of the world. If Machrihanish was located nearer to a bigger centre of population you would struggle to get near it on a sunny day! The same thought used to strike me when we visited Bellochantuy, such a beautiful spot and with that white sand.BTW is that little cave with the spring in it, where people throw in pennies, still accessible?

The only thing about Bellochantuy is the smell when the tide is out.

Can't think of the cave. Where is it?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lochend » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:32 pm

There was/is a cave on the landward side of the road in the village of Bellochantuy.It was very interesting,it was contained a pool of clear water into which visitors threw coins.There were lots of clumps of Monbretia in the area. The last time I went to see it would have been1963/4.Hope it still accessible and has not been 'absorbed' into a private garden! If it is still accessible I would try to see it this summer.
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:35 am

LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:51 pm

I'm sure it was up past the boathouse that there was/is a stream. My dad used to take me there very early in the morning and we would fish for trout. Forget about the niceties of sportsmanship, he would tie small spinners on the end of the line and we'd reel 'em in. Back home, grilled trout for breakfast, very happy days indeed.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tarmmaker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:21 pm

There is a cast iron milepost at the roadside, I think it's just before the golf course, that names Pans as the village.
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Standing Stone

Postby lochend » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:54 pm

Whilst I have your attention,is the standing stone still in evidence? I used to find it walking up Knockscalbert on the way to the lochs to fish.Somewhere up the hill above Dalintober if my memory serves.
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jamier » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:17 am

Lochend i can confirm the standing stone is still there landowners are still the kerr's of Balegreggan .
jamier
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby lochend » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks Jamier.I managed to find it on Google Earth the other day. I have done further research into the cave/wishing well opposite the hotel in Bellochantuy and found an item from this forum from several years ago suggesting that the cave was partially destroyed during blasting to improve the road.What a pity it was quite nice place to visit and make a wish!
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby thomas methvin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:47 am

Interesting , I didn't know that about Machrihanish,,,, Machrihanish beach is a beatiful area ,,, I like to watch the spindrift come off the top of the waves when it is cloudy, cold and the wind is high ,,,, I painted a pic of just that , looking south down the beach with a mild storm ,,,, You are a very luck person to live in such a beatiful place . :D
thomas methvin
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Next

Return to General Chit Chat