Yellow Book

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Postby John S » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:09 pm

In general my impression of the meeting was that it was really just a data gathering exercise - no decisions were made, just views collected, and as such it needed to have a good proportion and cross section of the population represented to be of any value.

My criticism, which I consider to be fairly minor, would be on representation - same old faces - many that don't actually live in the town anyway. As Jeanette said no young people - the very future of our community were not represented. I would recon that the youngest person there was over 35 and of the 80 invited I’d say about 50 attended. On the up side Yellow Book did a good job in a laid back and uncomplicated manner of collection info. There was no tub thumping or bitching and a refreshing moment when a council official pointed out that some of the problems identified were the councils fault, which they needed to address.

The test will be when the Yellow Book report back - their remit is to carry out a review of the economic and social condition of the area and to develop a realistic regeneration strategy which will include an action plan and recommendations on the town centre, waterfront, housing stock and underused land by June.

The four groups, which Jeanette mentioned, discussed –

A. Reasons why young people leave and do not come back
B. Tourism not attracting visitors
C. The image and reputation of the town
D. The obstacles for investment in the town

I think the feedback from the groups to Yellow Book was fairly comprehensive, I’ve got copious notes on what that feedback was which I can post if anyone wants, but I think what would be useful to yellow book would be the poll questions which I will stick up in a separate thread.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:29 pm

John, many thanks for the post. Any additional information you have would be welcome - I am interested in what the conclusions were to the four groups?

Also, it is rather sad to say that there were was no-one under 35 at the meeting. While I have nothing against some of the elderly people who were there, their views no longer represent what is best for the town and the way forward - I might be wrong but... :wink:

I still wonder if the views expressed do voice the town's views? At the back of us all we have a particular area where we want to see the town and Kintyre prosper more than other areas - mines would be sport and the facilities that we have in Campbeltown. Though I don't know if sport featured in the programme?

Polls would be good too. :D
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John S » Wed May 11, 2005 2:16 pm

It looks as if us prols may never know what Yellow Book report back.

They have a meeting with the "Steering Group" (who ever they may be) on the 2nd of June, But I was told at the meeting that they may not be instructed to feedback to the community or those consulted at the Victoria Hall.

Sounds to me like it could be a good case for the freedom of information act! After-all who pays for consultants - we do.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dgraves » Wed May 11, 2005 3:40 pm

[quote="Davie P"]

"Also, it is rather sad to say that there were was no-one under 35 at the meeting. While I have nothing against some of the elderly people who were there, "

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just sounded funny! What demographic have I been communicating with?! Is everyone on the forum 18 to 25 :D?

[quote="John S"] "A. Reasons why young people leave.... B. Tourism not attracting visitors"

Might try a new thread reaching out to all of those expatriots. It would generate income if those gone returned for visits or to invest. I imagine nearly every family there has someone in a foreign place. Mine go back to the 1800's with the McEacherns going to N. Carolina. I'm interested! Imagine those with more recent roots!!! Campbeltonians- reach out! :D :D :D
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue May 17, 2005 10:41 pm

dgraves wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Just sounded funny! What demographic have I been communicating with?! Is everyone on the forum 18 to 25 :D?

Dorian - I meant to reply and say YES! :lol: :lol:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby dgraves » Thu May 19, 2005 12:06 am

Nothing doing, Davie!! I got a sneak peak before the data was wiped :lol: You've got one year before you joing the ranks of the elderly :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri May 20, 2005 12:16 am

Yes reading that again it does read funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the sneak preview that was yon hacker spreading rumours... :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local News and Issues