tracing any relatives in Campbeltown - STEWART

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

Re: tracing any relatives in Campbeltown - STEWART

Postby cgms310 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi Mos!

Thank you SO much.

Once again my forum friends have come through for me AGAIN!

Best regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jrhay » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:02 am

Archibald Stewart was born 29 Sept. 1798 at the farm of Auchoish and married, on 29 Jan. 1824, Janet McTavish who was his cousin.

Archibald died at Dunamuck on 15 April 1875 and Janet on 27 August 1871 also at Dunamuck.

Until 1834 Archibald had been a tenant farmer at Ballimore, Aird, but took up one of the three leases at Dunamuck in 1834. His cousins John and James Stewart held the other two leases. Archibald continued as a tenant of Dunamuck until his death.

The children were:

Mary, b. 1824 at Ballimore, Aird, married John Paterson in 1846 and died 1907 in Souris, Manitoba.
Rev. John, B. 1826 at Ballimore, Aird, married Mary Stewart in 1857 and after Mary's death married Helen Mary McGregor about 1887 and died 1898 in Kincardine, Ontario.
Donald*, b. 1829 at Ballimore, Aird, married Mary McAlpine in 1861 and died 1876 at Dunamuck Farm.
Duncan, b. 1831 at Ballimore, Aird, married 1864 Christina McNeill and died 1872 at Keillbeg Farm.
Alexander, b. 1833 at Ballimore, Aird, married Catherine Barr Collins in 1859 and secondly Euphemia Knox Brock in 1885 and in 1894 in Glasgow.
Margaret, b. 1835 at Dunamuck and died in infancy.
Margaret, b. 1837 at Dunamuck and married Malcolm McAlpine in 1864 and died in 1864 (in childburth) at Strathmore Farm.
Archibald, b. 1839 at Dunamuck and married Christina Frances McKellar in 1875 and died in 1921 in Glasgow.
Peter, b. 1842 at Dunamuck and died in infancy.
Janet, b. 1844 at Dunamuck, married John McEwan in 1863 and died in 1923 at Pier House, Inellen.

*Donald emigrated to Australia when he was young but returned to Scotland after an accident saw his chest crushed by a cartwheel.

I am descended from Archibald Stewart's brother Alexander Stewart who emigrated to Lobo Township, Ontario in 1828.

I have considerable information on the Stewarts of Glassary Parish which I would be willing to share with you.

Jim.
jrhay
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby condorjourneys » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:48 am

Hi

I am trying to reconstruct the Stewarts from Park who married a McMath from Langa.

There is an Andrew Stewart from Park who married Mary McMath from Langa on 18 April 1786 They had 3 children (that's all I can find back in the parish records) being
Annabelle Stewart born at Park 17 Feb 1787
Archibald born Park at Park 12 May 1788
Dougald Stewart born at Park 28 May 1790

Does anybody have more info about what happened to Andrew and Mary and naturally any descendants?

Furhter there is Charles Stewart who married Margaret McMath - somewhere before or around 1783 probably as there is no marriage record and the records in Killean/Kilchenzie for marriages start only in 1783
They had following children:
5 Nov 1784 Alexander Stewart
9 April 1787 Robert Stewart
27 January 1790 Margaret Stewart in Langa

Again, does anybody have more info on them and any descendants.

Any help is appreciated.
condorjourneys
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby cgms310 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Well, well, well!

Just when you think you have a portion of the family under wraps, someone comes along and blows the doors of your research!!!
I am fascinated to know about this "new" information, as I have studied the Park Stewarts for many years.
I find no record of this particular Andrew Stewart who I am going to assume was born circa 1776.
I do however have a possible fit with an older Andrew Stewart born 1764 on Park, who married a Catherine McWilliams on December 29th, 1797.
Andrew and Catherine had nine children all born "on Park" and one of their daughter's Mary Stewart, married a Malcolm McMath. (Possibly a close family connection to your Mary McMath), which leads me to this interesting question:
I wonder if the Mary McMath of whom you speak, could have been Andrew's first wife. Perhaps she died giving birth to the third child Dougald and he simply remarried Catherine to take care of the three children? The time frame does fit, in which case this is an amazing piece of family information that I have never seen and it does mean that we are related!
Ok, for arguments sake, let us assume he did marry Mary first... I am intrigued about the name choices for the first and last child.
Annabelle is considered by many (myself included) to be a Blackhall Stewart family name (from the Rev. Charles Stewart’s wife Annabella Campbell). The Park Stewart's did marry into the Blackhall Stewart’s twice, but to use Annabelle is really a giant leap from our Park family "name selection". Archibald is a given, but then we have Dougald, another name synonymous with the Blackhall Stewarts, not the Park Stewarts at all!
Well this is all quite amazing and I would like you to please send me your e-mail address so we can exchange details... I also think you should consider having a yDNA test done to confirm your link to our branch.
Your cousin,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby cgms310 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:35 pm

I do apologise for not having seen your post until just now, when I answered the one above...
I would be very interested to see the information you have on your Stewart's, as a few of my branch also left for Australia and initially settled in Skipton. I also have many cousins in Canada and actually lived in Ontario for 6 years until recently moving to Illinois.
I will send you my e-mail address in a PM.
Regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby kirk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Weren't the Blackhall Stewarts related to royalty ? I'm sure I've read that in the history of Dunaverty. Also, I think I've read that the Campbeltown writer (lawyer/solicitor) David Stewart Galbraith may have been as well. I'll have to look through old editions of the Kintyre magazine to try and find it again.
kirk
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby cgms310 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi Kirk,

Yes they were, as were the Park Stewart's.

Both families also intermarried with their first and second cousins.

The Rev.Charles Stewart of Blackhall married Annabella Campbell, daughter of the Earl. The Park Stewart's also married as many as eight different times, into the Earl's and later Duke's of Argyll Campbell family.

With best regards,

Charles.
cgms310
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby JOEMAC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:05 am

I am trying to trace some relatives from the Killean & Campbeltown areas of Argyll.
They are DONALD BLUE born about 1772 he married EUPHANE McEACHRANE in July 1797 in Killean & Kilchenzie.She was from Kilcalmonell & Kilberry.
They had the following children that I know of.
Donald b. 1799
Kate b. 1801
Girzel b. 1804
Mary b. 1806
Niell b. 1808
All registered in Killean & Kilchenzie and noted as living at LAIGH BECHARRA [where and what was this place]
Anne b. 1810
Archibald b. 1812
both registered in Campbeltown. and noted as living at Calliburn
I would love to know the death dates for Donald & Euphane,the birth details for Euphane and anything relating to the children.
Any information would be gratefully received.
Thank`s,
Joemac South Australia.
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Shona » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Beachar is located between Muasdale and Killean - there is a huge standing stone and chambered cairn called on the farm. I'm not sure if this is the same farm as Laigh Beachar - I think this was a nearby farm.

Have you searched Scotland's People for those deaths? Records of deaths are poor before statutory registration, though, so if they died before then, it may be tricky.

Haven't found any headstones that would help.

It looks as if some of the children ended up in Canada.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby JOEMAC » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:25 am

Hi Shona,
Thank`s for that. I know a lot of the BLUE`s went to Canada, in fact, my great grandmother Grace Blue`s entire family went there, she stayed behind in Campbeltown and married my great grandfather John McMillan.
I have not tried Scotlands People yet but will see if I can obtain the info from other sources first.
Thank you again for your reply.If you come across anything that would assist, please let me know.
Kindest regards,
Joe McMillan,
South Australia
JOEMAC
JOEMAC
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby kelly-anne stewart » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:32 am

hi there my birth family is originaly from campbeltown, and i am looking to do my family tree, but due 2 been adopted i have very little information the information i know is my fathers father James Stewart Married a rachel gilchris mceachran in 1959 and they had 4 childern 2 girls and 2 boys, one boy names Douglas Stewart (my father) and Margaret stewart (unsure if married), any help in this matter would be (please note i am not looking to contact any off them just wanna know a lil bit off my ancesters from both birth family and adopted family )
kelly-anne stewart
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Kintyre Genealogy