Double Standards?

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Double Standards?

Postby hoots the scoop » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Noticed this post about this article and thought it's a good debate-

"If she has been male, she would've been locked up. Double standards for men and women"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tence.html
Hoots the scoop is a generic account and seeks to generate and stimulate conversation. If you wish access to this account please PM us. This account does not or should not represent personal views! :-)
hoots the scoop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Double Standards?

Postby EMDEE » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Saw this on the BBC website yesterday, and wondered why she had been put on the Sex Offenders Register. They were both over the age of consent at the time. The only problem I see is that she had exploited her position as a teacher and had a relationship with a pupil that was incompatible with this, and to me that is a matter for her employers and the pupil concerned. The report does not say what the offence was. Apart from the fact that she was a teacher I am not aware of any law against having an age gap in a relationship. What was the criminal offence? :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:14 am

EMDEE wrote:Saw this on the BBC website yesterday, and wondered why she had been put on the Sex Offenders Register. They were both over the age of consent at the time. The only problem I see is that she had exploited her position as a teacher and had a relationship with a pupil that was incompatible with this, and to me that is a matter for her employers and the pupil concerned. The report does not say what the offence was. Apart from the fact that she was a teacher I am not aware of any law against having an age gap in a relationship. What was the criminal offence? :?

Child Protection is up to 18?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:23 am

Wasn't aware of that. :oops:

The youngfla involved seems to have been quite happy about it and does not appear to have been mentally scarred for life. Knowing what youngsters that age are like it probably gave him a bit of status among his pals.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Current Affairs