Dunaverty Castle

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Conie Glen

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:57 pm

I've one too, I thought I would add, from last 15th September 2005 when I took some photos for Dunaverty Golf Club's website

Bruce - thanks for the postings - much appreciated and the wonderful photos. Just one wee tip - can you keep the photos to 640x480 as if any larger you have to scroll along to read the text etc. Cheers and regards

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bruce » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:02 am

Sorry about that... I had those two ready to go onto my own site at the size they are (800x600) and should have reduced them when I uploaded them, but I forgot to tick the box! I will try to remember in future!

For now though I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to this topic for their help. It seems that between the Campbeltown/Kintyre Info sites and the Carradale Goat the whole Kintyre area is well represented on the web!
Bruce
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Trapper » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:25 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:I know the Campbells somehow cut off the water supply to the castle but there is no way the River Con could have flowed to the sea any other way.........the lie of the land would not let it go to the other side of the rock.
I am pretty sure there was a spring within the castle grounds and with the long hot summer it ran dry......

4th gen, according to the book I mentioned earlier (kintyre in the 17th century) "there were two branches of the coniglen water which in those days meandered over flat land near to where southend village now stands, and did not enter the sea by it's present straight channel, which was cut only in the year 1817. the two stripes of water were defended by a trench."
I realise this doesn't necessarily mean it entered the sea on the other side of the rock, but if you've got any ideas where it did i'd love to know. Maybe 1st gen told ye! Also according to same source there are two accounts of the castles water supply, one says that there was a supply piped into the castle and another that states "the only water that was inside the castle walls was that which fell from the sky".The second was from the memoirs of sir James Turner who was an officer of david leslie and gives the only eye witness account of the siege so this is the more likely truth.
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Trapper » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:00 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:I know the Campbells somehow cut off the water supply to the castle but there is no way the River Con could have flowed to the sea any other way.........the lie of the land would not let it go to the other side of the rock.
I am pretty sure there was a spring within the castle grounds and with the long hot summer it ran dry......

4th gen, according to the book I mentioned earlier (kintyre in the 17th century) "there were two branches of the coniglen water which in those days meandered over flat land near to where southend village now stands, and did not enter the sea by it's present straight channel, which was cut only in the year 1817. the two stripes of water were defended by a trench."
I realise this doesn't necessarily mean it entered the sea on the other side of the rock, but if you've got any ideas where it did i'd love to know. Maybe 1st gen told ye! Also according to same source there are two accounts of the castles water supply, one says that there was a supply piped into the castle and another that states "the only water that was inside the castle walls was that which fell from the sky".The second was from the memoirs of sir James Turner who was an officer of david leslie and gives the only eye witness account of the siege so this is the more likely truth.

Better than a slater up yer nose! As sure as a cats a hairy beast!
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bruce » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:36 pm

We've just returned from a fantastic 2 weeks in Campbeltown and discovered the painting below in the Kintyre Heritage Centre:

Had the castle not been destroyed would Dunaverty look like the pic below?

(Any prizes for guessing that I'm not that good with photoshop?)
Bruce
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:10 pm

That will be Flora McCambridge then....and that baby has McDonald eyes right enough!!
If Malky was here he would tell yi.....or Oorly Goorlay
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:12 pm

And Trapper, sorry for not coming back to you on your point...I have that very same book on my desk right now, will have a good read at it tonight. If there was a well or spring on the rock it would be drying up this summer for sure.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

The eyes have it

Postby oorly gourlay » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:00 pm

4th gen Suthen wrote

and that baby has McDonald eyes right enough!!

Aye 4th gen, maybe the eyes do have it but it must be a Lowland sept of Clan Donald as there is something seriously wrong with the hair or maybe it's because it's a Mc rather than a Mac :D

oorly
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: The eyes have it

Postby Bruce » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:56 pm

oorly gourlay wrote:or maybe it's because it's a Mc rather than a Mac

I didn't realise there was any difference between the two... or those and the M' abbreviation!

No matter, at least myself and Linda have a better idea of what the castle may have looked like even if my ptotoshop'd version is not that great!
Bruce
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Southend Heritage

Postby sooze » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:33 pm

There is now a Southend website and we are adding to it regularly and there is info re Dunaverty. Donnie who lives there and Angus Martin made a leaflet a number of years ago which gives a brief history of the whole site. We should be able to get it all on (if it isn't there already as I haven't checked recently).

I believe there are no records of the castle so what it looked like can only be surmised but its nickname of Rock of Blood is as a result of the massacre after the seige when around 300 were killed (including 39 McDougalls) and the ground was red with blood.

I belive the tomb was built to accommodate the bones that were being continually ploughed up over the years. It looks like a one gabled small roofless building in the field between the caravan park and the golf course road.

http://www.southendargyll.org.uk

Sooze
sooze
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Dunaverty Castle

Postby Mack » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:48 pm

Dunaverty Castle was demolished, along with Lochead Castle in Campbeltown, after the rebellion by Archibald 9th Earl of Argyll against James 11 ( V11 of Scotland.) The standard of rebellion was raised in Campbeltown in 1685 and also in the Low Countries by the Duke of Monmouth - (Charles 11 illegitimate son) - who considered he had a claim to the throne.

Both were beheaded and South Kintyre lost its fortified houses.

Mack
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion