PMQ & FMQ - what's the point?

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

PMQ & FMQ - what's the point?

Postby Tom B » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Why do the Prime Minister & the First Minister get away with not answering questions at their respective question sessions in 'the chamber'?, and instead are allowed to answer questions with questions? Shouldn't it be more like when folk get hauled in front of 'select committees' ? and really get put on the spot - otherwise what's the point?
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: PMQ & FMQ - what's the point?

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:41 am

All questions are pre-planned as are the responses.No point at all.I do like questions asked by Dennis Skinner as he is a loose cannon.Apart from that, all hot air and posturing.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:59 am

The statement below is taken from the official Government website,

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/business/questions/

"Prime Minister's Question Time

The Prime Minister answers questions from MPs in the Commons for half an hour every Wednesday from Midday.

The session normally starts with a routine question from an MP about the Prime Minister's engagements. This is known as an 'open question' and means that the MP can then ask a supplementary question on any subject.

Following the answer, the MP then raises a particular issue, often one of current political significance. The Leader of the Opposition then follows up on this or another topic, they are permitted to ask a total of six questions. The Leader of the Opposition is the only MP who is allowed to come back with further questions.

Most MPs will table the same question about engagements and if they do, only their names will appear on the question book. After the first engagements question has been asked, any other MPs who have tabled the same question are simply called to ask an untabled, supplementary question. This means, in theory, that the Prime Minister will not know what questions will be asked of him. However, the Prime Minister will be extensively briefed by government departments in anticipation of likely subjects he could be asked about."

There is a big difference in "pre-planned" and "anticipation "
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:11 am

Anticipation surely means "fore-warned is fore-armed" doesn`t it?Prior knowledge means that they can prepare a response.Therefore it is a sham.Pedant.
Last edited by LANDROVER ROGER on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:30 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Anticipation surely means "fore-warned is fore-armed" doesn`t it?Prior knowledge means that they can prepare a response.therefore it is a sham.

I don't mind them knowing what the questions are in advance, but I do mind that nobody (i.e. the speaker) ever says "Hang on you haven't answered the question, that's not good enough, what's your answer?!" - that's the way it works at the select committees when folk get hauled in in front of them, and it should be the same at PMQ & FMQs!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Fair point.Tom B.Slightly off topic but I am growing increasingly tired of hearing the same old excuse every time a Tory spokesman/politician is asked to comment on a particular current issue they always start the response with stating what a terrible mess the previous Government made of everything.That is history.Deal with the present!
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Fair point.Tom B.Slightly off topic but I am growing increasingly tired of hearing the same old excuse every time a Tory spokesman/politician is asked to comment on a particular current issue they always start the response with stating what a terrible mess the previous Government made of everything.That is history.Deal with the present!

I must agree with this. There must come a point where the incumbent Government starts to take a bit of responsibility instead of blaming the previous Government for everything and using this to try to justify very unpopular policies. :evil:

I am not trying to make a party political point, the same would apply if the situation were reversed.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:20 pm

It is a total cop-out of an answer but has been the same for as long as I can remember. Standard response, we are in this mess because the last government of a different colour left us in the crap. I believe they are taught that at politics school the week after they are told how to fill in their expences sheets.
As I said in the other thread, same shit different rosette. We need a total change, but to what. :?
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Current Affairs