Gongs

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Gongs

Postby Govangirl » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:17 pm

I know we moan about them every year but . . . two second-rate old thespians get made Dames whilst Beckham and Murray are not given knighthoods? I was going to put a wee :<> but then realised I'm not surprised at all!!!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Gongs

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:33 pm

Does anyone know who makes the decisions?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:05 pm

....at least William and Kate's baby's doctor got a knighthood - how can you question the system that does that?

What happens to the gongs system if we get independence? - presumably we'll take the opportunity to cut the link to 'royal' patronage.
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby odds » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:02 am

Tom B wrote:....at least William and Kate's baby's doctor got a knighthood - how can you question the system that does that?

How pathetic and patronising is that award ? How many midwives up and down the country perform birth procedures in a run down NHS Department, yet some clown working in a privately funded hotel/hospital suite gets some kind of award for delivering a baby. Oh well, I must scurry on down to the backstreets now where my social standing would have me belong

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Does anyone know who makes the decisions?

I have a sneaky believing that Gary Barlow may be behind all this ........... he seems hell bent on interfering with every event held at the moment :)

Pete.
odds
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jalba » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:11 pm

Excellent article by Zoe Williams at the Guardian on this nonsense
http://gu.com/p/3ygh9
jalba
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:24 pm

I totally agree with the opinions on the award given to Sir Royal Doctor but they did explain this by saying they had also given awards to two cleaners . . . cleaners who clean Number 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: What the . . . :?:

Also, last week, I watched some lovely programmes about Glasgow theatres and Stanley Baxter. I cannot fathom why this genius has never been awarded anything! I see that the likes of Johnny Beattie, Una McLean, Rikki Fulton, etc. did in fact get honours, quite rightly - but why not Baxter? Does anyone know?
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:42 pm

Govangirl wrote: but why not Baxter? Does anyone know?

I don't know. I would like to think that he was asked if he would accept ,and he said no.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 pm

Totally agree on the nonsense of dishing out awards to Royal flunkies and assorted hangers-on.

Johnny Beattie, Una McLean, Rikki Fulton, etc. did in fact get honours, quite rightly - but why not Baxter? Does anyone know?
Why is it "quite right" to "honour" these people? What is so damn special about them?
two second-rate old thespians get made Dames whilst Beckham and Murray are not given knighthoods?
Don't Beckham and Murray get enough recognition and reward as it is?

What about the multitude of "ordinary" people who do so much for so little and dont expect an invite to the palace. A couple of long serving charity shop volunteers will probably be chucked an OBE to balance the books, but the good stuff will go to the great and the good as usual. The whole show makes me want to vomit.

How much is this rubbish costing the taxpayer in this time of austerity, or is austerity just a term to hold down wages and costs for the plebs whilst the politicos shove their noses further into the trough and toss each other trinkets.
Last edited by gizmo on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:32 am

Gizmo, I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying that as long as there is a system that honours accomplishments then why are certain folk missed out? If Wiggins get a knighthood why not Beckham and Murray, for example? If Beattie, why not Baxter? That's all. But hey, I'm with you all the way on the vomit-inducing system comment.

We still sit back and put up with all this though! I don't know why there isn't a revolution!!!!!!!!!!!! :<>

Oh wait, I know. Nobody cares. :|
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:30 am

G.G. I don't know if I would go quite as far as saying nobody cares!
I would say however, that not enough of us care. There's a big outcry about some things, and then we settle back into the tut, tutting from the sidelines mindset.

Didn't Stanley Baxter get offered a gong of sorts many years ago,only to refuse and suggest a suitable orifice where it could be stored. I may be wrong about this, but that's been an ongoing theme in my life :D
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby lochend » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:12 pm

The latest is that David Cameron's hairdresser has been given a gong.It seems he changed the PM's parting from left to right (or vice versa!) You may think that this is a joke, but I am deadly serious! :evil:
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 am

Three MPs who were criticised over their expenses last year were actually knighted! :@

How can Cameron give out so many of these gongs to his cronies????? To pigs-in-the-trough MPs? To his friends that holiday with him?? To celebs that attend the Tory Conference???? To the failing Boss of Barclays?????????????????
It is disgusting that these already privileged lot are being rewarded by a party that is hell bent on cutting jobs and pay and services of hard-working people . . . I'm going to burst a blood vessel now!!!!! :twisted:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Shona » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:28 am

Equally irked by the gong for Cameron's hairdresser and gongs for 'million hair' Tory donors.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby lochend » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Shona,I see what you did there! :lol:
lochend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hume » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 am

lochend wrote:The latest is that David Cameron's hairdresser has been given a gong.It seems he changed the PM's parting from left to right (or vice versa!) You may think that this is a joke, but I am deadly serious! :evil:

I don't think it would have been a move to the left.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Current Affairs