What are you reading just now?

Have your say....

Re: What are you reading just now?

Postby numberplease » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Seeing as I`m soon due to go into hospital, I`m trying to conserve my book stocks, so have made a couple of raids on my daughter`s neglected book shelf. Last week I read A Handful of Happiness, by Evelyn Hood, a story of life and love in the tenements of a small town near Glasgow, towards the end of WW1, and the few years following. Not my usual reading matter, but made an enjoyable change. I then went on to read The Wingless Bird, by Catherine Cookson, and loved it. Am now reading A Song Twice Over, by Brenda Jagger, set in Yorkshire, during the Industrial revolution. I`m nearly a third into it, and there are about 600 pages, but it`s not really grabbing me as yet, but will persevere.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Received Lee Child's latest back from my neighbour,he is in complete agreement with my opinion.It's rubbish. He reckons with all the driving about Reacher does he has lost his way. :lol:
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:39 pm

Still haven`t got around to it Bill, so will see when the time comes.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:38 am

"Silken Prey" is the latest in the "Prey" series from John Sandford,and what a good read it is. If you have not read one of his thrillers,then I can recommend that you do.Dare I say he is way out in front of Lee Childs when it comes to story telling. Each book holds you to the last page,also the bad guys do some times get away with it.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Have just begun Dead Man`s Time, by Peter James, enjoying it so far, I like the Roy Grace stories. Have just finished A Wanted Man, by Lee Child, I believe it`s the last one before the one that Bill didn`t like, I haven`t got to it yet.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:19 pm

John Grisham's latest "Sycamore Row",is a terrific read.

James Lee Burke's "The light of the world" is the latest in the Dave Robicheaux series, this time set in Montana. I have read them all ,and have never been disappointed.

Dan Brown's latest, "Inferno", could not hold my interest. I gave up on it about page 120.
Last edited by bill on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:17 pm

I`ve never been a John Grisham fan I`m afraid. I`ve just finished reading Dan Brown`s The Lost Symbol, and although I loved his first 4 books, this one just didn`t grab me, I finished it, but was quite bored, may not bother with the new one. Am now reading Elly Griffiths A Room Full Of Bones, it`s okay, but I enjoyed some of her other books more.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:23 pm

The Essential Dave Allen. I can hear him telling the things I'm reading.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Sounds good, I loved Dave Allen. I`m reading Criminal, by Karin Slaughter. Unusually for her, it dives back and forth between the 70s and the present day, but good nevertheless.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:18 pm

The Black House, Peter May.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Petewick, it`s the first in a trilogy, did you know? The others are Lewis Man, and Chessmen, they`re all well worth reading, in that order.
I`ve just started reading a book that I got as a giveaway from Gransnet, The Silent Tide, by Rachel Hore. Not my usual sort of read, but it looks as if it will be alright.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:13 pm

numberplease wrote:Petewick, it`s the first in a trilogy, did you know? The others are Lewis Man, and Chessmen, they`re all well worth reading, in that order.
I`ve just started reading a book that I got as a giveaway from Gransnet, The Silent Tide, by Rachel Hore. Not my usual sort of read, but it looks as if it will be alright.

Yeah thanks, am going to get the other two tomorrow, was in touch with Peter May recently.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Enjoy!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:45 am

The Only Way Was Essex by Spike Mays, previously published as Reuben's Corner.

"In a remote corner of rural Essex, when ploughs were drawn by heavy horses and children walked shoeless to school, young Spike Mays lived with his family in a two-up, two-down cottage, where there was no electricity, no bathroom, no running water and just a shared privy in the back yard. Beset by poverty, this was an England in the shadow of the Great War. In this bittersweet memoir Mays recreates the village, its travelling parson, local poacher and even the local drunkard. And in the bustling backstairs world of the squire's house where Spike served his apprenticeship we see a more privileged side to life. This warm and nostalgic portrait of a very different Essex opens a door to a distant past."
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 pm

Martin, I think I might just enjoy reading that, will look out for it. I`ve just finished Alex Cross Run, by James Patterson. I love the Alex Cross books, I feel as if I`ve watched his family grow up over the years. Am now reading Dead Letter Drop, by Peter James, the first book he ever had published in 1981, and it`s just been re-issued. It`s OK, but he hadn`t reached the standard that he`s at now, obviously, and I much prefer the Roy Grace stories.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc