Footy

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Footy

Postby tarmmaker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:19 pm

Why no mention of t' match?
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Footy

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:27 pm

tarmmaker wrote:Why no mention of t' match?

What's the t' match?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tarmmaker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:22 am

The one Scotland lost!
I don't follow football but it was a cracking match on both sides. Good entertainment.
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:42 pm

I actually went to it. Was always on my list of things I wanted to do - go to Wembley and see England vs Scotland and to be honest I wasn't disappointed. Was a great day out - match was great, atmosphere was superb and Wembley stadium is something else! I really just made it down for the match then home the following morning early but was a great experience - definitely think Scotland get more out of the fixture but hopefully something we can see more often.
Last edited by Ship called Dignity on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:18 pm

:@ So why were you disappointed then Ship, was it because of the result? Your experience seems to have been a good one? I'm a bit confused.
And did you take the wee one?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Govangirl wrote::@ So why were you disappointed then Ship, was it because of the result? Your experience seems to have been a good one? I'm a bit confused.
And did you take the wee one?

Sorry, meant to say wasn't disappointed! Oops! Was a bit of a flying visit - bus from Campbeltown at 6.30am, train from Glasgow at 11.40am then into London at the back of 4 (train was excellent and made me realise I will use it in future as opposed to flying!). So was just a case of getting to our digs (an excellent youth hostel along from Euston Station btw) a quick couple of drinks and on to the tube out to Wembley. Suited me as I didn't fancy the whole Trafalgar Square thing - must be getting old! :-)

Fans just mixed and banter was good. Couple of times there were a few angry exchanges but just down to drunkeness and ignorance on both sides. Stadium was unbelievable and then so was the atmosphere and game.

Interesting after the game that the police just let all of the fans out at the same time but it was that busy going down Wembley Way and then on the Tube that you could hardly move! So back to the digs, couple of pints and then bed before getting the 5.40am train back to Glasgow. First Class too :-)

All in all was a great trip and good experience and next time I'd take the wee man (he had school the next day).

PS - I didn't boo the national anthem, incase anyone is wondering. 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Great post Ship. Sounds' as if you had a ball.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hume » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Exactly the same travel arrangements for me as ScD except for the bus from/to Campbeltown so really very easy. The hardest part of the trip was getting ScD in to the youth hostel ! :lol: (only joking!). Actually that probably applied to us all.

Really enjoyed it, despite it being over in a flash. I think the generation gap since this game was an annual fixture has been a good thing for it and I would love to see us welcome England and their fans to Hampden in a couple of years, with further trip to Wembley in the years following that. It clearly means a lot to fans on both sides and the atmosphere was excellent, outside and inside the stadium.

We could have got a better result I suppose but there were some good signs on the pitch and there should be some confidence taken by the players.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Can you find yourself in this 360 degree picture Ship, or anyone else who was at the game? The section I was in on the top tier is too blurred.

http://fanpic.huggity.com/182-2013-fa_england_scotland/mobile/main.php?x=69279.44341575439&y=21322.180939964834&id=732831414#&ui-state=dialog
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Sport Chit Chat