The Boss!

Have your say....

Re: The Boss!

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Naw naw Bitter, that's MISTER Govangirl!!! Ma uplifting comes frae a deefrent place awthegither!!!!!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:23 am

Great Set list.

I love Fade Away.

Cadillac Ranch - Epic!!!

you got The River, we niver (did you see what I did there!)

He played "This little light of mine" twice :?

I mis-read one of your sentences and I thought it said:

For me, the highlights were FIVE songs mimed from Nebraska

........ my jaw nearly hit the floor! :lol:

Sounds like another great night.

Rolling Stone Magazine: A lot of people are surprised at his physical shape. You hear people joking and whispering at shows, "He's gotta be on HGH or something! How else can he be doing this at 62?"

Miami Steve: There's nobody at 22! What are you talking about? No … he's the opposite of a drug-created monster. [Laughs] He's in good shape by not doing drugs. It's something he doesn't have to preach about. He's a living example of what happens when you never do drugs your whole life.

I mean, I'm sure he's taken a drink or two a few times in his life, but he was never a drinker either. And he eats right and he's in the gym. Well, that's what happens. [Laughs] Don't do drugs. Don't drink, eat right, go to the gym and you can rock & roll at 62, too. It isn't rocket science. This is real old fashioned common sense. [Laughs]
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:28 am

Actually, it was great having Little Light to begin and end with.

As for the age thing, I was told at Belfast that every time he is backstage at a show he has several vitamin jags in his erse. I want to be that nurse. I SO want to be that nurse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Not too sure whether to thank you or cry GG, I'll do both...!
I missed Leeds, though I did hear that his Tour Trucks got parking tickets and that he was a wee bit late!
What a set list, next time The Boss plays the UK please tell him to do it when the UK weather isn't smashing record temperatures!!! It's no good for us Industrial Refrigeration Engineers!!!
Yip, ''Nebraska'' was played in '85, I don't suppose Nils did any back flips - he has always been one of my favourite '' underestimated '' performers in the music industry.
''Thunder Road'' , one of the last song request at Hampden 2009, accepted from the crowd and shown to the band very late in the show. This song, long with '' BTR '' were played as close to the originals as possible that evening. It sounds like his arcoustic ending to this years show was worth waiting for.
Thank you so much, I hadn't checked for or read any of the Belfast reviews - I don't need to now as you have given me everything I would have hoped for in your post.

To cheer myself up, only slightly, I am seriously looking forward to Roger Waters, Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett. In the meantime, I'll read Govangirl's set list again.

fROSTY
Last edited by Frosty on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:58 am

Ho ho Frosty, I was wondering where you had got to! I forgot another memory: one arm round Mr Govangirl, the other round Ags and us all singing 'tramps like us Baby we were born to run!' which will live with me for a very long time.
We actually agreed that the next tour should be experienced abroad and we thought Barcelona might be nice!!!! Wherever though, you are going to have to be with us Frosty!
I am actually in California at the moment and one of the flight crew guys showed me photographs of him with his arm around the great man when he met him in a restaurant. Oh Lord, one day...
Let us know about your upcoming concerts in the meantime.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Star in the new Springsteen film!

Postby Govangirl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:29 am

Govangirl wrote:A brilliant opportunity -
Be a part of the new film 'Springsteen & I'

Ridley Scott Associates, Black Dog Films and Scott Free London, the team behind a new feature documentary entitled Springsteen & I, are calling on fans worldwide to make their own film about Bruce and what he means to them. Inspired by Scott Free's award-winning Life In A Day, the producers are now looking for fans' most personal insights, abstractions and reflections on how Bruce Springsteen and his music has affected their lives.

"We encourage you to be part of this unique cinematic experience by either submitting a clip or getting in touch with us via email or phone," says the film's producer Svana Gisla. "We are searching for a wide variety of creative interpretations, captured in the most visually exciting way you can think of, whether you've been a hardcore Tramp since '73 or have heard one of his songs for the first time today! If you have a parent, a sibling, a neighbor or a colleague who has an interesting tale, we want to know about them. If you can't use a camera or are not sure how to capture your story then get in touch and we will link you up with someone who can!"
The film is inspired by Scott Free London’s critically acclaimed feature film Life in A Day who serve as executive producers. The producers are Ridley Scott Associates/Black Dog Films and the director is Baillie Walsh.
Movie and image files will be able to be quickly uploaded through the film's website springsteenandi.com by following simple online instructions. Ideally, the higher quality the footage the better, but the producers stress that any equipment, from smartphones to hi-def cameras are accepted – as long as they are under 5 minutes in length.

Springsteen & I will accept submissions from 12:00 am GMT on November 15, 2012 through 12:00 am GMT on November 29, 2012 at springsteenandi.com, so start telling your story now!

This is on tonight at 9pm on Sky Arts 1. Very disappointed they didn't include my offering :cry: but hey ho, they got millions.

And only a few weeks to go to a new album!!!! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:07 am

Just been listening to his latest album. Hmmmm, I'm not a big Springsteen fan but this is the second album on the trot that I like. I'm getting worried now.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Woohoo Martin, we'll make you a fan yet!!!!! And knowing you as much as we can on here I'm not surprised you enjoy this latest album - tracks like Shackled and Drawn and Death to my Hometown cannot fail to make an impact. There are few of these voices around at the moment.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:29 pm

Six Music featured album of the day today.I am very impressed! Enjoyed all the tracks.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Got really, really livid yesterday when Amazon didn’t deliver the precious package on time but got it today and was able to download it last night. Just finished watching the Born in the USA DVD that came with it and which was recorded in London last year – and it is superb!! :D

The album is certainly not a great, it will never go down as a classic but it was going to be so difficult to follow Wrecking Ball anyway. And of course, it does contain all old songs and classics like 41 shots (have to say I’m surprised when it was so controversial in the first place although I think I heard it was re-done in memory of the young boy shot last year) but for me, this never works as a studio track, it’s got to be heard live – oh and the mix at the beginning is strange. And of course the fab Ghost of Tom Joad with the brilliant Morello touch BUT I have to be honest and say there’s too much, imho, of the influence of Morello. At times, it’s a bit like a Rage Against the Machine track!

The thing I like best so far about it is that Clemons (particularly on Harry’s Place where the Big Man definitely has that R&B thing going on) and Federici are really noticeable on the album. His cover of Dream Baby Dream is simply extraordinary although again, I thought his simpler acoustic rendition whilst on tour last year was so much better. The very poignant and very beautiful The Wall is also a favourite – don’t know why but I ended up singing Will ye go, Lassie Go afterwards but the production is great. Down in the Hole is also very haunting but I think this has to grow on me a bit longer. I honestly thought the track Frankie Fell in Love was very much like his way early stuff – I can just see us singing this under a cardboard box at a concert Ags!!!! - and I just cannot understand why Harry’s Place didn’t make the cut on The Rising unless it was about context.

Anyway, I’m happy. Some tracks are sheer delights, some are just okay (but certainly not fillers, oh no, no, no) and some I know will grow on me once I’ve heard them again and again.

Ags, Frosty, Sheik . . . Have any of you heard it yet?
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 pm

This was him this week on Late with Jimmy Fallon. There are three videos of him live, they're fantastic!!!! The interview is brill too. :D Hate to remind you of your age comment Sheik but 63???? 63!!!!

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/bruce-springsteen-and-the-e-street-band-high-hopes/n45089/
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:27 pm

High Hopes!
Finally had a chance to, properly, listen today. Four tracks in and I'm impressed so far! I was a wee bit concerned that this was going to be a '' Contractual Obligation '' when I started to hear about the concept behind the release - when Tom Morello came on as substitute in Australia (for Steve Van Zandt) , apparently there was a spark which reignited some old songs resulting in the re - recording of these plus the release of some older, unreleased, material.
I first heard ''American Skin (41 Shots)'' on the '' Live in New York '' album (2000). The studio recording is a very good representation of a powerful '' live '' song.
''Wrecking Ball '' hasn't been out of my car - where I listen to most of my CDs - since I bought it. I doubt if this will average the same playing time. Totally agree with Govangirl - no bad tracks and certainly more comfortable and happy than I thought I would be. For comparison - '' Wrecking Ball '' gets 10/10, '' High Hopes '' gets 8 /10!
I managed to get the CD plus DVD edition too, I'm looking forward to watching the Born in the USA album being played live - I can still remember the day in June 1985 at Newcastle, '' Born in the USA '' was the first song - the rest was over three hours of brilliance. Over 30 years later and I'm still listening to Bruce Springsteen!
No concerts booked for 20014, apart from Lee Evans, though I may catch Fish in Sheffield (2nd May) if I'm not too busy?

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Frosty wrote:For comparison - '' Wrecking Ball '' gets 10/10, '' High Hopes '' gets 8 /10!

Have to concur there. Thing is, an average Bruce album is still a great album!!!! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Wish I was in Cape Town tonight!
Just watched a brilliant recording from the rehearsal of '' Just Like Fire Would '', with Tom Morello, on www.brucespringsteen.net!
No European shows announced yet, though he has just added a show in New Orleans in May.
'' High Hopes '' , I got it all wrong....... now 9 /10. The DVD, worth the £12.99 alone, is just brilliant.
Well said GG, a great album from The Boss, at 63!!!! I bet his first show in Africa, playing songs from a new album, will be fantastic.
One last thing, my eldest is about to move into his first '' place ''! His name ....... Harry!!!!!!

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Oh dear Frosty, I hope he's not like Bruce's Harry :lol: And I really like 'Just Like Fire Would' now, a lot better than when I first heard it.

Yes, all the concerts are available to download starting from the Cape Town one tonight at $9.99. They are also available on a memory stick USB wristband!!! These will be available from Backstreets Magazine but fans in their hundreds are complaining that the $40 charge is too much. :<>
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc