The Boss!

Have your say....

Re: The Boss!

Postby Ags » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Govangirl wrote:Utterly brilliant Agnes!!!!!! Great set list and that end one would do it for me!!!! The Big Man is very much still alive. Cannot wait now for Belfast! Did you see Sheik? The last time he got to touch him - the nest date is surely a sleepover?????? :lol:

I was hoping we were having a sleepover but alas the only "celeb" in our hotel was Jason Donovan......not quite the same thing!! :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:21 pm

I meant to put 'next' not 'nest' but shame about the guest :( And tell us Ags, what about what he looked like - can't believe how fab he looks for 63!! This is on the first page of this thread:

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:
I just got a bit concerned with the fact that he's now 58 :shock: and still running about the stage like a dafty.

No need to be concerned even 5 years later Sheik :lol: Btw, are you still recovering? We haven't heard from you :? Hope you haven't mixed up the dates and are going NEXT Tuesday to see Robbie Williams and Olly Murs? :lol:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Govangirl wrote:I meant to put 'next' not 'nest' but shame about the guest :( And tell us Ags, what about what he looked like - can't believe how fab he looks for 63!! This is on the first page of this thread:

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:
I just got a bit concerned with the fact that he's now 58 :shock: and still running about the stage like a dafty.

No need to be concerned even 5 years later Sheik :lol: Btw, are you still recovering? We haven't heard from you :? Hope you haven't mixed up the dates and are going NEXT Tuesday to see Robbie Williams and Olly Murs? :lol:

Haha, imagine? GG he looked fab and I continue to say he looks better and better the older he gets! He laughed and had banter with the band and only very briefly towards the end of this mammoth show did I think he was really feeling it! I'm a shortlegs and wasn't seeing it all, maybe others have a different point of view?

There was a wee girl beside us at one point on her Dad's shoulders, she may have been 6 or 7, definitely no more than 8! She belted out Born to Run word for word from start to finish, fantastic!! Now that's Bruce-washing Sheik!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Not exactly an avid fan of the Boss but like his classics. Two things from the concert.

1. it was great listening to him from my back garden on a beautiful sunny evening.

2. The noise from Hampden was incredible as I tried to get to sleep just after 10.00pm. I'm on the early shift for gods sake :wink:
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:03 pm

Bobh, I can't think of anything better than being kept up all night by Bruce :wink:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 pm

you naughty girl. :wink:
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:01 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:48 pm

A wee reminder of why we love to go to more than one concert and wish we had the money to do more!! This is the report of Glasgow and Coventry from the official Springsteen website! Glasgow was fab, Coventry would have been amazing too :D

June 19, 2013
Notes from the road: Glasgow

The E Street Band took the stage under a bright summer sun matched only by the bright shiny Scottish faces. This was only the third time Bruce has played a show in Glasgow, but with as much fun as he was having on stage, he ought to come here more often. The show opened strongly with “We Take Care of Our Own,” followed by “The Ties That Bind.” Scotland was loving it, and Bruce seemed to pick up on the energy — he dove into the crowd and started pulling out signs before the second song was even over.

So the requests began early. Bruce granted “Jole Blon” first, the Cajun traditional he reworked for Gary U.S. Bonds back in ’81. Next, a sign request for “It’s Hard to Be a Saint in the City,” played with vein-popping intensity. Roy’s piano playing was stunning, but when Bruce and Stevie traded guitar licks it was truly jaw-dropping. The intense pace kept up with “Radio Nowhere,” and “Bobby Jean” rounded out the sign requests —it might have been the prettiest version of “Bobby Jean” heard in recent memory.

On this anniversary of Clarence Clemons’s passing, it was especially poignant to have “My City of Ruins” back in the set. The horn section shone on this one, with Ed Manion digging deep to hit that last note. As Jake came in, the camera panned over several signs in the audience acknowledging The Big Man. But it wasn’t sad. It wasn’t sad at all, even though tears were shed. There was a lot of love bouncing off the stage and through the audience and back as we all shared in the joy of his memory.

“My City of Ruins” seemed to wring out the fevered intensity of first part of the show; after that it got very loose and playful with “Spirit in the Night” and the second jaw-dropping moment of the night, “E Street Shuffle.” Reverend Everett Bradley really showed his stuff, his percussion instruments making this 40-year-old song sound like something brand new.

Then it was back for more song request signs. One, politely asking for a pick, received a positive reply, which made the young man asking very happy. “I’m on Fire” played next made us all happy. Bruce kept it slow with “Tougher than the Rest,” by request of a young woman in memory of her father.

Next was a trio of gangster songs, “Atlantic City,” “Murder Incorporated,” right into “Johnny 99.” It was during the last of these that vocalist Curtis King revealed the most unusual instrument ever seen on the E-Street Stage: a bell affixed by a strap to his butt that rang with the right dance move. It was so unusual that when Bruce saw it, he actually stopped singing. As the camera zoomed in on Curtis’s butt-bell contraption Bruce said, “They like to surprise me!” He was laughing so hard he had trouble getting the next line out.

“Open All Night” got everyone’s butts our of their seats, just as Bruce predicted, and the audience stayed there for Darlington County, which had some great audience interaction; Bruce took the phone away from a young woman in the audience and told the person on the other end, “She’s busy right now — really busy!” Now that the audience was up, they danced and sang through the rest of the set, culminating in “Badlands” into “Land of Hope and Dreams.”

After a fun series of encores, “Tenth Avenue Freeze-out” might well have been the end of a really great show… but this party was going to fast to stop now. “We ain’t goin’ home yet!” Bruce hollered, and he launched into “Twist and Shout” followed by a big hit for Scottish singer Lulu, the Isley Brothers’ “Shout.”

A visibly tired Bruce — this was a three-and-a-half-hour show, after all — ushered the band off stage, and then he came back for what he called “a rock ‘n’ roll lullaby,” a closing “Thunder Road,” solo acoustic and simply beautiful.

With so many song requests played in Glasgow, you have to wonder if there will be a show in the future that is sign requests start to finish. If anybody could pull that off, it’d be Bruce and the E Street Band.

June 21, 2013
Notes from the road: Coventry

Everyone knows what a great guitar player Bruce is, but when he took the stage alone at the top of the night for a solo version of “The Ghost of Tom Joad,” he reminded us that he also plays a mean harmonica. This set the stage for the evening’s showcase of instrumental wonders to come as the multi-talented E Street band took their places for “Long Walk Home.” Without a break or a breath they dove into “My Love Will Not Let You Down,” during which Bruce collected up a bevy of audience signs requests. He held up the first one and said “I like this,” revealing a sign that said “Play Anything.” Knowing his friend needed a boost, Bruce shouted, “Come on Steve,” and they were off into “Two Hearts.” If this week’s death of Steve’s “other Boss,” James Gandolfini, surely weighed heavy, it was good to see some rock ‘n’ roll catharsis work its magic.

The requests continued with “Seeds,” “Trapped,” and a particularly special one, the E Street premiere of “Long Time Comin’.” The sign read “For my new born baby Ruben,” prompting Bruce to give some practical parenting advice: “Don’t frick it up, now, don’t frick it up,” he said with a chuckle. Before playing the song, he told a funny story about how people create two-sided signs, hoping at least half of it will get his attention — the “Play Anything” sign, for instance, had “I’d look good playing your guitar” on the other side. “Sometimes they are just trying to cheer you up,” he said, showing a sign proclaiming, “Miami, still looking good!” which prompted a Stevie! Stevie! chant from the audience.
During the “Hungry Heart” sing-along, a fan in crowd caught Bruce’s attention with a sign asking, “Bruce, can I have a man hug?” Yes, you can… he was rewarded with not one but four hugs, and a little dance too. Bruce was working hard to keep his fans happy, including the little boy who was called up on stage next. Whle the lad was retrieving his sign, Bruce said he was practicing for hosting a Saturday morning television show — “for when this all goes to hell!” No chance of that happening any time soon based on the reaction to “The River,” the song on nine-year-old Joseph’s request.

After all these signs, Bruce said it was time to change things up a bit and announced that Born to Run would be played in its entirety, dedicated to “Our great friend James Gandolfini.” “Thunder Road,” of course, kicked it off, and with horns wailing left no doubt that this wasn’t the lullaby version of the song. “Backstreets” with “Sad Eyes” worked into the middle… remember how you would listen to this album over and over to cure a broken heart? With this version of “Backstreets,” an audience of enraptured Brits learned that it still works for that.

A blistering “Born to Run” and high-energy “She’s the One” made “Meeting Across the River” — played with only Bruce, Curt Ramm, Roy Bittan, and Garry Tallent on stage — seem all the more hauntingly mesmerizing. Jake Clemons captivated the audience with a note-perfect solo on “Jungleland,” and Bruce proved that he still has the best howl in rock ‘n’ roll.

Thirty seconds later everyone was listening to what their butts were telling them, up and shaking it to “Pay Me My Money Down.” There was a lot of fancy dancing by the horns and colorful New Orleans-style umbrellas hoisted by the choir. It was an absolute visual and aural delight that reset the stage and got everyone ready for the dance party to follow.

Cindy Mizelle, featured on “Shackled and Drawn,” just gets better and better, her honey-sweet voice blending perfectly with Bruce’s gruffness and then soaring to encourage us all to rise up. “Lonesome Day” returned to the setlist, the “It’s alright” refrain like a comforting pat on the back to a troubled friend. “We are Alive” seemed to do the same. The encores brought us out the other side, pure rock ‘n’ roll bliss from the heart-thumping, chest-pounding “Born in the U.S.A.” through “Raise Your Hand” and “American Land.”

Just brilliant, is that not the final persuasion you need to take that Belfast ticket Frosty? :lol: Thanks for the mail and will reply later.
GG, Iain says there is a place to sell your tickets either at Badlands or Backstreets. I will have a wee look and let you know which one!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks Ags, I hadn't heard or read any reports of all the Coventry show, only what one of my friends was saying while driving back - as he tried to persuade me to drive them to the Cardiff show.
The Boss is certainly ripping up the idea of a ''Set list ''.
I have heard that Nils has had to take every guitar he owns to each show as they have no idea what they will have to play, even to the extent where The Boss will change the opening song as soon as he hears the audience's reaction to them coming on stage?!?

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:23 pm

All good stuff!!!! It's heightening the anticipation! I'm just in from seeing Elvis Costello and he was brilliant! so thought I'd post this as it is fab - even though he didn't sing it tonight.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Why I’ve seen Bruce Springsteen more than 70 times
Ever since he first heard The Boss at school, ex-cricketer and TV presenter Mark Nicholas has been a devotee of America’s most 'evangelical’ rocker

By Mark Nicholas

Tonight, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band perform in London, at the first major concert in the Olympic Park since Coldplay closed the Paralympic Games last summer. Tens of thousands of fans will rejoice in the music that has held their hearts for almost 40 years. I will be one of them.

It will be the fourth Springsteen show I have seen in a fortnight, the sixth in as many weeks, and around about the 70th to date. It is a love affair that began on an autumn afternoon in 1975, when an extraordinary and overwhelming wall of sound burst across the courtyard of an English boarding school deep in the heart of the Berkshire countryside.

I moved closer to the window from whence it came, drank in the magic of Backstreets and Born to Run, and that was that. I was gone, lost in a heady mix of the stories of hope and fear that confront most teenagers while listening to layers of rock ’n’ roll that transcended the prog and glam movements of the time. Few artists, if any, have distilled so many genres – blues and bluegrass, soul, gospel, folk and rock ’n’ roll – and given their music such flavour.

Springsteen has sold more than 120 million albums. He has won an Oscar, numerous Grammies and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Bono. He plays generously for charity and has attached himself to election campaigns for both John Kerry and Barack Obama. His concerts last between three and four hours, and include up to 35 songs that cover every corner of his remarkable catalogue. They are lauded as the greatest rock shows on earth. It is not for nothing we call him The Boss.

In 1995, I got to meet him in London as he took his solo album, The Ghost of Tom Joad, to the road. This was hardcore stuff, stripped down to guitar and harmonica and performed with a seriousness that demanded unfailing loyalty from the audience. The Brixton Academy was hushed in its appreciation of songs that told tales of loneliness and desperation. I took Tim Rice with me and, in the brotherly way of songwriters, Tim and his buddy were asked to Springsteen’s dressing-room after the show.

Patti Scialfa – his beautiful wife and long-time E Street band member – was a fine host. Springsteen was charming, first telling Tim how much his kids “liked the Lion King stuff”, and then, responding kindly to my nervousness, stopped short of asking me how the Hampshire cricketers were doing in the County Championship. Which was a relief, because we were four losses from four.

They say you shouldn’t meet your heroes. Maybe they are right. I wanted to tell him that whenever I was down at heel, his music lifted me back up and carried me to the clouds. But it was beyond me to get the words out.

I wanted to tell him that, on tour to Sri Lanka in 1986, I had walked to the wicket as captain of an England 'A’ team that was battling to save an unofficial Test match in Kandy. Mike Selvey, the former England bowler and lifelong fan himself, fixed it for Hungry Heart and No Surrender to be played on the PA during the tea interval. Inspired, I made a few runs and we saved the match.

Those words failed me, too. Nor could I tell him that it was a difficult tour, that the Tamils had spread fear throughout the country and into elements of our team, a number of whom wanted to return home immediately. I believed we should stay and wrestled with the contradictions. In my room, headphones on, volume up, the music kept me sane and gave me confidence. And I doubt I shall ever be able to thank him for that, either.

Why should Springsteen, who has become the conscience of his American land, matter to me? Why does everyone from Manchester to Melbourne rise up and, with tribalist abandon, scream “I was…BORN in the U-S-Ayeeee”?

Powerful and passionate whether in concert or on record, there is something of the preacher in Springsteen – and something vaudevillian. He is also edgy, enthralling and evangelical, offering serious appraisals of American life while also bringing light relief.

After the Hyde Park concert a year ago, a friend of mine said: “It was a good night at church.”

This is not so ridiculous as it sounds, for there are moments in the shows when he marches into the congregation and demands something in return.

“Is there anybody alive out there?” he asks. “Is there anybody alive out there?” Later, he urges: “C’mon up for The Rising,” and “Raise your hands!”

The stories that Springsteen tells are relevant to our own lives. He makes strong points about things for which we care – freedom and fairness, democracy and community – and, when the time is right, he celebrates the things we love: romance, rebellion, fast cars and hard living.

The unlikely characters in his songs are as much a part of our life as of his: Crazy Janey, Spanish Johnny, many Marys, the Magic Rat and Outlaw Pete, to name a few. In his post-9/11 redemption masterpiece, The Rising, he speaks for America’s grief, before inviting us all to “Mary’s place” where “we’re gonna have a party”.

Whenever Springsteen performs with his E Street Band, magic happens. “Collectively, it’s a formidable thing,” he has said. The core of band was formed in the late Sixties and early Seventies, but has recently been refreshed by circumstance. First, Danny Federici, the keyboard and accordion player, died of melanoma, and more recently Clarence Clemons, Springsteen’s saxophonist and soulmate, passed away from a stroke.

Clemons was irreplaceable: “He was something elemental, like the air or the rain,” says Springsteen. So rather than replace him, the Pied Piper added more followers in the form of a five-piece horn section that included Clemons’ nephew, Jake, on sax. It is a frightening responsibility.

Ten days ago in Coventry, Jungleland, the epic anthem that closes Born to Run and which features a virtuoso sax solo, was performed before a British audience for the first time since Clemons’s death. Jake did not let us down. The moment when the solo reached its crescendo, The Boss held his legendary Fender guitar aloft to the sky – and the crowd were breathless in awe.

Springsteen’s live shows have a tension akin to watching your hero bat; you’re consumed by the fear of his dismissal. Will he be back? The prospect of such loss is nerve-shredding. This is addiction, and I cannot bear the thought of being without it.

When the band strikes up, the pleasure washes over me. A flood of ecstasy drowns both my mind and soul, in which are embedded the lyrics, rhythms and sounds of a lifetime. A few beers and I leap about manically, sleeves rolled up, hammering at my air guitar in reverse strokes and belting out the words. Sober, I just stand there, spellbound by his every move, adoring, overcome. It is hard to quantify this emotion – indeed, it may be better not to.

People ask why I want to see the same show over and over. I answer that I see the same artist, not the same show. Yes, his concerts have a carefully considered and rehearsed format, but the band can turn on a dime, whether at the whim of The Boss or at the crowd’s request. Setlists have been known to go out of the window as he walks to the stage. Requests are taken, kids sing into his microphone, adults swoon. The new horn players say, “He’s like an old jazz cat”, willing and able to try anything, so you better be paying attention.

Heaven knows how long the magic will last. There are still tickets available for tonight’s gig, so you can see it for yourself. It might be Jake Clemons’s sax, or Roy Bittan’s gorgeous, staccato piano solo from Racing in the Street. It might be Stevie Van Zandt’s subtle ukulele that opens The Land of Hope and Dreams, or Nils Lofgren’s searing guitar on Because the Night. Indeed, you may be seduced by any member

of a thrilling orchestra absolutely at the peak of its game.

Most likely, it will be Bruce himself and, perhaps, the haunting vocal that concludes The River, a moment so sublime you feel weightless, and nothing else in the world truly matters.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Beautiful
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Frosty » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Ags, Fantastic - thank you so much for taking the time to add this to the thread.
''Live In New York'' is being played in the car just now - I'd forgotten how great that concert was!
I'm still hanging onto a very small chance of going to Leeds on the 24th!!!!

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Well Frosty I can honestly say that was the BEST Boss concert I’ve ever been to!!!!!

He did a pre-show setlist at teatime (what other star does that?) to the waiting crowd:
1. Surprise Surprise
2. Maria’s Bed (Tour Premiere)
3. Growin’ Up
4. In Dreams (Roy Orbison cover – played only part of it and then said it didn’t work
5. This hard Land

The show was absolutely fantastic! The setlist was:
1. This Little Light Of Mine
2. The ties That Bind
3. Jackson Cage
4. She’s The One
5. Reason to Believe
6. Johnny 99
7. Atlantic City
8. NEBRASKA (yes! Amazing!)
9. Prove It All Night
10. We Take Care Of Our Own
11. Wrecking Ball
12. Death To My Hometown
13. The River
14. Fade Away (never heard this live!)
15. Open All Night
16. Cadillac Ranch
17. Darlington County
18. Bobby Jean
19. Shackled And Drawn
20. Waitin’ on a Sunny Day
21. The Rising
22. Badlands
23. Rocky Ground
24. Born In The U.S.A.
25. Born To Run
26. Dancing In The Dark
27. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
28. Shout (Had everyone rocking!)
29. This Little Light Of Mine
30. Thunder Road (acoustic)

He really smashed it! Sheik, I know you questioned his energy levels at one point but I tell you – even at 63, he can still smash it with a three and a half hour set full of passion and power – and pure sex appeal!!!!!
For me, the highlights were FIVE songs mined from Nebraska (the last time the song ‘Nebraska’ was performed at an E Street Band show was in 1985!), ‘Fade Away’ from The River, Cadillac Ranch, The Big Man Remembrance bit and the final haunting Thunder Road with the great man standing alone on stage, his voice echoing around the stadium. I always worry about the live Thunder Road versions because in my opinion, this is THE greatest ever record made but it was thrilling, especially at the end with Jake Clemons’ striking sax crescendo at the end. His indefatigable drive, energy and devotion to us, his audience, just never cease to amaze me. It was pure joy and they LOVE doing what they do – this really showed on Saturday night!

My non-highlights? FOLK YAKKING AWAY DURING SONGS!!!!! LOSERS!!! If they have such little respect for the genre, why the Hell are they there? What loonie spends all that on a ticket to chat through Atlantic City? Jeez… :twisted:

Lofgren looked super cool, I thought Little Steve looked tired and sad-looking and I have to say I missed Patti.

After the recent Glastonbury, the Boss is everything that Old Mick isn’t!!!! Please folks, if you haven’t seen Springsteen live, you must put it on your bucket list as the most phenomenal experience you will ever have!

I have been uplifted by the spirit!!!!! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bitter End » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:59 pm

------------ " I have been uplifted by the spirit!!!!! :D "

Aye a boatle o 50 year old Springbank ! :lol:
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc