Drumlemble Primary School Class 1 about 1962

Please post your photos of memories of Kintyre in here. If you wish to send any photos that we can post please forward these to admin@kintyreforum.com

Drumlemble Primary School Class 1 about 1962

Postby kathy9 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:16 pm

Anyone recognise any of the little ones in the picture?

kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Drumlemble School 1962-ish

Postby kathy9 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Anyone recognise any of these little folk?

kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Drumlemble School 1962-ish

Postby Mary G » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:52 pm

I could hazard a guess at a few names - but others will know right.

But what is with the flowers? Are they all roses? And if so, what was the occasion - last day of the summer term? I know that was a tradition in some parts of Kintyre years back.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby kathy9 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:38 am

Yes Mary I do believe we all had to wear roses on the last day of school, all dressed up by the look of things too. :)
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DRUMLEMBLE1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 am

The photo was taken on the last school day in June 1961 and shows primary 1 and 2. It was custom to wear a rose on the last day. On that day all pupils received real Italian ice cream from the Locarno Cafe.
DRUMLEMBLE1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby DRUMLEMBLE1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Names in photo
Back row-Evelyn Smith, Fay McIntyre, Elizabeth Millar, Helen Millar, David McArthur, Andrew McGuire,Alex McPhee, Stewart Keyte, Catherine Collard.
Middle row- David Irwin, Bruce Keyte,Rosemary Wardrop, Johnny Robertson, Jimmy Thomson, Willie McTaggart, Leslie Collville, Findlay Borthwick, Margaret McPhee
Front row-Alistair Glen,Katherine Eglinton, Catherine Brown, Doreen Smith, John Ralston, John McPhee,Hugh Sinclair,Hendrie Graham
DRUMLEMBLE1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby John A » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:30 pm

The wearing of a rose on the last day of term is a tradition still carried out at Drumlemble school. :)
John A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby kathy9 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Wow this is great!! I have been struggling for ages with some of the names. I can't remember the ice cream we got from the Locarno Cafe, which incidentally is the best I ever tasted and I been around the world a couple of times. Locarno still the best, served by Mr Togneri senior. He was a lovely man.

Our teacher was Miss Collingwood who I remember was very talented, a great pianist, but also loved to tell us stories, we sat around the coal fire. She also taught us many crafts, sewing and knitting for the girls, dont know what for the boys, I am sure they were kept occupied by something!! I think we were very blessed to have such a dedicated teacher.
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby kathy9 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Anyone got any info on the history of Drumlemble school, when it was built, etc?

And any pics of older classes, particularly the teachers, I remember Miss McQueen and Mr. Campbell. They were personalities in themselves, so they were. :D
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby DRUMLEMBLE1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Kathy9,
Sorry to say I disagree with your comments with respect to Miss Collingwood. Myself and 4 others in the photograph were kept back and had to to repeat primary1 because of Miss Collingwood. How wrong she was. I don't even consider her as a good teacher. Because of her keeping us back we were considered dunce's or slow learner's by others. How good is that to give a child any confidence in their future life. Mr Campbell , the headmaster should have stepped in and shown his authority. Every time I hear her name mentioned it hurts very much because of what she had done.
DRUMLEMBLE1
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Drumlemble Primary School Class 1 about 1962

Postby kathy9 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Och Drumlemble, I am so very sorry. I tend to hit the delete button at unhappy memories so all I remember is the stories round the coal fire and that sort of thing.

But ... do you remember when Mr Campbell retired, Robert Bruce taking over the senior classes? He liked to put us naughty ones behind the blackboard, stick our hands out under the board, and strap us, but we didnt know when it was coming. I remember some nasty blisters from times of being strapped. Oh yeah I was one of the naughty bunch OK. What sort of person does that to kids. :<>
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby kintyre katie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:48 pm

I often wondered if this photo would surface sometime. We were Miss Collingwoods first class,she took a photo of her class on the "closing day" each year.I remember she had them all on the wall of her classroom. What a lovely reminder of school days gone by.
kintyre katie
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby kathy9 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:09 pm

I remember also Miss Collingwood took out to watch the eclipse of the sun, we had bits of glass blackened by soot, didnt quite understand what was going on at the time but now am so grateful she did this for us. We went to Turkey a couple of years back to see another eclipse and it was just unbelievable, everything went dark for those few seconds and it got really cold. Couldnt help but think back then to Miss Collingwood and my first experience of seeing the eclipse. :)
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Drumlemblehomecoming » Fri May 10, 2013 6:06 pm

On 12th and 13th July 2014 during the year of homecoming it is planned to hold an event at Drumlemble Primary school to celebrate and remember our school days at Drumlemble.

During the day on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th and exhibition of old school photos and memorobilia will be on display and on the Saturday evening a celebration Ceilidh will take place at which we hope as many former pupils and staff of Drumlemble School will be able to come along and enjoy this unique event.

We have set up a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/448626658546445/ for former pupils to tell us their memories of Drumlemble school and to relay information of the celebration in July 2014.

we also have an e-mail address dhomecoming2014@hotmail.com if you require any information or to register your interest in receiving updates of the homecoming.
Drumlemblehomecoming
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Down Memory Lane - Kintyre