Scottish Smallpipes & Concertina!

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

Scottish Smallpipes & Concertina!

Postby Dick Glasgow » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Back in 1983, when I was living in Grantown on Spey, working as a Gardener on the Seafield Estate, my wife & I got together with three other musicians to form a group & we called ourselves - The Sons of Usnach! :<>

Here we are playing at the Dingwall Folk Festival in 1983.

I believe The Clutha, were the first band to use the Smallpipes & Concertina in the same line up, beating us by 6 years! :wink:

Have there been any Concertina players in Campbeltown area?

How popular are Scottish Smallpipes around Campbeltown?

Cheers,
Dick

L to R: Ruairidh Morrison on Flute, Duncan Dyker on Fiddle, Hamish Moore on Scottish Smallpipes, Dick Glasgow on Anglo Concertina & Sabine Glasgow on Harp.
"Take nothing but pictures, Kill nothing but time, Leave nothing but footprints."
Alfred Wainwright
Dick Glasgow
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Scottish Smallpipes & Concertina!

Postby EMDEE » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Dick

To my knowledge the concertina has never really been a feature of traditional music in Kintyre, and I think that historically, the melodeon and two-row button accordion were probably more popular for home entertainment.

As you know, Kintyre has a very strong piping tradition, and over the years has made a contribution to piping which far outweighs its relative size by population. When I was involved with piping in Kintyre a good number of years ago, the standard Great Highland Bagpipe was the only instrument that was used, but I think that some local pipers have taken up the smallpipes as an option for playing indoors. I believe that there has been a general national trend in recent years towards smallpipes, probably promoted by some excellent prominent exponents, although nothing will overtake the phenomenal worldwide popularity of the Great Highland Bagpipe.

Interesting photo, and I note that you had Duncan Dyker in your band. I have known Duncan for a good number of years, as our paths have crossed on numerous occasions going back over a good number of years, principally at the National Mod and Fiddlers Rallies. :D

Maurice
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Scottish Smallpipes & Concertina!

Postby Dick Glasgow » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Hello Maurice,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I always found Duncan to be a real gentleman & I must say, I was very impressed by his attitude towards the music. For example, even after winning a Gold Medal for his Fiddling, he still went to his old teacher for regular tuition. So he clearly recognised the fact that you never stop learning.

Cheers,
Dick
"Take nothing but pictures, Kill nothing but time, Leave nothing but footprints."
Alfred Wainwright
Dick Glasgow
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival