A Neil McArthur bakery:

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: A Neil McArthur bakery:

Postby Iain » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks Pete ! In fact it was Neil who supplied the photo below..., I divided it all up to make the mug-shots.
In the meantime I received a very interesting e-mail from Mhairi..., and I’m now keeping my fingers crossed that she has some photos.
Pete..., you must be a good friend of Neil. It would be wonderful if you could ask his son to post some of his photos here on the Forum. I’m even sure Admin would be pleased to see them. Thanks in anticipation. :wink:

This is a photo of Robert McFarlane McArthur and his wife Janet Rankin. My Grandmother is top middle. For those of you who knew the tobacconist Daniels on the High Street, they may remember May Black behind the counter. May was my Aunt and daughter of Mary in the middle..., identicle !!! Genetics again !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:12 pm

The Neil I mean is Neil Kennedy, present owner......
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby nimps » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:00 pm

My Uncle, Tom McCulloch, was the baker for McArthur's - I remember visiting him at the Bakehouse just at Burnside... it was a fascinating place for a wee lassie... pie machines and lots of flour!
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iain » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 pm

nimps wrote:My Uncle, Tom McCulloch, was the baker for McArthur's - I remember visiting him at the Bakehouse just at Burnside... it was a fascinating place for a wee lassie... pie machines and lots of flour!

Hi there Nimps ! I don't suppose you have any photos ? :wink:

If not..., a brief description would be great. :)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby drollyin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Nimps - Tom McCulloch would have been my great uncle
drollyin
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:22 pm

Wow ! Looks as if we're preparing a knees-up ! :lol:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:18 pm

When I was employed by McArthur's(1969) it was not just Tom McCulloch ,but also his wife Peggy ,who worked in the bakehouse.Peggy was the cleaner,and there is always a lot of cleaning to be done in a bakehouse.It was my job to deliver the rolls to both shops, followed by the pastries and cakes.Later on in the day I would serve in the Longrow shop,and do any store work when needed.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby drollyin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:24 pm

A knees up Iain? lol
drollyin
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:00 am

bill wrote:When I was employed by McArthur's(1969) it was not just Tom McCulloch ,but also his wife Peggy ,who worked in the bakehouse.Peggy was the cleaner,and there is always a lot of cleaning to be done in a bakehouse.It was my job to deliver the rolls to both shops, followed by the pastries and cakes.Later on in the day I would serve in the Longrow shop,and do any store work when needed.

Amazing Bill ! I thought you and your brother worked in the McArthur butchers on the Longrow. I'm really pleased with all those snippets of information..., I'll add them to his part of the tree.

Bill..., Neil Macarthur died in 1950, (1891-1950) so who was the boss during your time there ?
Neil had two sons..., Neil 1930-2007 and Fraser 1932-2010. I don’t have much info on either of them except that Fraser’s wife and daughter are names unknown, because they’re still living. Fraser also had another daughter called Helen after her mother, but she died in 2010.

Thanks..., Iain. :wink:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:30 am

There was two brothers,Neil ,Robbie and a sister Melba.Neil was in charge of the bakehouse on Burnside.Robbie was in charge of the shop on Longrow.Melba was in charge of the Union St. shop.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks Bill ! :wink: With those new names looks as if I'll have to have another look at the census.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion