Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: The Boss!

Postby Frosty » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Fantastc review Ags, thank you so much. Soooooo jealous of you all going to Hyde Park too.
Enjoy every heart thumping, earth shattering second, you lucky people.

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:44 am

Bruce Springsteen & Paul McCartney on stage singing Twist & Shout when the Council decide to switch off the power (whilst they are in mid song) because they were 8 minutes over the curfew! :shock: Only in Britain! :roll:

Great show as ever, review to follow.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Will review too when I'm over this really busy but fabulous weekend! AND when I get over my anger about cutting the Boss off!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Good discussion on Jeremy Vine.Apparently the plug was pulled at 10:45 but all the clubs and pubs stayed open.Most people blamed nimbyism shown by the millionaires on Park Lane.Mind you,if I knew that McCartney was going to sing,I would have pulled the plug! :D
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Right, my throat is like sandpaper and I’m utterly exhausted but I’ve just had the most wonderful weekend! It started with Ags and her lovely family coming to my part of the world an on Saturday, heading off to London. After waiting six hours for Sheik to turn up to The Hard Rock Café, we ate, drank, laughed and set off for the gig.

What were the highlights? There were so many. Bruce strolled on so casually to open this big concert with a solo vocal and piano version of Thunder Road that was slow and expressive and made you really think of the words. This is my favourite track and it was like it was completely reinvented this time. Honestly, I’d have crawled over broken glass to hear that performance - it justified the expense of the ticket all on its own.
The River was somehow even sadder but with a real uplifting chorus.
The crowd singing Glory Days was a blast from the past and Nils Lofgren tore up Because the Night with a brilliant solo. I would say that the tracks from his latest album were every bit the equal of his established classics, especially Wrecking Ball. But Land of Hope And Dreams – wow! This is one of the best songs that Bruce has ever written and this new arrangement of this track is simply glorious.
For me, the very best of the night was a burning, electric version of The Ghost of Tom Joad with Tom Morello delivering one of the most wild and eccentric guitar solos I have ever heard and which blew my mind to smithereens. He accompanied on a few more songs, but nothing matched this one. This week, it’s my favourite Boss song. I even re-read the part of the book again (chapter 28): "Whenever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Whenever they's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there... I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad an' I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry an' they know supper's ready. An' when our folks eat the stuff they raise an' live in the houses they build - why, I'll be there."
When a Spanish fan got his wish for some obscure song to be played because he had spent a lot of money going round his gigs to hear it, it was heroic! When they dig out from their memories a song they haven't played for 10 years because someone just asked for it to be played, you know you are at a Boss concert.

I Saw Her Standing There is a fantastic Beatle song and I couldn't believe it when McCartney came on and Bruce said he had waited 50 years for this moment. You just knew you were seeing some rock history. Fabulous stuff, the crowd were rocking.

I am not, not, not going to say anything about the bureaucratic meatheads that cut off the sound at the end. I am going to try and be positive by saying that probably because at the heart of Springsteen’s songs are the struggles of ordinary people to survive against all the odds stacked against them by an unjust, uncaring state, having a massive, communal celebration of working class values brought to an end by some anonymous government official seems somehow appropriate. Especially for Sir Paul with his memories of that rooftop concert! Ah, history indeed!

My daughter was (reluctantly) at her first Boss concert. Despite the rain, some tw*ts at the concert, the rain and ruddy Big Brother tactics, she said it was the best night of her life and is upstairs right now listening to the Darkness album. Incredible joy!!!!!!!!

But it was all great. All three and a half hours of it, through rain and shine, from Thunder Road to the final ruddy fade out. This was a gig that will go down in history

Folks, this is what heart and spirit and rock and roll guts sounds like!!

Playlist:

1. Thunder Road
2. Badlands
3. We Take Care of Our Own
4. Wrecking Ball
5. Death to My Hometown
6. My City of Ruins
7. Spirit In The Night
8. The Promised Land
9. Take 'Em As They Come
10. Jack of All Trades
11. Empty Sky (solo acoustic)
12. Because the Night
13. Johnny 99
14. Darlington County
15. Workin' on the Highway
16. Shackled & Drawn
17. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
18. Raise Your Hand
19. The River
20. The Ghost of Tom Joad
21. The Rising
22. Land of Hope & Dreams

Encores:
23. We Are Alive
24. Born in the USA
25. Born To Run
26. Glory Days
27. Dancing in the Dark
28. I Saw Her Standing There
29. Twist and Shout

My City of Ruins which was just so moving: "Come on, rise up! Come on, rise up!"

Thank you Bruce, we have risen.’
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:06 am

Brilliant review Govangirl!! I am really emotional reading that but that's maybe because we are just in the door 20 minutes ago and are absolutely shattered but WOW!!, who cares .... What a weekend :D .
We will post our review tomorrow.
"Bruce-washed" teen number 2 had The Boss on her i-pod the whole plane journey and asked for Rosalita to be played again and again in the car down the road saying it reminds her of you :D . Thanks again for a truly brilliant time. Iain already selecting tracks for Jake's "wife to be" :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ags » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:44 pm

What a fantastic weekend! :D
Where do I start? The beginning I suppose.......
We arrived at Gatwick on Thursday night in torrential rain……I see a pattern developing here Mr Springsteen :wink:
Brought my own wellies this time though.
Had a wonderful few days at Chez Govangirl and had the privilege of joining her at work on Friday too, thanks year 10 for a lovely day!!
And then it was Saturday………
We will skip over the bizarre meeting on the train :shock: , the map reading skills, and the fact that Sheik was probably late because he saw the weather and thought he’d leave us to queue in the rain, arriving just in time to be watered, seated and fed :lol:
So, after good blethers and one or two sherbets at Hard Rock Café off we went on the short walk to Hyde Park.
Trying to find our spot in the park, it was quite bizarre to recognise a voice and look up to see The Boss in his checked shirt and shades giving it laldy on stage to “Rockin’ all over the world’ with John Foggerty!!
But then to the main event and the highlights for me……
I can’t put into words any better than what has already been said about the opening and “Thunder Road”. As a latecomer to Bruce, this has only become one of my favourites since seeing it live 3 years ago and what a rendition this was…..absolute class performance! The hairs on my arms were standing on end, and still do when I think about it.
Of the newer tunes “Wrecking Ball” again was brilliant but “Death to my Hometown” with Tom Morello joining The Boss was very special.
“Because the Night” had the whole park rocking with Nils Lofgren giving his all in a wonderful guitar solo. I loved the quote, after the end of concert fiasco, in one of the papers yesterday which said “officialdom gone mad. “Because the night” is now a lousy excuse as well as a fine rock anthem.
Johnny 99, another of the oldies, was also a favourite for me.
We all had to laugh at Bruce singing to the crowd before one song “Hey-hey do you hear me calling, working while the rain is falling” and falling it was by then!!
Have to thoroughly agree with Govangirl that the absolute highlight, and not a song I was very familiar with at all, was “The ghost of Tom Joad”. Spine-tingling fantastic, again with Tom Morello who was unbelievable on guitar. I have been playing it constantly since we came home.
The finale with Sir Paul coming on stage was brilliant. I’m not a massive fan of his, but the man is a legend. To see the two of them on stage together, and for Bruce to say he has “waited 50 years for this moment“, was truly awesome.
After a 10 hour door to door trip on Thursday, followed by a 2 hour journey there and back on Saturday to see The Boss, and that 10 hour journey again yesterday, was I p****d off when they pulled the plug? You better believe I was. We missed out on the great E-street Band goodbye, you could see they were doing it, but we couldn’t hear a thing!!
Another quote I read yesterday said “we live in a pretty sh***y world sometimes and when thousands of people get together from lots of different age groups, religions, colours and creeds, having a good time, with one thing in common, some d***head makes a decision to end the party”. Well said…..!!
I also loved the quote from Boris Johnston who said if they had called him, he would have told them to “continue to jam in the name of the lord”!!
As with Govangirl, there is a teenage convert in this house now. I think she was maybe just too young to appreciate it the last time she saw Bruce.
“Land of Hope and Dreams” , “Thunder Road” and “Born to Run” the favourites for her. She now has an I-pod full of tunes, and all her pals to convert!
Iain still a bit hoarse today but totally buzzing after such a wonderful weekend.
I can’t thank all of Clan “Govan” enough for their generosity and hospitality over a fantastic weekend. It was great to have a “Kintyre Forum Day Out” with them and Mr and Mrs Sheik at what will surely be a rock event which will go down in history!!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Wow, a fantastic review Ags. I can see Frosty turning green as we write!

Ags wrote:the map reading skills,

That was Mr Govangirl taking us on a 20 minute detour through the wind and rain only to arrive at the place we started :evil:

I agree Ags that having two legends on that stage made rock history. Your review has got me buzzing again and can't wait for Sheik's now! :D
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Govangirl wrote:Your review has got me buzzing again and can't wait for Sheik's now! :D

I appear to be in trouble with Mr Ags for not consulting him before posting review so there may be more to come :oops:

Govangirl wrote:Wow, a fantastic review Ags. I can see Frosty turning green as we write!

Frosty, we expect you to be there on our next venture :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Oh dear, what on earth have I missed, History in the making that's what!!!
Thank you both so much for the reviews which were out of this world, I will be there next tour, definitely.
I cannae think of anything else to say, except that '' When the eyes of the world are on the UK, we should be showing everyone what a great Country we live in. It was party time in Hyde Park, Paul Mc Cartney was on stage with Bruce Springsteen, but there were being very naughty boys! Instead of showing how tolerant we are, the authorities decided to show the world that they were in charge and that these two performers would be made an example of!''
What utter idiots, I hope they are never allowed to run a bath never mind any other public event!

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:00 pm

I forgot another highlight!!! We all got very emotional moment during the performance of 'Spirit in the Night' when Jake followed Bruce down front then Bruce lay down flat on his back on the stairs and paused in the verse to remember the good times with his Uncle Clarence, telling Jake, "I don't think you were old enough — you probably weren't even born yet. But me, and your uncle..." before finishing the rest of the song. :cry:

Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:09 am

Loving the sense of humour from The Boss:

After he and Paul McCartney had their microphones cut off in Hyde Park, "The Boss" hits back during a Dublin gig.

Bruce Springsteen Tuesday night poked fun at the London concert organizers who had cut off the power during his Saturday night concert in Hyde Park due to a noise curfew.

When he took to the stage in Dublin, "The Boss" flipped a switch on a big prop power generator, the BBC reported. Springsteen said: "Before we were so rudely interrupted..."

The music star immediately went into the last minute of the Beatles' "Twist And Shout," which he had on Saturday performed with Paul McCartney when organizers cut his power off.

He followed up that song with a cover of The Clash's "I Fought The Law."

STORY: Bruce Springsteen's Guitarist Slams London Concert Curfew

According to the BBC, Springsteen also referenced the London incident several other times during the three-and-a-half hour Dublin gig. For example, he earned much applause when he emphasized that there was no curfew in the Irish capital.

At one point, Springsteen also held up a sign that said "Only the Boss says when to pull the plug."

And near the end of the Dublin show, Springsteen had a man dressed as a London police officer hit the stage and try to arrest him, before a reprise of Twist and Shout for the Dublin crowd.

Also loving Tam Cowan's mention in the Daily Record today:

"only one thing to say to those who pulled the plug on Paul McCartney at the Bruce Springsteen gig.......
Where were you when we REALLY needed you at the Jubilee Concert" :lol:
Never a truer word.......
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:08 pm

That was very funny :lol: :lol: !!

Was wondering the same about Sheik!?? :shock:
Last known contact at 11.26am on Sunday said, "We're heading shopping now, pray for me and pray for my credit card"!! :shock:

I have pleaded with our friends who did Tuesday AND Wednesday in Dublin to give us a wee report from there too so fingers crossed they will, despite there being no Thunder Road either night.
Also forgot to say we watched Twist and Shout from Dublin on youtube to see the arrest and realised Patti was there, brilliant, nice to see her on stage.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc