KILCALMONELL PARISH CHURCH, CLACHAN

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

KILCALMONELL PARISH CHURCH, CLACHAN

Postby rgmckinnon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Hello --

I am writing from Atlanta, Georgia in the USA. I have some sketchy records which indicate that my ancestors, Daniel and Grace Currie MacKinnon, published their marriage banns at the Kilcalmonell Parish Church in Clachan on August 20, 1785. Might you be aware of records which I might access which could confirm or refute that information?

Thank you.

Robert G. McKinnon
Atlanta, Georgia USA
rgmckinnon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: KILCALMONELL PARISH CHURCH, CLACHAN

Postby Mary G » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi Robert

These surnames are very well known to many of us who live in or are from Kintyre. Some forum members are keen genealogists and should be able to help with your specific query. Have you made any contact before, with people who live in or are from Kintyre, in connection with your MacKinnon/ Currie research?

Did you see this story on the Forum: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9810&p=97687 ?

I will pass on your query in any case to my sister; she is across a lot of this detail, and if she can help I'm sure she'll be in touch.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby rgmckinnon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:50 am

Mary --

Thank you so much for your reply and your offer of assistance. We have been gathering information over the years about our family, mostly on the American side of the pond, about Daniel and Grace Curry MacKinnon who sailed to America aboard the sailing ship Industry in 1788 arriving at the port of Charleston SC we believe around November. They settled in what is now Laurinburg, North Carolina (in Scotland County in recognition of the very large number of Scots who settled in what historians refer to as the Cape Fear River Basin).Their descendants remained largely in that area until the latter part of the 1900s when they began to disperse to other areas. Counting Daniel and Grace as the first generation, I would be the sixth generation. I am now beginning to research our roots in the Kintyre area. A distant relative (now deceased) Judge Henry McKinnon has done extensive research into these matters; much of his information was supplied by Captain Ian MacDonald of Clachan. Captain MacDonald's information to Judge Henry McKinnon suggested that the MacKinnons' home was likely at Kennacraig, and that Daniel's parents were probably Alexander and Janet Cook MacKinnon (sometimes noted as "McKinven"). Alexander and Janet are reported to have had five other children, all but one of whom eventually emigrated to Canada and later going on to Australia. Records in Judge McKinnon's hands indicated that Alexander McKinnon is buried at Gartnagrenach near Tarbert, and the inscription on his stone reads "Erected by Alexander and Neil McKinven in memory of their father, Alexander McKinnon, late tenant at Kilnacraig who departed this life the 27th day of August 1808, age 73 years". Judge McKinnon indicated that Captain MacDonald furnished to him information going back as far as 1694 but no direct line can be established to our family beyond Alexander. To your question, I have had no direct contact with anyone in Kintyre up to this point, although my wife and I are contemplating a trip to visit Kintyre sometime in the future.

Again, thank you for your kind assistance and I look forward to any further information that might be forthcoming.

Robert McKinnon
rgmckinnon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby STG » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:10 am

Robert

Although I have no direct connection to this family,I have come across their descendants listed in some detail in the book "Carolina Scots" by Douglas Kelly. The relevant section in that book - just a few of pages - also draws on Judge McKinnon's research, so you may already have the book, or be aware of its content. If not, come back to me and I'll give you the full reference etc.

Good luck with your research and best regards

STG
STG
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby rgmckinnon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 pm

STG --

Thank you for your reply. I do have the book Carolina Scots and agree that it is an excellent reference.

Bob
rgmckinnon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Joy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Dear Robert,
I am a descendant of Neil and Catherine McKinven. I have two family histories, one by John Love who came to Canada before his mother Catherine. The other is written by Neil Carmichael in 1914 in West Lorne, Ontario.. He is the last (his words) of Christina Love(daughter of Neil and Catherine) and Dugald Carmichael's family.

The name of the family was MacIonmhuinn or beloved son, and they lived in a place called, in Gaelic, Ceann-na-craig or head of the rock. I believe this was in or near Tarbert, Argyll. When the clan assumed English names, it broke into several factions, some taking the names MacKinlay or MacKinley, some McKinnon, and our line used McKinven until about 1848 when they changed it to Love.
Our tree begins with Alexander McKinven and Janet Cook as well. I have it that they had two or three girls, one Flora, who went to Australia or New Zealand and one, married a Henderson. The son, Malcolm died in Scotland. The other Henderson children came to Canada and Hendersons were present at the Love Family Reunion in 1921. Another daughter, Sarah married John McTaggart. McTaggarts were also present at the reunion.

Alexander, the son married twice in Scotland. Mary is the daughter of the first marriage to Isabell McCook. She married Colin Ferguson. Both died in Canada.

Alexander remarried to Euphemia Taylor. They are buried in the Love Cemetery near Dutton, Ontario. They had nine children.

Alexander's brother Neil died in Scotland. His wife, Catherine and daughter, Mary, followed the rest of this family to St. Thomas, Ontario.

I have no idea as to how our families are connected, but hope you find the similarities interesting.
Joy
Joy
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby rgmckinnon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:56 am

Joy --

Thank you for your reply. It appears that we may stem from the same roots. Here is some of the information I have.

1760: Daniel McKinnon or Donald (the names were used interchangeably) was born on a farm operated by his father at Kennacraig on West Loch Tarbert, Kintyre, Argyle, Scotland. Kennacraig is south of the village of Tarbert and north of the small village of Clacan. His parents were Alexander McKinven and Janet McCook. The McKinnon family had occupied this land for several generations prior to his birth.

Daniel and Grace Currie McKinnon emigrated to America in 1788 with their eldest son Peter, born in May or June of 1786. Their first daughter Christian was born on May 8, 1788 after six days at sea embarked on the sailing ship Industry from Greenock on the Clyde River. They settled in what is now Laurinburg, Scotland County, North Carolina and ultimately had a family of 12 children. I am descended from their youngest son Murdock, who was my great great grandfather. Daniel and Grace along with many of their descendants down to and including my grandparents are buried in a small family cemetery in Laurinburg.

Bob
rgmckinnon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi Robert !
Based on the names and that marriage date..., I’ve found this. Don’t forget this is just a hint and could be a genealogical trap ! Nonetheless, as you can imagine, it’s quite rare to have two weddings on the same day with the same names.

Daniel Mackinnon
Birth 1756
Marriage 20 August 1785… Kilcalmonell Parish, Kintyre..
Death 1821

Grace Currie
Birth
Death

Daughter:
Mary Mackinnon
Birth 1785
Death 1832

Mary’s husband:
Randol Martin
Birth ca 1775
Residence 1830... Moore, North Carolina, USA.
Residence 1840... Dale, Alabama.
Death ca 1832

Randol’s children:
Nancy Martin 1824 – 1910
Birth 5 Aug 1824 in Moore County, North Carolina, USA
Death 25 May 1910 in Dale County, Alabama, USA

Caroline Martin 1829 – 1901
Birth 8 Jan 1829 in Moore County, North Carolina, USA
Marriage to Fletcher Dowling abt 1847
Marriage to John W. Murdock abt 1860
Residence 1860... Dale, Alabama.
Death 20 Aug 1901 in Tyler County, Texas, USA... Burial; Woodville, Tyler, Texas.

Nancy’s story:
Nancy L. Martin was born 5 August 1824 in Moore County, North Carolina, and was married c. 1844 to James Dowling (1823-1864), probably in Dale County, Alabama.
Family members remembered Nancy Martin Dowling as an old woman sitting on her front porch. They also remember her talking about her husband's death. James died of disease at a military hospital in Danville, Virginia, on 12 September 1864. He had been set to return home on furlough to recuperate from his illness, accompanied by his nephew Samuel Ezekiel Hallford. James' condition worsened suddenly and he died. Hallford continued the journey to Alabama alone. Nancy saw a man in a cloud of dust coming down the lane to her home. She hoped that James had returned, but, to her sorrow, it was his nephew arriving alone to tell her of her husband's death and burial in Virginia.
Nancy continued to rear her nine surviving children alone. She remained a widow for almost half a century, her death occurring 26 May 1910 in Dale County, Alabama. She is buried at Claybank Cemetery beside her in-laws Dempsey and Martha (Stokes) Dowling.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy