McCullough Family Research

Looking to search your family history or share your knowledge on genealogy in Kintyre? Then this is the place for you!

McCullough Family Research

Postby Mary Van Gorden » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:05 pm

I have reason to believe that my ancestor Thomas McCullough and his wife, Nancy (Agnes) Glasgow, both of whom were born in ca. 1790, lived in or near Campeltown before migrating to Ireland in ca. 1813 and then to Canada in 1840. Family tradition says they were from Ruan, Scotland. Could this mean they were from Loch Ruan near Campeltown? I am interested in hiring a genealogist in the Campeltown area who could help me determine whether or not these McCulloughs were indeed from your area.
Mary Van Gorden
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McCullough Family Research

Postby Iain » Tue May 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Mary Van Gorden wrote:I have reason to believe that my ancestor Thomas McCullough and his wife, Nancy (Agnes) Glasgow, both of whom were born in ca. 1790, lived in or near Campeltown before migrating to Ireland in ca. 1813 and then to Canada in 1840. Family tradition says they were from Ruan, Scotland. Could this mean they were from Loch Ruan near Campeltown? I am interested in hiring a genealogist in the Campeltown area who could help me determine whether or not these McCulloughs were indeed from your area.

Hi Mary !

Better late than never so-they-say ! :)

Anyway, if your Thomas had Gera b1837 and Caroline b1841..., I did see an Irish connection.

At the time there was a lot of too-and-fro between Rathlin Island and Campbeltown for many reasons. My grandfather born in Campbeltown had 4 generations in Rathlin.
As such, I believe that you should sign in and surf http://www.rathlin-island.info/?q=node/34
It’s an extremely interesting site and Admin are very helpful.

..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Kintyre Genealogy