Unemployed and "feeling" old ?

The concept of this forum is to help promote local businesses in Kintyre for FREE. This development is currently in BETA stage so please bear with us while it is developed!

Unemployed and "feeling" old ?

Postby Iain » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:26 pm

You’re an experienced entrepreneur with lots of potential..., but following the recession you find yourself over the age of 45 and too old to get a loan from the bank to create a new enterprise better adapted to a totally different ecconomic climate ! Show interest with this post and I’ll reply with a suggestion.
It has worked for me here in Belgium..., so why not you !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Unemployed and "feeling" old ?

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Please expand. :?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:28 am

Hi..., Roger !

I’m a watchmaker/jeweller and I had a shop in Namur for more than 25 years..., great life, until about 3 years before the recession. In a country where Antwerp is the centre of the global diamond industry, I had friends, subcontractors and distributers folding-up one after the other as the population had started giving priority to petrol and heating fuel instead of luxury products.
For me, I held on untill that idiot Bush suddenly declared a recession..., and as I was at the end of a lease, I shut shop with the intent of adapting my work to a totally different economic climate.

With the business plan, financial plan and marketing plan all finished, I presented myself to at least 4 different banks..., and each time, (although they didn’t say as much) my grey hair was laughed at before slamming the door in my face.
(lend today / dead tomorrow so-to-speak)
This went on for at least 2 years and in the meantime and out of work, I absolutely had to find a solution. Then, one day, it suddenly dawned on me that the solution was not only simple and free, but it also increased the competance of the management team.

In fact, I needed a partner..., but not just any old partner ! Male or female, black or white, cleaning woman or Oxford graduate..., above all, this person had to be young. This I did..., and suddenly the banks are now seriously listening.

“Duo-Blending”! Iain Duncan Smith and I were in the Scots Guards together and I wrote to him to tell him about the strategy. I got a reply from his office wishing us all the luck and saying that the idea had been transferred to his department. But of course, it’ll probably take years before it’s integrated into the unemployment system.

2012: Take one grey-haired unemployed entrepreneur with over 25 years of experience and a long customer listing, then combine that person with a highly qualified university graduate and you suddenly find yourself with a team, much better adapted to the economic climate we have around us today.

 I..., provide the experience, the trade secrets, professional caution and a long customer listing. Unfortunately, I’ve never sent an SMS in my life and although Photoshop is nearly second-nature, my general computer competency is far from being considered professional. And as for numbers..., simply the sound of the word gives me spots.
 He..., is not only young, but he adores financial plans / he was born playing with Excel / and he’s extremely dynamic. And he knows exactly what a banker wants to see in a business plan as he has masters in the subject.

I could have chosen a cleaning-woman as a partner as it’s age that counts, but in contacting the local university, I asked them to send out e-mails to students who had terminated their studies last year. (and now out of work) I aimed for the department specializing with potential entrepreneurs. Of course, others like me in the same situation would need a youngster more adapted to their needs or profession.

Jewellery for me is now finished as Sébastien and myself are preparing the manufacture of an every-day dress-watch to be sold to the Brigade of Guards. Wish us luck for 2013 ! :wink:

..., Iain.

PS Don't forget that this could also work the other way round..., young, qualified people out of work could contact the local unemployment office and ask for details relative to experienced entrepreneurs also looking for work !
Last edited by Iain on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:27 am, edited 9 times in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jdcarra » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:39 am

Excellant post Iain :wink:.

I may not be unemployed,but your second quote I know the feeling :( .

Best of luck to you whatever :) .
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:38 am

Best of luck for the future.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Iain, your idea is so simple - too simple - but absolutely brilliant! In fact, it's a strategy that could work across business as a whole under a sort of apprentice-type scheme for more than trades. Employees who have been working for 30 years still doing a great job and with lots of experience but with little idea of what's new in the 21st century would benefit here.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby kathy9 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:34 pm

Great idea Ian, and all the best with it!! Lived in Belgium myself for about 5 years before returning to Scotland, I know that even with unemployment you get much better treated and helped into other work much easier than you do here. Still ... give me Scotland any time!! :D
kathy9
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Mzz pasico » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Brilliant post Iain, I wish you the best of luck, or in other words "gaun yirsels" ! :D
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:24 am

Govangirl wrote:Iain, your idea is so simple - too simple - but absolutely brilliant! In fact, it's a strategy that could work across business as a whole under a sort of apprentice-type scheme for more than trades. Employees who have been working for 30 years still doing a great job and with lots of experience but with little idea of what's new in the 21st century would benefit here.

Thanks all for your very kind words of support, but I posted the strategy to help others.

As GG* mentioned above, it’s just too simple an idea and could even cover EMPLOYED people who feel tied down with daily routine in exactly the same way.
Entrepreneur or potential entrepreneur and dynamic, (young, or old) and you feel that your management team is under-qualified and additional qualifications or experience would increase commercial horizons or increase exports, OR, the company needs a cash-flow boost to develop new ideas or inventions before going under..., then simply do some head-hunting !

*GG ! Lol ! The term “GG” is in constant use in our business plans for the time being. (as is CG / SG / IG / HG / WG) I’ll tell you why later ! :)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:40 am

Still Waiting!!!!
Sent: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:11 pm
To: Iain
*GG ! Lol ! The term “GG” is in constant use in our business plans for the time being. (as is CG / SG / IG / HG / WG) I’ll tell you why later !
----------------------------------
In fact, it was only yesterday that I can openly talk about it with some confidence because I had RHQ London on the phone and the Regimental Adjutant has given permission to publish our survey on my regiment’s April newsletter.
In fact, I’m ex-Scots Guards and the Brigade has 5 Infantry Regiments and 2 Household Cavalry Regiments.
“Septem Juncta In Uno.”

Sorry GG ! :lol:

GG= Grenadier Guards: :wink:
IG... Irish Guards:
SG... Scots Guards:
WG... Welsh Guards:
CG... Coldstream Guards:
HG... Life Guards / Blues and Royals:
Attachments
Fb - Copie.jpg
Fb - Copie.jpg (154.85 KiB) Viewed 50068 times
Last edited by Iain on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:56 am

Hi all ! It’s taken us 18 months of non-stop hard work, but finally the site’s now up and working. http://www.colandmacarthur.com/
This is thanks to the Ministry of Defence providing us with a licence.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was added on the 22/12/2013
The Scots Guards Watch is now being distributed for the Festive season and we are receiving dozens of testimonials.
The latest from Douglas McQueen:
“Dear Iain, just wanted to send you this email to say many thanks for this fantastic watch, it is more than I expected. My wife is manager of H Samuel so adjusting the bracelet is not a problem and she said herself that the watch spells class , style and beauty , so once again thank you and your team , you must be very proud of them , Merry Christmas to every body from your friend Dougie.” :wink:

As for the other Regiments, their watches will be available from March/April 2014.

Image: Last month’s Guards Brigade Magazine :
Attachments
Guards.jpg
Guards.jpg (88.4 KiB) Viewed 50068 times
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:28 am

Colonel of the Regiment HRH The Duke of Kent. (left)
Attachments
2 Multi-screen copy.jpg
2 Multi-screen copy.jpg (287.78 KiB) Viewed 50067 times
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:39 am

A new ‘uni-sex’ collection for Christmas 2016.
Attachments
Uni-sex.jpg
Uni-sex.jpg (164.12 KiB) Viewed 50067 times
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:02 am

The MoD has just accepted to extend our licence to Scotland. :)
As you all know, The Royal Regiment of Scotland have many of the old disbanded regiments as names for their Battalions. (Royal Scots, Black Watch etc) So they are also on our list.
Attachments
1 SCOTS.jpg
1 SCOTS.jpg (857.51 KiB) Viewed 49030 times
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby gray_marian » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:54 am

Well done Iain in your endeavour so far, my late father [Scots Guards] would have appreciated a watch. Know a few salty dogs, would you consider Royal Navy/ Merchant Navy equivalent in the future?
gray_marian
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Businesses in Kintyre