THIS YEAR WOT DO U'S THINK

Details of the 21st Music Festival running from Wednesday 21st - Sunday 25th August 2015, also see www.mokfest.com

THIS YEAR WOT DO U'S THINK

Postby JamieG » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:19 pm

Thinking hard for next year and the band the Beautiful South came into my mind have shared it with a few people but none of the commitee as of yet. Wot do you think :?:
JamieG
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby campbel » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:52 pm

Money! :shock:

Mind you heard Deacon Blue were not cheap...

Not an impossibility but need a bigger venue....

Better off with the Housemartins mind you - London 0 Campbeltown 4! 8)
campbel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Malky » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:09 pm

Saw Doctors? Runrig?

Heard it was 20 grand for Deacon Blue :)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:38 am

Yeah I saw Beautiful South at T in the Park. Would do nicely for the Vic. They were really good as well got the crowd going.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby DMS Graphics » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:04 am

Beautiful South ? No.

Runrig ? possibly.
Seen them in the Vic years ago, also seem to remember they weren't happy about something and said they wouldn't return to Campbeltown.

Deacon Blue were an undoubted success. No disrespect to them, but lots of other well known bands were approached and expressed an interest in coming only to find out they were committed to other venues. So it's not just the money, it's getting a band that you want and are available.

If you can't have a bigger venue, how about 2 different headlining bands, one on Friday night and one on Saturday night. Or judging by the demand for tickets I'm sure Deacon Blue could have sold out both nights.

Headlining next year ? well Deacon Blue can still pull the crowds and another band from years back with crowd rousing songs and are recording a new album.....Simple Minds

Having had the Proclaimers and Deacon Blue playing her could help to entice the bigger names. MOKMF can say well they played here do you think you can follow them.

If only an enterprising local farmer would build a pyramid shaped cow shed ..............you never know !!
DMS Graphics
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby elainemck » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:05 pm

There are some great Scottish bands out there that I think are definite possibilities such as the SawDoctors, Belle & Sebastion (quite regularly play small festivals), Wet Wet Wet, Run Rig, Mull Historical Society etc

But there are also new Scottish bands/artists that love playing at small venues and festivals such as KT Tunstall, Mylo and Idlewild that played at Skye Music Festival. They love the intimate and community atmosphere. You never know with big bands too such as Franz Ferdinand who were quoted in the paper last week that they would love to play a small scottish festival - MOKMF - perfect!! :P Or why not even Travis or Texas!!!

Beautiful South would be fab crowd pleasers.
Elaine
elainemck
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby sentrano » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:06 am

you could probably get wet wet wet, since Marti Pellows being reduced to releasing an album of WET WET WET remixes!!!! but they would pull a good crowd and might be cheap
sentrano
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:07 pm

Mylo
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mary G » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:23 pm

Mylo - great idea!
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Headline Band For Festival

Postby Frosty » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:14 pm

How about Mr Jim Kerr and SIMPLE MINDS or Nazareth (keeping the Scottish theme )
They would sell out in Seconds and perhaps an outdoor concert with a much larger capacity should be considered as I'm sure the tickets would sell.
There must be a field somewhere that could be used as your '' Knebworth ''
If not I agree with Michael , two '' Headline '' nights with Two different bands covering different musical directions.

Frosty
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby take_a_pop » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:05 pm

Here is my veiw on the music festival nights, why dont tickets for different nights get sold in such a way, that it gives everyone a chance to get them for at least 1 night or the other, it P's me off year in year out when some people get tickets for both nights, and others can never get 1 for any night.
Time for the committee to look at a better way of ticket distibution, and why should saturday night ticket holders get 1st refusal for survivers night tickets ?.
I mean its not as if tickets for these night wont sell, there are plenty of us out here, would like to go to at least 1 of the events, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain tickets for any of the nights.
Can something be done, to change this problem, or is it another case of (if your not fast, your last).
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:57 pm

take_a_pop wrote:I mean its not as if tickets for these night wont sell, there are plenty of us out here, would like to go to at least 1 of the events, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain tickets for any of the nights.
Can something be done, to change this problem, or is it another case of (if your not fast, your last).

Oh poor Pop!! I just had a vision of him in his white jammies and nightcap, hopping and hobbling and shuffling along with his cane as fast as he could (an inch at a time). Someone help the poor old thing get tickets!
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby IainJ » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:51 pm

take_a_pop wrote:
Here is my veiw on the music festival nights, why dont tickets for different nights get sold in such a way, that it gives everyone a chance to get them for at least 1 night or the other, it P's me off year in year out when some people get tickets for both nights, and others can never get 1 for any night.
Time for the committee to look at a better way of ticket distibution, and why should saturday night ticket holders get 1st refusal for survivers night tickets ?.
I mean its not as if tickets for these night wont sell, there are plenty of us out here, would like to go to at least 1 of the events, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain tickets for any of the nights.

HI take_a_pop

The tickets for the music festival are already sold individually so everyone already gets a chance to get them for any night they want.

The reason the committee did this was to make it fairer for everyone.

Last year the whole layout of the festival was changed with the Saturday night being split into two concerts allowing far more tickets to be available for everyone who wanted to go. There is always going to people who miss out and the committee tried to address that by changing the format of both Saturday and Sunday nights in the Vic to allow a lot more tickets than previous years. There was also the introduction of the Picture House as new venue, which again provided additional tickets.

After spending much of last year restructuring the festival, the committee intend to run then event in a similar structure this year. This will give them a chance to sort out some of the things that did not work as well as expected last year.

Hope this helps and maybe see you there this year.

Iain
IainJ
Active Poster
Active Poster

MOKMF

Postby ROOSTER » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:52 pm

does it have to be a scottish band ? maybe not everybodys cup a tea but BAD MANNERS or that type of music would rock the vic , on scottish bands AZTEC CAMERA,BLUE BELLS.........................................
ROOSTER
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Music Festival Headline Act

Postby Frosty » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 pm

How about '' Fish'' (Ex Marillion Lead Singer )
I'm sure He would provide a sell out concert and plenty to talk about during and after the show ! !
Any news yet of possibilities ? The Who would have been great , but looks like they will be tired out after their Sunday Evening ''T in The Park.
Please keep us informed.
Regards
Frosty
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Mull of Kintyre Music Festival