Run 4 it Proposed visit to Jogscotland

For 2011 we have decided to give the healthy local running and jogging community a forum of their own!

Re: Run 4 it Proposed visit to Jogscotland

Postby Pans Lass » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi Elaine

Thank you for your positive response .

It won't be until after the New Year anyway but once we get a confirmed date we will let everyone know and as previously stated no pressure to buy !
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonplodder » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Hey Fiona

You should try a bit of barefoot running, get ur erse over here to Lagos next weekend and you can run barefoot with the Kids from Oshodi, they run in the "Mayors Mini Marathon" every month in their bare feet, thats 13.1km (8.2miles) in ur bare feet, that the equivelant to running around the moss with no shoes on, some of these kids are as young as 7 and 8 too. The first time I ran with them I couldnt believe what I was seeing, at 3km this kid who didnt even reach up to my arm pit was running beside me and they didnt have any shoes on, and the best of it was I wasn't exactly hanging around either, that was a real eye opener for me.

Seriously though, you should get yourself a pair of "Fingers" , they are about as close as I'd like to get to barefoot running, I've had a pair for just over 2 years now, and they are great, I've done a little bit of running in them and they are not too bad, you just have to build up very slowly with them as your ankles and feet and calves need to get used to the increased pounding on them. They are very comfortable for walking around in too, but you can run on the grass, on the sand, in the water, on the road and in the forestry with them so they are very versatile, the only thing is they are pretty expensive if you dont use them, I think they still come in about £80 odd a pair which is pretty steep for something that makes ur feet look like a Gorillas feet.

I do think its Important that people have proper fitting shoes and if that means that novices have to go to places like Run 4 It to get advice then so be it, but 20 odd year ago we didn't have the likes of Run 4 It and gait machines and we managed to survive ok, even now ive still had the odd pair of shoes that have not been totally right for me, and as DJD has pointed out even the experts with their gait machines cant always get it right, they can only make a guess and even the right fitting shoe in one brand might not be the same as the right fitting shoe in another brand. My advise is find a shoe that you like, splash the boat out a bit and buy yourself another pair and then check the running press and net to see when they start to get discounted and then buy another 2 pair even if the first 2 pair aint worn out, 12 months after u buy them originally you'll get them at least half the price they were originally

go check out:- http://www.sportsshoes.com for good discounted shoes, ive been buying from them for about 20 years now and their stock and service is very good

Weetoonplodder

From Hot And Sticky Lagos
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby fiona28 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks for your cheerful response Wee Toon Plodder, Im not going to ask about the "hot and sticky" bit - not on a public forum anyway. I know the "fingers" you are on about, many people wore them in the gyms in Edinburgh when I was up there doing my training - very interesting piece of kit.

You were a boy compared to the age of the men you were training with in them days plodder, most of them will be in their 60's now I reckon are many of them still running or do they have knee problems etc now that they have reached a certain age - I know one of them has had a double hip replacement - this might be from other reasons to - a matter of opinion - or it may be too much impact - who will ever know.

I must really be unfortunate in that when I buy shoes off the internet or cheap ones my left instep just doesnt like it, either that or its my dancing feet that dont like running shoes!!! I did have a pair that I had been fitted for in Run 4 It and then bought these continually until I couldnt get the type anymore - and was blister and black toe free. I dont think Ive seen many runners with 10 full toes in a while :D

I havent got back to training myself since the mok so will need to taper in before I come over and run with you and those wonderful barefooted children - I am seriously tempted - I always believe that running is a freedom that should be enjoyed by all , whenever and whereever they feel that need - this sounds like a perfect freedom xx

Have a lovely festive and dont burn the soles of your feet on the hot sand while barefoot and hot and sticky xxxx
Dance like no-one is watching....
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:36 am

Well done with what you are trying to do folks!! I have had my gait tested by both Run4it and Achilles Heel and funnily enough, they must both be using the same manual of "make you believe" as both recommended the same choice of shoe.
I love my trainers, and now that I know what suits, will get the local shop to order them for me, old stock or new, who cares so long as they feel good!
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby DJD » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:29 am

Don't we all love a happy ending to a story (lol)
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonplodder » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:20 pm

The odd black toe nail on ur feet are ur trophies of war Fiona, you should be proud of them and dont be ashamed to show them off, you got them through nothing but long hard hours on the road, dont just blame poorly fitting trainers for them. I was told that treating them with "Tea Tree Oil is good for them, as for the blisters, as ive said before, burst them, drain them and then soak ur feet in warm water and a few generous heap spoonfuls of baking soda, dry them and leave to air for about 20 mins, better that than leaving them as bulging blisters.

Hot And Sticky Lagos is just what it says it is Hot And Sticky, its regularly hitting 34-36deg C every day now, and its pretty humid too, average temp at 5.30am is 22-24deg C that's when we go running here, even on a Saturday when we do a long run we have to be finished by 9.30 at the latest as it hitting 28-29deg C, Ive had some interesting runs when here though.

I wont be burning my toes in the hot sand over here over the Christmas period, will be freezing them of on Westport Beach in the slog in the sand if im lucky, hit the uk on the 21st for 2 weeks then back to hot and sticky lagos

Anyway im sure the Run 4 It visit will be good for all, it might encourage a lot more to get into keeping fit if they are given a bit of proper advice, im sure that it might also be good competition for the local shops in the towns concerned because it might encourage them to cater better for runners with their stock. As much as it might be a P R exercise for run for it, they still would not do this unless there was some sign of financial gain in the long run but there is nothing wrong with that, at least they are showing initiative when the economy is pretty poor and luxuries like buying sports equipment are usually put on the back burner

Weetoonplodder

From Hot And Sticky Lagos
weetoonplodder
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby fiona28 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:00 am

Hey Plodder, was just wondering, do the boy runners paint their skin with nail varnish where the nail used to be. I know that's what us girls do for a night out with open toed shoes :lol:
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 am

So much for "building bridges" :shock: :roll:
It's nice to read positive upbeat posts from somebody with your years of experience WTP! It's far more constructive than somebody just saying black everytime one of us says white!! (most definitely no pun intended :D )
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby DJD » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:46 pm

No stones coming back your way, I like to say (lol). Been brought up if the cap fits wear it, if not let it go over the top.
DJD
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby fiona28 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Another thread ruined!!! :(

Wonder why hardly anyone uses this forum now, I just dont get it???????

They must all be wearing caps :(

I am away to get my thick woolly hat on and wont be participating again, over and out folks x
fiona28
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:34 pm

Over and out from me too! HOW SAD!! :(
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Pans Lass » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:17 pm

hey girls rise above this and don't let this ...?.... Win . :twisted: :evil:
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:16 am

I agree with Pans Lass ladies.

Don't let it get to you. It's great to see all those non-experts out running and enjoying themselves on a regular basis.
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby Pans Lass » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Pete Reek wrote:I agree with Pans Lass ladies.

Don't let it get to you. It's great to see all those non-experts out running and enjoying themselves on a regular basis.

Thanks Pete Reek ...we enjoy what we do and yes need to try not let the so called 'expert' Interfere as Jog Scotland has done wonders for this town .
Pans Lass
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:36 am

What happened to the post from the early hours of Friday morning?
It's disappeared without a trace.
Unless of course I was still dreaming and only thought I read it some time before 8 o clock.
Old age doesn't come alone!!
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

PreviousNext

Return to Local Running/Jogging News and Chat